www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old December 15th, 2015, 12:29   #46
steve6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjohnson_ohio View Post
Changed the oil. Tried to change the lower engine mount. Couldn't.
No amount of pounding or prying would break it loose.
If you mean the lower dog bone, most people break the bolts and just smash the aluminum around the bolts, and then the bolts will come out with vice grips or pipe wrench. The aluminum oxidizes and wont slide off the bolts.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 13:38   #47
mrrhtuner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6 View Post
If you mean the lower dog bone, most people break the bolts and just smash the aluminum around the bolts, and then the bolts will come out with vice grips or pipe wrench. The aluminum oxidizes and wont slide off the bolts.

I had the same thing happen.
One bolt let loose, the other...snapped.

Haven't got back under there to fix it :-(
mrrhtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 14:18   #48
PGM jetta
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 Jetta BEW

Had that happen when I replaced my dogbone. I covered the new bolts with copper anti-seize. Hopefully they won't oxidize as bad
PGM jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 16:54   #49
Jake_S
Veteran Member

R&R the lift pump. Job was incredibly easy, and only took about 30 minutes.

Jake
2012 GT Transeo 2.0 w/ carbon fork
KHS Flite 300 w/ Ultegra drivetrain
Jake_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 20:19   #50
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

Aquapel on the windows...another 6 months of not needing wipers!
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 07:16   #51
steve6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrhtuner View Post
I had the same thing happen.
One bolt let loose, the other...snapped.

Haven't got back under there to fix it :-(

Its pretty standard, any regular TDI mechanic I talk to said this is the 'procedure' when they change clutches/trans work lol. dog bone and new bolts are factored in.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 04:53   #52
mrrhtuner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6 View Post
Its pretty standard, any regular TDI mechanic I talk to said this is the 'procedure' when they change clutches/trans work lol. dog bone and new bolts are factored in.

Steve/everybody else....when you were presented with this issue and used a hammer to loosen the dogmount bushing from the seized bolt(s), was the mount re-usable afterwards? I didn't understand if you meant that a new mount and bolts are needed or just bolts.
Old December 17th, 2015, 05:01   #53
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrhtuner View Post
Steve/everybody else....when you were presented with this issue and used a hammer to loosen the dogmount bushing from the seized bolt(s), was the mount re-usable afterwards?
No, I think it's pretty common practice to break the aluminum ears off around the bolts, thus the dogbone mount becomes scrap. I just removed one like this recently from a spare subframe that I bought. Both bolt heads snapped off, and the bolts were locked hard in the mount.

If you look closely at the mount, you may see hairline cracks down the sides of the bolt ears where it mounts to the subframe. The salt and corrosion can only expand so much in the holes, the aluminum will eventually crack anyway.

You can get a new dogbone for about $50 bucks. I think most people don't worry about ruining the old one because if you break those bolt heads off, it's usually because you're trying to replace the mount anyway.
Rembrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 06:46   #54
mrrhtuner
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
No, I think it's pretty common practice to break the aluminum ears off around the bolts, thus the dogbone mount becomes scrap. I just removed one like this recently from a spare subframe that I bought. Both bolt heads snapped off, and the bolts were locked hard in the mount.
If you look closely at the mount, you may see hairline cracks down the sides of the bolt ears where it mounts to the subframe. The salt and corrosion can only expand so much in the holes, the aluminum will eventually crack anyway.
You can get a new dogbone for about $50 bucks. I think most people don't worry about ruining the old one because if you break those bolt heads off, it's usually because you're trying to replace the mount anyway.
Great, thank you for the help!
Old December 19th, 2015, 15:58   #55
PGM jetta
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 Jetta BEW

Did both front wheel bearings, new brakes, and new rotors. No more groaning!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
PGM jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2015, 18:52   #56
where2
Veteran Member

Changed out my locked up alternator clutched pulley, and potentially cleared up my P0671 CEL by dealing with my #1 glow plug resistance.

Got my parts from Kerma. If the original German pulley lasted 195k, I shouldn't need another German pulley anytime soon...
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2015, 19:24   #57
baggedmazda

Just starting to dip my toes into these cars I did a nice simple oil change lol next up will be a alarm and double din radio along with some new rear hatch struts
baggedmazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2015, 20:29   #58
giff

Just removed the "tree hugger" bumper stickers from the previous owner. My wife didn't even want to ride in the car until they were off! Cleaned the intake and turbo a couple weeks ago, timing belt is next, then she is going on the road.
giff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 00:32   #59
BluFalcon

TDI(s): 05 Golf TDI
Fuel Economy: 38 MPG Highway :-( Autotragic Tranny

Towed my Golf from Texas to my GF's house in Kansas in preparation for my upcoming relocation to Wichita.

Tried to drive in reverse to get the car off the tow dolly, and it wouldn't come off of it. Little to no power whatsoever. I eventually got the car off and took it for a spin around the block.

Car felt "weird" while accelerating and had a very hard brake pedal.

Poked around a bit and found a section of the brake booster line cracked completely through and another section with cracks starting. I "band aided" one section with a piece of rubber glove and some electrical tape (If it's stupid, but it works then it's not stupid anymore). The section that was completely cracked through got some heater hose and zip ties. Took it for a spin and everything works again.

Ordered the right parts and I'll fix it correctly when I go up again in two weeks.
BluFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2015, 13:15   #60
Davegsm82

Fuel Economy: 57MPG (Golf) + 42MPG (T25)

Drove 300 miles home with either a failed HG or cracked coolant jacket.

Not proud but had to be done. About 8 litres of water vaporised into the atmosphere.

Dave.
Davegsm82 is offline   Reply With Quote