www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 20th, 2016, 08:32   #1
MartyMcfly
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Jetta
Default 04 BEW Hesitates and dies, Refuses to start. Starts fine with Starting fluid..?

So my Car recently picked up this hesitation issue. If Im driving on the highway I feel the car hesitating somewhat, but itll spring back to life, then start hesitating again, yada yada yada, you get the idea.

The problem got to the point where the car completely stalled. It would not spring back to life unless I sprayed starter fluid down the intake mani and then it'd run completely normal for an hour then start hesitating/stall out again. Mind you it will not re-start unless I spray starter fluid down the manifold, and it idles and runs like nothing ever happened for an hour or so. Lately it only runs for a few minutes before it stalls.

Now during the hesitation, I can give it full throttle and the rpm's continue to drop until it falls flat on its face. It feels like the car does when youre out of fuel. I can hear the fuel pump prime on startup, changed out the fuel filter, and unhooked the line on the fuel pump and fuel shot out at high pressure it seems. I dont think its the crank sensor as my glow plug light still comes on. Also, one thing to note, it seems as if my battery is dead when cranking, then it just springs back to life. Strange! Any advice?
Old October 20th, 2016, 09:27   #2
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

In tank pump. Your car has 2 pumps, seems they still run when the in tank gets weak.
I believe you can check it by measuring fuel flow at the inlet from the tank at the filter.
Please don't use starting fluid on your diesel.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 13:58   #3
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Starter fluid is a great way to blow up the engine. High compression diesels are starter fluid are a really bad mix.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 14:05   #4
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Those symptoms sound the tandem pump is failing. Or it may be leaking into the valve cover. Injector harness is another possibility.

And I can verify the starter fluid warnings. When I bought my Golf the turbo was literally blown in half and all rods were bent by starting fluid.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 13:30   #5
MartyMcfly
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Jetta

Looks like this turned out to be a MASS AIR FLOW sensor. I was really low on oil...I never saw the oil light come on but I drained about a quart and a half. I guess the stock turbo really drank allot of oil when it blew. I tossed in more oil and a fresh filter, started her up and she ran, but still stalled and was very low on power. I thought my engine was toast until I unplugged the mass air sensor and the car sprang back to life. I couldn't get the car to stall and she sounded very healthy. Guess I dodged a bullet.....again.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 17:45   #6
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
Starter fluid is a great way to blow up the engine. High compression diesels are starter fluid are a really bad mix.
True dat. Best bet, find the problem and fix it.

Check your grounds, including the ground hidden under the airbox. A lot of intermittent problems can be flaky grounds.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; October 22nd, 2016 at 17:54.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 17:57   #7
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Saw your last post. great you found the problem..............
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote