Emission recall 24CV. Inlet air box.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I guess they talking about the stop for the snow flap. I got the Diesel Geek fix for that .

tsegreti

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 2004 Jetta GLS TDI
I was wondering the same thing. Is it the same problem/part that the Diesel Geek fix remedies? I haven't done the Diesel Geek fix yet and might just go with the recall if its the same thing.

Nurse Diesel

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen 6-spd. MT
I just called VW about the 24CV recall, after I was told by my local dealer that they don't perform that recall without doing the entire emissions mod. Although I wasn't given a specific answer yet, the service rep is "escalating" my inquiry and referring it to a regional manager who is supposed to contact me within the next 36 hours. I've already been lied to once by the service guy at St. Augustine VW, so I'm not taking their word for anything at this point. I'll post a follow-up here in case anyone's interested.

tsegreti

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 2004 Jetta GLS TDI
I just called VW about the 24CV recall, after I was told by my local dealer that they don't perform that recall without doing the entire emissions mod. Although I wasn't given a specific answer yet, the service rep is "escalating" my inquiry and referring it to a regional manager who is supposed to contact me within the next 36 hours. I've already been lied to once by the service guy at St. Augustine VW, so I'm not taking their word for anything at this point. I'll post a follow-up here in case anyone's interested.
Yeah, I'm interested in what they say. Thanks

Nurse Diesel

TDI
True to their word, I got a call yesterday from VW regional manager Sarah, about the 24CV recall. It is indeed a separate recall, and the dealers should do it outside the total emission mod. She said she'd called St. Auggie VW and discussed it with the service manager; but I'd just talked with one of his advisors a half hour before and was still being told it was part of the total package. So now I get to call them a fourth time (St. Aug VW) to try to get an appointment for this!

How do you guys feel about this particular recall? My car has just 44,000 miles on it and may eventually get the full mod, but I haven't decided yet. Still waiting for feedback from people on this forum who get "the fix."

Nurse Diesel

TDI
Update: Just confirmed appointment tomorrow for 24CV recall ONLY. When questioned how long service will take, advisor stated that if car doesn't pass 02 test after flap is replaced, it will take two days for them to get new sensor and install. When I told her I'll need a loaner in that case, she tried to offer a "shuttle" but I said I absolutely must have loaner since I have no other transportation and live half hour from dealer. Somewhat grudgingly (my perception anyway) agreed to that.

Appears to be some miscommunication between VWOA and dealers.

obie84

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Sportwagen
I'll do the recall just out of spite....

How do you guys feel about this particular recall? My car has just 44,000 miles on it and may eventually get the full mod, but I haven't decided yet. Still waiting for feedback from people on this forum who get "the fix."
I'm still so burned up about VW's institutional fraud--and that crappy screwed up pano sunroof that cost me $1200--that I'd make them do the recall repair even if I was planning to sell the car back to them the next week. :mad:
And I do indeed plan to have them perform the repair in the next couple of weeks. As it is I'll probably drive my Sportwagen another 4-10 months, if I can stand my half-closed sunroof being sealed with duct tape that much longer.
Your dealer should stop whining; you're actually doing them a favor since VWOA will pay them to do the job.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
This is not the swirl flap inside the intake (which the DG fix is for)

there is a valve at the bottom of the air intake box, which is connected to a medium diameter hose that heads to the side of the engine by the firewall.

this valve directs warmer air into the intake stream (before the filter) when it is cold.

the recall also includes a possible O2 sensor, if the sensor shows as failed after this fix

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Could this be the reason for odd (non-seasonal) drifts in fuel mileage? Has anybody here ever looked at this valve?

Nurse Diesel

TDI
OOPSIE on the 24CV recall. I just had another call from the VW regional rep, who now says there are two recalls on the snow flap--24CX and 24CV. This time around she said the 24CV actually is not a stand-alone, but part of the total mod. Sounds like VW better gets its stuff together and give its dealers correct info. Mine isn't gonna be happy if they don't get paid for that job!

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
It seems that as usual, VW is pretty good at confusing their own people and their customers. It's probably best to give them some time to sort it out for themselves, before volunteering yourself as beta tester...

Smakro

TDI
2011 Jetta
Visited dealership service yesterday to have them do the recall on the snow flap. Wouldn't do it unless they did the software revision first. Spoke with VW dealer support trying to understand why...no where in the recall letter was the snow flap linked to the emissions fix. They could not explain anything. Went back to the dealership service manager and asked is driving my cheater "safe?" He wasn't sure. Great answer VW!

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a look and took some pics. Looks like the seal/gasket on my flap is broken. And it's half open at 66F.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
I stopped by my dealer (Bill Jacobs, Chicago burbs) for the free car wash, and inquired about the hot air flap fix. The service writer I talked to claimed that VW had instructed them to only apply this fix in conjunction with the dieselgate fix. I told him that he has wrong information, but politely declined to spend any more of my time on their education.

It always seems to take them (VW and this dealer) quite a while before they are able to sort out applicability of recalls correctly. My exhaust flap fix was also initially declined, and it took them a few months to figure out that my car is indeed on the list of vehicles covered by the recall, and reimburse me.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
I just did the snow flap recall today. Result was better initial throttle response. I took the car on a second drive from cold just to verify that it indeed makes a difference. The engine likes cold (70F) air much better. Mine was stuck half open even in summer.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
I believe it is the first one after the turbo. Pointing straight up on the top of the DPF inlet.

Jsmoe

TDI
2013 Sportwagen
This recall was discovered when the TDI team was developing the remedy...crazy thing is that the engineers also 'discovered' that some DPF's had hole in them along with the snow flap being discovered stuck in the open position.