www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old June 17th, 2017, 12:31   #1
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s
Question Shopping for better rates on car insurance VW Golf TDi

MODs, please move if not in correct area

The insurance company I am now with is not important. But I have have the same agency and company for decades.

I shopped 3 different ins firms the last 48 hours.

2 cars (2015 Golf TDi and 2015 RAV4) plus home.

Regarding the questions on my TDi two of the firms went into heavy questioning, regarding any modifications

Like:

Have you made any changes to the drive train?
Is you car "stock"?
Have you changed the HP?

No questions were ask about the (gasser) RAV4

Both COMP and Collision (same levels) were approx 50% higher on the TDi than the RAV4

All this interest on my part was sparked by 2 increases in my monthly cost last 12 months. All due to the TDi.

No fault to us, like tickets

Anyone out there getting insurance increases (not your fault) on your TDIs?
6,073 miles ~~ Buy Back will yield $25,625. ~~ FIX would yield $8,000-ish
Come June, 2018, Buy Back yields 3 years FREE driving & $5,130 cash profit. - 'bout $5 per day
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 12:40   #2
tonestar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015vwgolfdiesel View Post
MODs, please move if not in correct area
The insurance company I am now with is not important. But I have have the same agency and company for decades.
I shopped 3 different ins firms the last 48 hours.
2 cars (2015 Golf TDi and 2015 RAV4) plus home.
Regarding the questions on my TDi two of the firms went into heavy questioning, regarding any modifications
Like:
Have you made any changes to the drive train?
Is you car "stock"?
Have you changed the HP?
No questions were ask about the (gasser) RAV4
Both COMP and Collision (same levels) were approx 50% higher on the TDi than the RAV4
All this interest on my part was sparked by 2 increases in my monthly cost last 12 months. All due to the TDi.
No fault to us, like tickets
Anyone out there getting insurance increases (not your fault) on your TDIs?
My insurance was less on my 2015 golf tdi than my 2016 Acura ILX by about $120 yearly....
tonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 12:57   #3
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonestar View Post
My insurance was less on my 2015 golf tdi than my 2016 Acura ILX by about $120 yearly....
Good to hear

May I please ask the name of your insurance company?
Come June, 2018, Buy Back yields 3 years FREE driving & $5,130 cash profit. - 'bout $5 per day
Old June 17th, 2017, 13:18   #4
tonestar
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015vwgolfdiesel View Post
Good to hear

May I please ask the name of your insurance company?
Geico
tonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 13:20   #5
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonestar View Post
Geico

Thanks
Old June 17th, 2017, 13:52   #6
Rico567
Veteran Member

We use Country Mutual, which we have done for 40 years, whether or not that means anything. But our rates are stable, probably because we're in our '70s and live in a small midwestern city, which factors are probably not seen as high risk. Maybe the Passat we drive has something to do with it, too, but they've never asked about mods, tuning, etc.
If I was sixteen again (perish the thought!) and lived in a geographically risky area, I would expect my rates to be much higher. Life is more lethal for sixteen year old drivers than for any combat soldier in Afghanistan.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 15:05   #7
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
We use Country Mutual, which we have done for 40 years, whether or not that means anything. But our rates are stable, probably because we're in our '70s and live in a small midwestern city, which factors are probably not seen as high risk. Maybe the Passat we drive has something to do with it, too, but they've never asked about mods, tuning, etc.
If I was sixteen again (perish the thought!) and lived in a geographically risky area, I would expect my rates to be much higher. Life is more lethal for sixteen year old drivers than for any combat soldier in Afghanistan.
As I have had my currant ins co. for decades, no one ever ask me either. But they did hit my rate on the TDi (not the RAV4) which was the reason for shopping other firms.

In taking to "other ins firms," they did say SF was raising rates for a large area even bigger than OK. But this was just speculation on thier part.

Would seem fair(er) if the individual(s) who are making claims to pay more. Much more

Question for all:

Do you know of any firms who discount for garage kept cars? Top tier FICO scores? Very low miles driven, like 2,500 per year?
Old June 17th, 2017, 16:59   #8
surfstar
Veteran Member

Geico

If you can't get a quote via online yourself and are "required" to speak with an "agent" - you're likely paying too much. Less people interaction = cheaper, just like most things now-a-days.
surfstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 00:35   #9
CRSMP5
Veteran Member

TDI(s): idi

yes companies do exist where garage kept/low mileage exist.. hagerty for example... people tend to use it more for a collector type car... id say dieselgate cars will be rair so may qualify?? honestly.. a smart i wanna keep it till the end should contact people like hagerty and insure them stated value for the buy back quote.. so if totaled by buy back end date get buy back amount

my white kubvan is up to 171/year 16k stated value, 0 deductable and no milage limit.. they add $750/year in stated value for $4/year increase started under 150/year this is thru classic collectors though.. im waiting to see how much the stated value gets... before someone says wait a min.. its up to 20k on something that started at 10k.. id be stupid to not total it and buy a few more at that point.. burnt toast is safe.. he cannot be replaced that easy... but honestly.. it makes me wonder... cause unless it burnt or got t boned so hard it could not be fixed.. alot can be spent on fixing him right before it gets to a totaled state

my 84 coupe, and 96 jetta are under 50/mo thru progressive

blue kubvan they want 100/mo as its unmodded and the people who insure white one refuse along with every other company except progressive who swear it can only have commercal insurance both have true kubvan vin numbers.. not rebadged..

one day ill find a way to also insure my b3 wagon td conversion and jackrabbit and the blue kubvan and keep costs in reason.. damb car horders.. but i do have historicals on all but 1 :P so got plate fees in reason.. only have to buy 1 a year and yes all are in the garage.. ive had my agent for 23 years.. he finds me deals better then automated computer systems... hagerty for example.. in computer all my collection is 750/year but real life when you receive paper on it was over 2k...

Last edited by CRSMP5; June 18th, 2017 at 01:20.
CRSMP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 18:27   #10
UNsweet
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfstar View Post
Geico

If you can't get a quote via online yourself and are "required" to speak with an "agent" - you're likely paying too much. Less people interaction = cheaper, just like most things now-a-days.
My insurance with Geico was $50 more a month than USAA ($100) here in Florida. Same coverage, same clean record.

Alas, my oldest is taking her drivers test on Thursday... there go my rates (she has to pay the difference).
UNsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 12:50   #11
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Default Got unsolicited letter from Travelers

It said I could apply for a quote, and get a $20 SHELL gas card.

I have the quote. (not competitive with my currant ins.)

Wife, or someone, will use it
Old June 28th, 2017, 15:54   #12
ezshift5
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Please note Fuelly...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNsweet View Post
My insurance with Geico was $50 more a month than USAA ($100) here in Florida. Same coverage, same clean record.
Some time back USAA raised my two-car insurance policy 54 per cent.

Calling the retired two-star CEO was a waste - - - unlike my personally speaking to the retired one-star P-38 pilot CEO when I was wearing silver bars.

I've been with Geico since.

When I ask USAA for a two-car quote............(they remain noncompetitive). Sad.

YMMV

USAA - to be fair - remains VERY competitive for Homeowner's insurance.

ez (Navy)
Old June 28th, 2017, 15:56   #13
hey_allen
Veteran Member

Strange, the issues with USAA going up so high.

For me, I just went to USAA when Progressive had been creeping up steadily for ~6 months, with no reason or cause.
When I moved to USAA, my rates went down by ~60%.

Geico has always been non-competitive in their quotes for my business, for some reason. My first time getting one from them was almost 50% above the Costco insurance provider that I was using at the time.
hey_allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 16:28   #14
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

Maybe the USAA issue is due to age, location or a few losses in your area ....
Have USAA and it was within $10-15 of the best price I could get...so simply stayed with them because their service and ease of use is second to none.
Found the same with homeowners, and our mortgage.
So close it wasn't worth the effort to move or not use them.

To the OP
shop around... having friends who work DEEPLY in the insurance industry, it's all numbers and models from the accuariry....and the difference between companies and their business plans are what makes the $$ varry a bit.

Personally, service is worth $$ to me...have heard horror stories from others...me, have never had even a issue. Heck, as a customer, USAA has always seemed to work for ME.
They even took a slight $$ hit when our mortgage loan, which they said they would always service was caught up in the GMAC bankruptcy and the usaa contract was voided, and servicing was started by SKUM IDIOTS AT GREEN TREE, where they would cash the check, but not apply it to the loan!! Yes, usaa stepped up, did a true 0 cost re-fi, and even adjusted the loan amount to make it so we were not harmed by the ongoing issues with the new loan company. Made me a customer for life. HONESTLY.
I hope your agent works similarly for you.

Last edited by ZippyNH; June 28th, 2017 at 16:31.
ZippyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 16:57   #15
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

How would you feel if you paid XXX dollars for your insurance and a neighbor on the other side of the street everything being the same, either pays less or more.
Someone on another block, again everything being equal may pay more or less.

At least where I live in Canada the insurance companies have different rates depending on your postal code (ZIP) ! That of course also includes age, experience driving etc., accident free.
All interior bulbs to LED. Several VCDS modifications. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes.LED DRL's.Average 1 year 30/6/16 to 30/6/17 - 50.71 Mpg - 5.56 L/h

Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote