Replacing BEW Camshaft. Injector Rocker and Cam Cap Bolts Necessary?

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
I'm aware the hold-down bolts for the injector rockers and cam bearing caps are stretch bolts, but how can I determine if they actually need to be replaced or are fine to reuse? I don't have them and can't get them anytime soon, but I have everything else to do the job. Thanks!

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
The originals that come out will require replacement. The "stretch" in stretch bolt (which they are) deforms the bolt. If you reuse them the structural integrity will be compromised from the deformation in the initial installation and then further deformed at the subsequent installation and will likely fail.

You can safely replace them with grade 12.9 non-stretch socket head cap screws. Note that the torque values are adjusted accordingly to compensate for the non-stretch nature of these bolts and also allow for re-use if necessary.

Original size is M6 x 54 which is a weird length and can be replaced with M6 x 55.

Try reaching out to Boraparts, ID Parts, or Frank06 (where I got my parts from and cannot more highly recommend). As a last resort you can probably pick up a set from a local stealership (part number 038103714).

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
Thanks a lot for your response! Will report back on which route I take.

Second question, now that I've picked up my parts: is the federal mogul camshaft an acceptable alternative to oem? I got it from worldpac and my buddy who ordered it said he wouldn't hesitate to run it in his own. I'm not convinced.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
if it looks like the one in this thread don't use it (I think that was a federal mogul)

make sure you get good INA lifters with the black coating

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
Returning the camshaft. It looks like a joke. If I can't get one on his WorldPac account, I'll order one from a vendor on here. Do have VW black lifters and VW bearings, tandem pump, gasket, and cam seal.

shanate

TDI
06 Jetta, 11 Amarok
You can safely replace them with grade 12.9 non-stretch socket head cap screws. Note that the torque values are adjusted accordingly to compensate for the non-stretch nature of these bolts and also allow for re-use if necessary.

Original size is M6 x 54 which is a weird length and can be replaced with M6 x 55.
Are both the rocker and cam bolts the same size? Can M5 x 54 (or 55) be used for both? What are the dimensions for both?

No sense in paying $50+ for some "special" bolts.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I got reusable bolts from Cascade when I did my CAM 50K ago. When removing the rocker arm shaft bolts for cam #3 one bolt broke off in the head. I was very blessed that I was able to get it out with a LH drill bit. From now on only new TTY bolts for me.

06' BRM Jetta.