www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old April 18th, 2017, 17:28   #16
xerootg

This is going to be a neat truck when your done! Are you going to do any of the late model modifications like the interior or front clip?
xerootg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 21:56   #17
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 B4V

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerootg View Post
This is going to be a neat truck when your done! Are you going to do any of the late model modifications like the interior or front clip?
Once Whitbread is done with his magic and the truck is driven back to California, we will see what else it needs to make it truly road worthy and dependable for a trip to Alaska by summer 2018.

Right now, I have a set of Hella E-Code headlamps, a new headliner, a Lund Visor and a couple of other things stashed in the garage for the truck. Not sure if I will use it, but I also have a complete Wagoneer front header panel, so that is a possibility

Late model doors will go on the truck, if it ever gets properly painted. Until very recently, I never considered the 97+ interior worth the effort. But this truck does not have factory A/C and I really want that for the truck.
With all the work required in the dash area to add A/C - doing the 97+ interior conversion might be very minimal extra work. At the same time, all that 30+ year old Jeep wiring could be replaced.

The problem is, these projects are just one big slippery slope and money pit. But I am in this far, right?

This week, Matt should start to test fit the power train and I have to finalize my choice of turbo upgrades.

Just a quick progress update.

The transmission is back together and bolted to the engine. See picture below.

1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.
john.jackson9213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 22:03   #18
xerootg

Good deal man! I've owned 5 cherokees so far, and the late model interior is worth it to me. There are a couple options for the dash instruments if you do decide to make that jump. First you can use the autometer dash insert and use individual gauges, and the second option is I'm also finalizing my can-ccd translator board layout. I'd love to send you one once it's a little more refined!
xerootg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 23:00   #19
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Bump for a sweet project and an all around awesome guy!

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 15:01   #20
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
GTD . GTD . GTD all the way!
Sorry Dave, no GTD this time.

After lots of shopping for turbochargers, here is what I discovered.

GTD1752VRK turbos are still new on the market. So not much available supply. Offered used prices were right at $800 delivered to the U.S.
New prices ranged from $790 to $975 delivered to the U.S.
B3achbum found a link to a turbo rebuilder offering a GTD1752VRK rebuilt for about $425 plus a core deposit. Unfortunately, he was out of stock at the time. Or I would have grabbed it!

2 or 3 years ago, GTC1549VZ turbos were new and in short supply on the used market, even in Europe. Then it cost $8-900 to get one used. That is the price range I paid for the turbo in the Passat.

Well, the market has changed. Ebay.uk has 10 to 15 GTC turbos listed just about every day, new and used. The used prices are $400 or less. I just ordered a good used GTC1549VZ for $275, delivered on Ebay.uk - Very hard price to resist! (Same one you pointed me too, I think). Ebay seller has perfect feed back rating, so we will see what the turbo looks like.

The GTC is just too cheap to pass up. Whitbread asked how much I was willing to spend for an extra 15 or so horsepower. The extra $5-700 will still get spent on other required parts for the Comanche. Besides, we know the GTC1549VZ works great and we spent several hours of dyno time dialing in the tune.

Nozzles will be Race 520, set for low smoke and the 340 pop pressure you suggested. May be tempted to push the boost up to 30 psi from 25/26 on the second tune.
1996 B4V, Hella E-Codes, GLX leather, EuroTuning.cz 02A 6 speed conversion w/.71 5th and .588 6th gear, A4 shift linkage by Matt-98AHU. 11 mm pump by Oldpoopie. Now, GTC1549VZ turbo by Whitbread. TDtuning, 24 lbs. boost, 162 hp, 285 lb/ft tq. Smoke Free (9/18/15). Koni Yellows and Big Brake 5 lug conversion.

Last edited by john.jackson9213; April 24th, 2017 at 15:05.
Old May 6th, 2017, 08:22   #21
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Just as the TDI engine and transmission were being test fitted for the very first time into the Comanche, we hit a bump in the road in the form of the old AX-5 transmission mounting bracket from the 86 truck does not fit the new, stronger AX-15 transmission. So I asked Whitbread to move on to someone else's work while I search for the right part. That was April 22.

AX-5 bracket below.

AX-15 bottom side where bracket mounts

Here is the correct bracket I needed. It is on the right in this picture.

[IMG][/IMG]

Searching the Jeep parts catalog in the transmission section comes up with nothing even close. Google search come up with something called "AX15 Torque Arm Bracket" with a part number that is no longer available.

