www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old July 3rd, 2017, 19:07   #16
carsaremytoys
Veteran Member

I almost pulled the trigger. Everything was good until halfway through the test drive coming to a stop the oil pressure dropped all the way down and the light came on just for a second. Got back, killed the engine and waited 5 or so minutes and checked the oil. Nothing registered. He told me it was due for it's 3k mile rotella t6 oil change and there was oil all underneath, but I understand it's a truck that is going to leak and fling oil everywhere. The factory turbo only had 20k on it. I figure the engine was burning a good amount...
carsaremytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 20:14   #17
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Oh man. My lowly 7.3 with 210k holds its oil just fine. You'll find a better one.
turbobrick240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 21:00   #18
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsaremytoys View Post
I almost pulled the trigger. Everything was good until halfway through the test drive coming to a stop the oil pressure dropped all the way down and the light came on just for a second. Got back, killed the engine and waited 5 or so minutes and checked the oil. Nothing registered. He told me it was due for it's 3k mile rotella t6 oil change and there was oil all underneath, but I understand it's a truck that is going to leak and fling oil everywhere. The factory turbo only had 20k on it. I figure the engine was burning a good amount...
There is absolutely nothing in a properly maintained Cummins that should drop oil, especially at that low a mileage. Short of someone goofing the filter gasket, not much you can carelessly get wrong . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 06:38   #19
\/\/0J0
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: At least 2x that of my TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
There is absolutely nothing in a properly maintained Cummins that should drop oil, especially at that low a mileage. Short of someone goofing the filter gasket, not much you can carelessly get wrong . . .
The truck does have 222k on it. I'm not sure what was meant about factory turbo with 20k..?
There are a couple of places that oil likes to come out of B series engines. The first is the tappet cover, located on the driver's side behind the injection pump, it has a gasket that can be quite finicky to seat properly. The second is the timing gear train cover. Despite having a gasket available for the application, the accepted practice is to use rtv to seal it up because of the likelihood of leaks developing from using the gasket alone.
Still should not be leaking so much that is doesn't register on the dipstick in less than 3k after being refilled.

Sent from my mobile look-at device

"Those willing to sacrifice Liberty for Security deserve neither" -Ben Franklin
\/\/0J0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 06:41   #20
carsaremytoys
Veteran Member

I meant factory oem, replacement. Not original
Old July 4th, 2017, 10:38   #21
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/0J0 View Post
The truck does have 222k on it. I'm not sure what was meant about factory turbo with 20k..?
There are a couple of places that oil likes to come out of B series engines. The first is the tappet cover, located on the driver's side behind the injection pump, it has a gasket that can be quite finicky to seat properly. The second is the timing gear train cover. Despite having a gasket available for the application, the accepted practice is to use rtv to seal it up because of the likelihood of leaks developing from using the gasket alone.
Still should not be leaking so much that is doesn't register on the dipstick in less than 3k after being refilled.

Sent from my mobile look-at device
Sounds like maybe a dingus did a valve lash adjustment and botched putting the covers back on (or reused old gaskets far too many times)?
Old July 4th, 2017, 11:07   #22
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s

Quote:
GAD

No oil on stix?

Seller did not even prep the unit with full oil?

IMO, seller is no one for you to trust.

Friendly advise

... run as fast as you can

... look else where.
Old July 4th, 2017, 12:19   #23
carsaremytoys
Veteran Member

What's GAD?
And I disagree about the honest part. He passed my test of many complicated questions.
People that "prep" their cars are hiding something.
Old July 4th, 2017, 13:40   #24
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s

Quote:
What's GAD?
And I disagree about the honest part. He passed my test of many complicated questions.
People that "prep" their cars are hiding something.
It's your $$$$s and your future -- Happy motoring
Old July 4th, 2017, 13:43   #25
carsaremytoys
Veteran Member

You are not at all contributing to this world.
Old July 4th, 2017, 13:45   #26
tadawson
Veteran Member

Well, as they say . . . never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity. Sounds like the owner just didn't care much about this truck, and just didn't have the mental firepower to do simple things like fixing leaks and checking oil level . . .

It's hard not to wonder how many times he has starved it for oil, and what kind of shape the bearings are in . . . heck, that might be why he lunched a turbo - they are not at all fond of running dry.

All in all, I think what we are all saying is that there are enough things of concern here (for whatever reason) to not even come close to that asking price bei g reasonable, and/or make a buyer run away . . .

Last edited by tadawson; July 6th, 2017 at 13:45.
Old July 6th, 2017, 12:52   #27
crazyrunner33
Veteran Member

Low oil is an automatic no for those engines. It's best to find a truck that's close to stock and well maintained, preferably with paper air filter. Just because the engine is one of the most legendary engines that is hard to screw up, it doesn't mean that it's immune to neglect. Personally, I'd run from any Cummins with a K&N; been there, done that, got the T-Shirt, and the $7,000 dollar rebuild. The transmission is also not bulletproof, even the NV4500. The NV4500 is weak, plus the synchronizers are more sensitive to oil type than the PD TDI camshafts.

As a 12 valve owner, I can admit that they are not the kings. The 6.7 and '06 to '07 5.9 are the true kings of power on the street. The insanely wide range of dynamic timing allows them to spool much larger turbos without much smoke and significantly faster response. You can daily drive a 69mm turbo and spool that'll support over 750 hp better than a 12 valve with a smaller turbo for 500 hp. The CP3 in the common rail is just as reliable as the P7100, and the '06 and newer injectors are very reliable, they do not have the stigma of the first gen common rails. A 12 valve needs a small set of compounds and a built auto to make a fun streetable 600 hp or more.
Old July 6th, 2017, 17:33   #28
greenskeeper
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53mpg

cummins is the best engine in a junk dodge

7.3 is a tick below the cummins but in a ford truck that won't fall apart around the engine
99 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF-6 (4" turbo back, Hydra chip)
greenskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 19:11   #29
carsaremytoys
Veteran Member

I know that the Dodges fall apart due to rust.
Old July 8th, 2017, 20:28   #30
tadawson
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskeeper View Post
cummins is the best engine in a junk dodge

7.3 is a tick below the cummins but in a ford truck that won't fall apart around the engine
Yeah, the engines just grenade, rendering the rest irrelevant . . . .

Frankly, I think the newer Ram's are better in that regard . . . I have a 2011, and not a mark on it (granted, in TX).