www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old July 1st, 2015, 20:07   #31
swetbak
Veteran Member

My A/C mostly blows out of one upper vent. Very little out of the rest.
Also, all the vents seem to be blowing no matter what the dial is set (upper, lower, defrost), but the majority goes to where the dial is set.
Is this air blend door my problem?
swetbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 05:34   #32
Jesse_Boyer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
I concur, the arm that moves the blend door likes to fall off on mine. I removed the console to make it easier to snap back in (but it's still a real pain). Do not be fooled by the temperature knob: when the arm falls down, the knob feels exactly the same. The same amount drag etc.

IIRC you can acess the arm by removing a small kickpanel on the driver side footwell, and you can stick your hand up there to find it--it helps to feel around while rotating the temp knob. The Bentley is kinda helpful here also, in letting you know where it is and how to get to it.
Definitely feels about the same, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetbak View Post
My A/C mostly blows out of one upper vent. Very little out of the rest.
Also, all the vents seem to be blowing no matter what the dial is set (upper, lower, defrost), but the majority goes to where the dial is set.
Is this air blend door my problem?
The way I addressed this in an emergency situation (friend of a friend, wanted it working) was to use a small piece of 3/4" or 1" PVC (can't remember which.) You cut a small cylinder and use the PVC as a brace/spacer to stop the arm from coming out. The PVC will fit between the lower plastic ductwork and the arm itself, keeping the arm in place.. Don't make the PVC TOO tall or it'll create too much force on the arm making it hard to turn. Take your time, get the spacer the proper length, and it seems to address the problem.

Your results may vary
'01 allroad 6sp, parts car. Message me for parts requests
Jesse_Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2015, 16:25   #33
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.1- the 03's first tank!

Mods:I am moving this to 101 for more exposure.
I have everything out of the way as per Shizzell except for the vent casing.
Is it me or is getting the vent casing out of the way a real PITA?
I can't seem to locate a way to access it so I can move it.
Is it secured with fasteners or clipped to other parts?
I am practicing this procedure on the parts car before tackling it for real on the 04.

Last edited by fruitcakesa; August 3rd, 2015 at 05:18.
fruitcakesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2015, 18:40   #34
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitcakesa View Post
Mods:I am moving this to 101 for more exposure.
I have everything out of the way as per Shizzell except for the vent casing.
Is it me or is getting the vent casing out of the way a real PITA?
I can't seem to locate a way to access it so I can move it.
Is it secured with fasteners or clipped to other parts?
I am practicing this procedure on the parts car before tackling it for real on the 04.
one screw on either side, boss through a tab at the top and a "J" hook at the bottom.... it can be a PIA if you let it but if you study it carefully and apply patience it comes right off and actually seems to go back together easier than it comes apart
Old August 6th, 2015, 12:57   #35
Estergard87
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1999.5 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
one screw on either side, boss through a tab at the top and a "J" hook at the bottom.... it can be a PIA if you let it but if you study it carefully and apply patience it comes right off and actually seems to go back together easier than it comes apart
The screws hold the back of the casing on, no? I think the front can be removed without removing the screws.

You can just pull the tabs apart to remove the front casing. There's one in the middle of the bottom, and then they're symmetrical as they go up. I think there was 5 total, maybe 7.
Estergard87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2015, 16:39   #36
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estergard87 View Post
The screws hold the back of the casing on, no? I think the front can be removed without removing the screws.
You can just pull the tabs apart to remove the front casing. There's one in the middle of the bottom, and then they're symmetrical as they go up. I think there was 5 total, maybe 7.
they hold the front plenum on .... the shortcut method only requires removal of the front air plenum
Old August 24th, 2015, 08:30   #37
UhOh
Veteran Member

I'm going to start work on replacing a heater core in the wife's car and figure that I'll take the opportunity to re-work the blend door. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it necessary to install strips of sealing foam around the edges of the door (after the ducting tape is installed)? I've read of folks saying to do this and then here no mention of needing to do it. If it's best to use it then what kind is best? (would hate to have this dislodge and jam the door)

2) Are there any downsides with going with the ducting tape? The holes in the door and the use of foam stock would seem to suggest a need to have a little bit of air passage even when closed(?).