A request for help on the Comanche club get the correct page and diagram for the part we need. The diagram is in the "engine" section of the parts book. NOT the transmission section - no wonder I couldn't find it. After a search with the right part number - we find it is a discontinued part. So back to Google and to Ebay looking for the part. Found one on Ebay for about $200. So I keep searching with not much more luck.

Post another request for help on the Comanche club and in less than a day - the needed part is offered for $20 plus postage. Aren't these online forum guys great at helping out? The part was mailed Monday morning and arrived Wednesday afternoon. Bingo - we are back in business. Except Matt is working on another customers car now. (Remember, I asked him to move on from my car).

May 4, the postman delivered the GTC1549VZ turbo. Whitbread say the turbo looks good. Yea! Also, he will be back on the Comanche project this coming week.

Last edited by john.jackson9213; May 6th, 2017 at 08:25.
Old May 11th, 2017, 23:45   #22
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

First picture of the GTC1549VZ in it's new home. Really is a great fit on the engine. You can see the adapter plate between the stock AHU manifold and the turbo. Straight shot from the turbo to the stock Comanche intercooler. No clocking the turbo required. Just a nice, simple, clean installation.

Top view of the turbo installed.

Engine test fit into the engine bay.

This plate is the start of a custom motor mount.

Next problem. Whitbread asks if I really want air conditioning on the truck?
Yes! I certainly do. Why do you ask?? Notice the steering column and the A/C compressor?

So I asked about mounting the a/c on the other side of the engine? Unfortunately that would be right in the way of the turbocharger. So that is not the solution. More on this later... when the problem gets solved.. I hope any way.

Last edited by john.jackson9213; May 11th, 2017 at 23:49.
Old May 11th, 2017, 23:55   #23
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

AFN B5 A4 has the AC compressor on the passenger side of the engine below the turbo - should be fine no? Can take pictures if desired. BHW bracket should be similar.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 06:33   #24
Rockwell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.jackson9213 View Post
Next problem. Whitbread asks if I really want air conditioning on the truck?
Yes! I certainly do. Why do you ask?? Notice the steering column and the A/C compressor?

So I asked about mounting the a/c on the other side of the engine? Unfortunately that would be right in the way of the turbocharger. So that is not the solution. More on this later... when the problem gets solved.. I hope any way.
If there is little to no angular rotation at the steering U-joint you can replace it with a rag joint maybe. It's a little more compact and should sit closer to the steering box to clear the A/C clutch.
1996 B4 Passat
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 09:53   #25
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Great ideas, both of them.

Matt was going to look at reversing the transmission cross member to move the engine over a couple of inches. He was worried about screwing up the turbocharger path by moving the a/c to the other side of the engine. So, Dave if you wouldn't mind sharing the picture of the AFN a/c mount that would be great.

Rockwell, never saw a rag joint before. Very interesting solution. Thanks for that pointer. Where do I get one??
Old May 12th, 2017, 11:32   #26
Rockwell
Veteran Member

I just did a quick google image search. If you search around you should be able to find something you can make work. Just need to figure out spline count.
1996 B4 Passat
Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 11:38   #27
smelly621
Veteran Member

Hey John - I have a BHW AC bracket and belt tensioner that I didn't end up using - let me know if you have a need for it.

I am not sure if would fit the AHU/1Z. Whitbread would also have to make up something like Jimbote did to mount an extra pulley on the harmonic balancer.

Look at post #93 here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=293577&page=7 for more details.
smelly621 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 14:58   #28
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly621 View Post
Hey John - I have a BHW AC bracket and belt tensioner that I didn't end up using - let me know if you have a need for it.

I am not sure if would fit the AHU/1Z. Whitbread would also have to make up something like Jimbote did to mount an extra pulley on the harmonic balancer.

Look at post #93 here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=293577&page=7 for more details.

That is a good post. If the simple stuff doesn't work, I will be looking for that mounting bracket. But as of now, he is going to move the engine over first and see if that works.
Old May 13th, 2017, 06:58   #29
All Stock
Veteran Member

TDI(s): AHU

You can find 20 brackets for that on eBay.
The bhw will not work..thats the newer block.
It's from an early 1.8t in the Audi A4 as well as the Passat. They used the old style block.
It is a bolt on and go.
Old May 13th, 2017, 14:34   #30
john.jackson9213
Veteran Member

How did you handle this a/c issue? With a bracket change or something else?? Need to find your building thread again.
But Whitbread knows your build, so he knows you solution, right.

Last edited by john.jackson9213; May 13th, 2017 at 14:36.