Help! Looking to borrow VAG-COM near Chapel Hill NC

adrian2465

TDI
2001 Golf
Hi. We are looking to borrow a VAG-COM in or near Chapel Hill NC to diagnose a cruise control problem.
If you have one and are willing to share please PM me.
Adrian.

adrian2465

TDI
2001 Golf
Hi sailor
Yes but that link doesn't do much for me.
Once, in a fit of persistence I did get to a populated map from another site but no one I attempted to contact from that map replied.
There's someone in Chapel Hill but I have lost contact.
I may just have to purchase one.
Adrian.

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Howdy, I live in Apex. You're welcome to come use mine. It's for a 2004 Jetta TDI w/ a BEW engine. Not sure if it'll for you.

adrian2465

TDI
2001 Golf
Thanks!

So, here's the status.

Brief background: We had purchased a new stalk from some online retailer for about $35. We installed it. No joy. That is the event that lead-up to this post.

Over the last few weeks, we noticed that cruise control kicks in when the right blinker is on and the high beams are deployed. The only moving part in this system is the stalk, so I _had_ to deduce that the new stalk -- however improbable -- was bad, too.

Thus, last night, I decided to take the OLD stalk, which we'd kept, apart. I pulled it down to the board, ribbon cable, and connector. I peeled off the insulation on the cable (which seems like some sort of black latex) and using a meter and sliding the probe around, discovered a non-visible break in the endmost trace, occurring right where the "cable" slips into a barbed clip on the fixed-part of the stalk. I called this the #5 trace. It's the bottom most trace on the installed stalk (it's the trace that connects to the 4-pin connector, as opposed to the one on the two-pin connector -- the "cable" has 6 traces in all).

I am now thinking of buying some 6+ conductor 28ga stranded ribbon cable -- e.g. from Radio Shack -- and replacing the VW "cable" with that. That will be fun! haha. But it will serve as a proof of concept, and should also enable the CC for some time. If it works, I hope I can still return the "new" stalk for credit.

At any rate, I'm fairly confident that this is the problem. The switch operating the #5 trace is "open" to disengage the CC, so right now, my CC is always in "disengage" mode. If I can bypass even that one fault, I'm willing to bet our CC will work (especially since with the new one, we can get it to work with the right blinker on and the high beams on. If you see a white golf coming down the road signaling a right turn and having the highbeams on, you'll know we're 'cruisin').

Adrian
Chapel Hill, NC.

adrian2465

TDI
2001 Golf
I put the repaired, OLD stalk back on the car, removing the new one.
With the repaired (which I detailed in my post above, on 1/10/14), the cruise control works perfectly.
I took pictures of the repair project as I went along. If anyone cares, I am willing to do a write up describing what I did and what I learned from it.

We returned the new stalk to Amazon as defective, and they've sent us a new, new stalk. With the pin-out I drew up as I did the above project, I will be able to determine whether or not it's working prior to installing it. If the new one works, I'll put it in, and we'll hang onto the old repaired stalk as a backup for when (if?) the new one fails.

Adrian.