www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 26th, 2017, 16:30   #1
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

Default Turbo oil feed line crack!

Today when I left work I saw a puddle of oil under my car! Im glad I noticed it because it was leaking pretty good! I popped the hood and started it up. Instantly noticed a steady drip coming from the oil feed line down near the oil filter. I shut the car off and checked the oil. It was a little low but not much at all. I had about a 10 mile drive to get home. I decided to go for it... I stopped a few times to check the oil and make sure the leak wasnt getting worse. By the time i got home it was down to about 1/2 of the knurled part of the stick. What a mess! So question is.... What are the chances of any serious damage to the engine or turbo? The oil was a little low but not too bad.... and was the turbo starving for oil since it was losing pressure out the crack???? I didnt have many options other than drive it or walk from where I was. No cell service until about 2 miles from my house. So I drove it about 10 miles.... Its all back roads. I kept it under 2000rpm and did not go over 4 or 5psi boost. I put a spare line I had from my other car....cleaned up the mess and topped off the oil. It took about 1 qt. to get it back up to full. I wired wheeled the bad line to see the crack.... I couldnt even see it until I bent it a little to open it up. so you can see how fast you lose oil even from a 1/4" long hair line crack! What a crappy way to start friday night! Is this a common issue on these cars? Now Ive had this happen once on my TDI and once on my Mercedes diesel! what gives!

Old May 26th, 2017, 18:33   #2
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium Falcon View Post
Is this a common issue on these cars?
Are both of the oil line mounting clamps still in place?
Rembrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 18:39   #3
Celco
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~41 average

Sucks that crap like that happens.

I have 2 used ones in good condition I can sell you. Replaced them for SS lines. Didn't twist them up either. Option.
Celco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 18:47   #4
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

Yeah i feel like between the car, my truck, and the lawn tractor... im constantly working on something. The mounting clamps were not on the car when I got it.... that could cause some stress on things right? My parts car did have 2 clamps in place. I like the idea of a SS braided line. is there a kit available? It was a major pain getting the hard line out and back in without bending it.
Old May 26th, 2017, 18:53   #5
PGM jetta
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 Jetta BEW

Quote:
Yeah i feel like between the car, my truck, and the lawn tractor... im constantly working on something. The mounting clamps were not on the car when I got it.... that could cause some stress on things right? My parts car did have 2 clamps in place. I like the idea of a SS braided line. is there a kit available? It was a major pain getting the hard line out and back in without bending it.
I would highly recommend a SS one over the original hard lines. But even with it, I still use the original clamps. Keeps it from rubbing anything

Couple vendors sell them. $80-$90 I think. There are some that have made their own for ~$30 a little searching and you'll find the thread
PGM jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 19:22   #6
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

Cool, Thanks for the info. I will look into that. I will do some research to find out what size the fittings are. It would make me feel better. I will also try to mount the line clamps on my car
Old May 26th, 2017, 21:38   #7
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Default Flexible Oil Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGM jetta View Post
I would highly recommend a SS one over the original hard lines. But even with it, I still use the original clamps. Keeps it from rubbing anything

Couple vendors sell them. $80-$90 I think. There are some that have made their own for ~$30 a little searching and you'll find the thread
There are many of us Golf/Jetta owners that are running the $19.95 braided oil lines from ebay.

Look here:http://www.ebay.com/itm/TURBO-OIL-FE...JX08HL&vxp=mtr
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 21:40   #8
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45-51.9

I got a line made at Cross Hose.
I like the 90* I ended up getting because I can just get a straight piece next time, if ever, I need one.
It was a little more expensive than you can find them in the vendors section, but, I can take the line off without any chance of loosening the fitting on the turbo.

Parts:
JM0410 - 10mm adapter to turbo $4.70
JM0412 - 12mm adapter to oil housing $7.68
10691n-4-4 - straight connector for hose $10.41
90* "your choice"

4 C6X-S - swivel elbow $4.76
13991n-4-4 -90*hose fitting $11.02

I used the swivel elbow, it screws into the oil fitting on the turbo and then a straight hose goes between the oil pump and the swivel elbow.
like this http://shop.hoseandfittings.com/cata...S/4_C6X-S.html

Last edited by eddieleephd; May 26th, 2017 at 21:50. Reason: add part #s and further info
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 21:51   #9
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Braided flex lines are available on ebay for $19.99 and mine has been fine for years.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 35/15% Tint, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, Stage 4 TDTuning, PP764's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel

Last edited by Nevada_TDI; June 2nd, 2017 at 09:10.
Old May 26th, 2017, 21:53   #10
gatz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Is this a common issue on these cars?
Not sure, but the exact same thing happened to me. It seemed to leak at the edge of the fitting just where your crack is. It was brand new OEM line less than 30 days old. Our dealer installed it after an engine+turbo swap (insurance paid). Luckily I caught it when I did because it pissed out more than half the oil. It leaked several drops a second. I could have taken it to the dealer for a warranty fix, but I ended up installing a braided stainless line myself from Bora Parts.
gatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 21:53   #11
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

Great info guys! Thank you for taking the time to post that!
Old May 26th, 2017, 21:55   #12
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

I guess the hard lines aren't the best design. I've only owned two diesels and its happend to both of them... I guess its 100% failure rate for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatz View Post
Not sure, but the exact same thing happened to me. It seemed like the banjo fitting wasn't pressed onto the tube correctly, and leaked at that edge. It was brand new OEM line less than 30 days old. Our dealer installed it after an engine+turbo swap (insurance paid). Luckily I caught it when I did because it pissed out more than half the oil. It leaked several drops a second. I could have taken it to the dealer for a warranty fix, but I ended up installing a braided stainless line myself from Bora Parts.
Old June 4th, 2017, 12:22   #13
Millennium Falcon
Veteran Member

I just ordered a SS line off ebay. I will post info when it gets here. "wolfsburg tuning" I think was the name.
Old June 4th, 2017, 13:10   #14
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I do wonder if the SS braided lines our trusted vendors sell while not coming from ebay, are actually all the same. I find it hard to believe there are a lot of different manufactures of SS braided lines, there just are a lot of distributors. Look at flat screen televisions, there may be more than three manufactures now, but the majority of "off-brand" televisions all have exactly the same components in them.
Old June 4th, 2017, 14:00   #15
UhOh
Veteran Member

The daughter drove the wagon to (from?) work with the oil light on. Turbo oil feed line crapped: a PO didn't bother to reattach the brackets. Line was replaced and it's still working. I had a shop (car is not local to me) do the work and I had them check the turbo and they said it was OK.

I don't advocate pushing one's luck like this, but it seems that sometimes you can get lucky.

Based on all this I'd vote to install a braided line (if I were doing it).
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote