www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old May 13th, 2017, 18:30   #31
All Stock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU

I don't have a thread yet.... my current rebuild is awaiting a new block and the hope that the machine shop that worked over the last one makes this right...

However I have a loaner mockup from Whitbread I've been using to redo all my accessory mounts. In the process I have looked closely at what it takes to put AC back in the jeep. Keep in mind you have more room than is found in a wrangler. I cant keep the alt or the pwr steering in the ahu oem location. The AC must be set on the pass side and searching has shown VW already did it.. and on the early 1.8t found in the Audi A4 and the Passat. That motor was the older style block...not the newer ALH, BRM, BHW etc... Its plug and play all the parts needed. However it does appear that you would also need the A4 compressor to work with the mount as it is different than the AHU compressor. Just marry the lines to the Jeep lines.
You can use either the jeeps brain to control the A/C pressures or use the V/W to do so.. I think its easier to use the Jeep because the VW has an adaptive idle adjustment that will handle the load at idle. Or weld in the additional bungs and have both monitor the high and low sides. I did this on my Cummins in a superduty and it worked flawless.
Keep in mind you will have to do a little research to determine the total displacement of the system when it comes to charging things. the good news is Matt is on the job and I have no doubt he will be able to get it squared away for you.

Doug
Old July 28th, 2017, 11:24   #32
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Finally!! Time to report some progress/issues on the build.

1) The Original Comanche drive shaft is about an inch too long now that we have replaced the AX-5 transmission with the longer AX-15. So the drive shaft will have to be shortened next week

2) Purchased some 4.0 Cherokee engine mounts to make it easier to mount the AHU engine a bit forward in the engine compartment. Easier than making them! The ALH engine mounts GasToDiesel makes are different than the AHU, so Matt has to make the custom mounts. These mounts should be delivered next week.

3) The GTC1549VZ turbo as mounted on the AHU intake is in the way of where the passenger side motor mount needs to go. So Matt is going to test fit the turbo on a B5.5 Passat maniforld. If that works, I will be looking for a B5.5 turbo manifold. If anyone knows of one for sale - please let me know.

Hopefully next week I will have some progress on these issues to report. The goal is to have the Comanche finished before the end of August and drive it back home to San Diego.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 12:03   #33
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Try flipping the existing exhaust manifold and mounting the turbo high before sourcing a BHW one. Just need to fab a flange adapter so that the turbine outlet still points to the rear of the truck and reclock.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.

Last edited by TDIMeister; July 28th, 2017 at 12:06.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 19:44   #34
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
Try flipping the existing exhaust manifold and mounting the turbo high before sourcing a BHW one. Just need to fab a flange adapter so that the turbine outlet still points to the rear of the truck and reclock.
AHU mani is not really flippable as the turbo mounting flange is too close to head and it'll hit the intake
Old July 28th, 2017, 19:54   #35
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

I was able to get my Passat manifold from car-part.com - it's basically a website of wreckers. Paid about $100 shipped. Yes, it nicely places the turbo just out of the way of the engine mount bracket. I'm running a GTB1756VK but it should be similar in size.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old July 29th, 2017, 18:26   #36
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Thanks for the pointer. Quite a few available.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
Old August 1st, 2017, 09:37   #37
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Well the A/C compressor clearance issue was solved by flipping the transmission mount 180 degrees. We now have 5/8 inch of clearance:

The before picture:

The after Picture:

Last edited by john.jackson9213; August 1st, 2017 at 09:48.
Old August 4th, 2017, 10:17   #38
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

A pair of Cherokee 4.0 motor mounts were picked up on Ebay to get the TDI engine moved forward a bit. Here are some pictures of the motor mount fabrication:

You can see where the 4.0 mount is forward of the old 2.1 Renault engine mount.

New mount being tested for fit:

Both mounts as welded

Matt says the old 1.6TD manifold will require less work than the B5.5 manifold. So we found a NOS 1.6/1.9TD manifold at Cascade German/Bora Parts. Should be delivered on Tuesday.

Injectors are at DBW.LLC for rebuild and installation of Race 520 nozzles.
Old August 9th, 2017, 07:10   #39
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Here is the 1.6/1.9TD manifold installed for a test fit:

Matt will still have some custom work to get a smooth inlet and exhaust flow, but should be fine.

Had to have a new drive shaft made. The 2 x 4 Comanche has a rubber dampner in the drive shaft, so could not be shortened. New drive shaft should be done on Thursday.

Lastly, the #3 injector I sent to DBW had a problem with a broken connector - so I shipped off a replacement to DBW on Monday. New set of rebuilt injectors and Race 520 nozzles should be delivered next Monday.

Last edited by john.jackson9213; August 9th, 2017 at 07:13.
Old August 9th, 2017, 09:46   #40
jhax
Veteran Member

Looks like a Nickelodeon studio from the 1990s

http://ironsheep.weebly.com/uploads/...92388_orig.jpg
jhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 10:50   #41
xerootg

Did Matt bend those mounts up himself? They look alot like the mounts that Cody Built made for the initial Wrangler they built.
xerootg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 14:14   #42
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerootg View Post
Did Matt bend those mounts up himself? They look alot like the mounts that Cody Built made for the initial Wrangler they built.

Those are stock Cherokee 4.0 mounts purchased on ebay. Nothing special. Take a look at the 3 pictures in post #38 and you will see what I got on ebay in the 1st picture. 2nd and 3rd pictures show what Matt added to the stock 4.0 motor mounts.

Last edited by john.jackson9213; August 9th, 2017 at 14:20.
Old August 11th, 2017, 04:25   #43
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

More progress and a few more issues:

Finished driver side motor mount with gusset added. But we will need a remote oil filter.

Oil pan to front axle clearance is 2.5 inches here. Matt suggest we add more, so 1.75 inch poly coil spacers were ordered that should give more clearance when they are installed.

GTC1549VZ trubo mounted on 1.6/1.9TD manifold with adapter. Notice the electronic actuator sits too high and will interfere with the hood. It will be removed since we are not using it anyway.

Here is a close up of the turbo adapter used being test fitted.

Old August 11th, 2017, 06:14   #44
All Stock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU

For clearance I notched my oil pan and lowered the rear of it to configure it into a rwd fashion. It also involved modifying the pickup tube. Matt knows about it as he has seen it.
The other reason I did this and I feel most guys don't consider this when going from a transverse application to a longitude driveline is that under acceleration the oil goes to the back of the pan and can potentially starve the pump. On a 4wd that has the potential to see excessive camber changes its better to have it in a deeper reservoir with the chance the pickup will remain submerged. Even more so when you consider the potential of going down a steep downhill with the motor running. Ever seen the oil in a running motor through plaxiglass...its like, where did all the oil go! You need it all to collect at the pickup and the dynamics of rwd especially in a vehicle that can see all kinds of angles.
Consider this, look at the oil pan baffling that goes into road race cars that centrifugally moves oil in the pan away from the pick up. There is a reason for this.
In my old MK3 GTI VR6 I had a sweeping on ramp I loved to hit hard regularly. With racing suspension etc and a full set of R1's on it I could push that ramp to nearly 100 mph.. lol yeah young dumb and stupid back then... but I can tell you this, by the time I got 2/3 of the way through that ramp my oil light and buzzer were flashing at me. Think about how that oil pan is similar to the stock tdi oil pan...and those cornering forces that put that oil to the side is the same difference now that you have turned the motor sideways and are moving your oil to the front or the rear of that pan. For a daily street driver.... probably not an issue.. for something that will go off road..a big problem if you find yourself on a hill for even 15 seconds and you loose oil...then motor.. then braking and power steering, etc..

BTW when you talk to Matt tell him to call me, seems given the nature of what went wrong between his machine shop and me he hasn't responded to any of my messages anymore, I know he's busy but that never stopped him before. Having said that... it wasn't Matt that was the issue. He's doing great work and the project looks awesome. He is still one of a very few I would ever consider to work on my builds.

Last edited by All Stock; August 11th, 2017 at 06:22.
All Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 10:00   #45
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

All Stock,

Should say that Matt said I would be OK to run it as is, given that I am not an off roader. Unless, maybe I really loaded down the truck. He was willing to leave it as is if that was my decision. Matt's suggestion was to use 4.0 springs for the extra lift (I have a set of NOS factory springs).

First thing I decided was to take Matt's advice on lifting the truck a little. Why? Well, I am paying Matt for his skill and for his experience, right? So figure I need to take what he says seriously.

Second, when with the poly lifts because it was exactly 1 3/4 inches. Where as adding springs was a bit non specific in how much lift I would get. And I really don't like the "idea" of a lifted Jeep for a daily driver on the road. Besides, the poly lifts were $30 including shipping. Springs would have been $55 plus shipping. (Also wanted to keep my NOS springs).

Cutting the pan was my preferred solution. But would have given me less than 3/4 inch extra clearance. Matt said the Oil Pump is very close or maybe just above the axle. I did not want to see the oil pump put in any danger. So...I opted for the 1 3/4 inch lifts, even though I don't like the "idea" of a lifted Jeep for what I do with the truck.

I appreciate your input! Hope my reply makes some sense.

Last edited by john.jackson9213; August 11th, 2017 at 10:03.