NOTE: I know which tape to use, just not sure what the proper term is for it.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 21:56   #38
UhOh
Veteran Member

Out of curiosity, do properly functioning blend doors (foam still good) always allow air to pass even if you have the fan turned off?

The foam on the blend door for my wife's car look like new, yet one cannot completely disable air flow into the car.
Old August 25th, 2015, 11:24   #39
79TA7.6
Veteran Member

If the car is not in re-circulation mode air will still come in. At least that is how my car is and always has been.

2003 Jetta 5 Speed 272K miles. Malone stage 3. Titan 502 big hole injectors. VNT17 turbo. BuzzKen 2.5" down pipe. Ventectomy, EGR and cooler delete, Euro Switch, Home made custom HID.
79TA7.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 04:07   #40
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79TA7.6 View Post
If the car is not in re-circulation mode air will still come in. At least that is how my car is and always has been.
OK, thanks!
Old August 29th, 2015, 12:52   #41
Dylly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_Boyer View Post
WAK,
Before you assume its the solely foam related, make sure your temperature lever arm is properly rotating the doors. These fail from time to time and it causes the temps to behave like you're experiencing.
Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U9ZdkAjdhQ
Does yours behave similarly? If its spreading apart like the video shows, its likely not turning the doors like it should. If so, report back and I'll give you a little shortcut on fixing this...
I feel like this is the problem I'm having. I haven't got right into it yet, I don't have foam coming out of anywhere on my 2005 Golf and I can get the air directed wherever I want it. Over the past week I've only got it to flip over to heat once in the morning and it seemed like it did it with the fan on high (probably a coincidence). Does your shortcut apply to my problem?
Dylly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:59   #42
schwechel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55/50/40

I'm currently in the middle of this fix as well. I've had some foam coming out of the vents recently and just lost control of my hot/cold air mix. I've taken most of the dash apart in hopes of being able to do the "shortcut" method detailed in this post. A few plastic tabs have met their end, but not too bad so far. I'm leaning towards just doing the tape and no foam, but we'll see when I get in there. I'll try to take some pictures and post what experience.
03' Galactic Blue 250,000 miles. Ventectomy, Euro Spec side mirrors, Monster Mats, PhatNoise, clear side markers, Key Fob Mod, grille badge, Euroswitch, E-codes, PP520s, Zerostart, 5 Brake Light, EGR Delete, Boost/EGT gauge, RC2, and boostvalve.
schwechel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2015, 19:09   #43
schwechel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55/50/40

I tore everything apart and my foam is just fine. Here is a video of what I have. Also shows what should be there for anyone who is curious. Any ideas on where else to look for foam coming out of the top vents?

https://youtu.be/TLsl2CjCbLA
03' Galactic Blue 250,000 miles. Ventectomy, Euro Spec side mirrors, Monster Mats, PhatNoise, clear side markers, Key Fob Mod, grille badge, Euroswitch, E-codes, PP520s, Zerostart, 5 Brake Light, EGR Delete, Boost/EGT gauge, RC2, and boostvalve.

Last edited by schwechel; September 9th, 2015 at 19:18.
schwechel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 13:02   #44
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.1- the 03's first tank!

This was the ticket.
I popped the bottom tab and was able to grab the casing and simply pull it out and down.
Jimbote: Reinstall was easier than removal.
In fact this was the easiest part of the process.
The stripping and replacement of the dash/console/glovebox components is much more labor intensive.
I will do this next for real on the 04.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estergard87 View Post
Old December 27th, 2015, 23:36   #45
Soupinmycoupe
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-51mpgs

I did the hvac tape mod when I replaced my leaky heater core. The foam got soaked with g12 so I used solvent and cleaned it all off. No more foam flying around while driving and the smell of glycerol in the cabin. Great mod if you have the time.
Soupinmycoupe is offline   Reply With Quote