www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 4th, 2013, 22:58   #1
altabound67

Default Fluid leak at Clutch Slave Cylinder

03 Jetta, new to me, the clip holding the line into the slave was missing. Put in clip and it leaked. Replaced O-Ring and there is still leak. Do not believe the leak is between the slave and the fitting (ie,O-ring). Suspect it is between the fitting and the tube. The fitting will turn on the tubing. Is this as it should be? If so, what is the seal between the tubing and fitting. If I have to change the hose how in heck do you get at the other end? What is the magic? What are the chances of sealing between the fitting and the tube?
altabound67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 02:28   #2
Crankous
Veteran Member

If I were you I would clean it really well with some brake parts cleaner and JB weld the seam at the tube and fitting. I don't believe either of mine turn on the tube.
Crankous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 06:55   #3
altabound67

Thanks for that info. That is what I suspected. Wondering if Loctite would penetrate after some brake clean. Still have silver solder. I will see what it is l like after some cleaning. Sure don't want to touch the other end!

Edit: Tixed with silver solder, believe this was original method but defective job

Last edited by altabound67; January 5th, 2013 at 15:47. Reason: To show resolution of problem
altabound67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:06   #4
seang28

TDI(s): 2000 Golf 2D
Fuel Economy: 48 avg

I have the same problem. Waiting on new O rings & mounting clips to see if that fixes it. Going to coat the O rings with a little silicone to help the seal. It could be that the plastic slave cylinder body is worn just enough to cause the leak. (plastic brake parts?!?) Also, I'm up in maine where everything shrinks in zero degree weather.
seang28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 00:42   #5
UhOh
Veteran Member

Not that I needed another issue to deal with, but...

While doing a clutch job I had the slave flopping around a bit and I saw fluid leak out of it. What might have gone wonky on me here? I don't believe that it had been leaking, though I can't really be sure (things were a bit messy; I cleaned up not really giving it much thought as to where the buildup came from [over the course of 200k miles).

I'd like to hook this up to verify the clutch operation before I start doing the final work.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 06:55   #6
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altabound67 View Post
03 Jetta, new to me, the clip holding the line into the slave was missing. Put in clip and it leaked. Replaced O-Ring and there is still leak. Do not believe the leak is between the slave and the fitting (ie,O-ring).

Suspect it is between the fitting and the tube. The fitting will turn on the tubing. Is this as it should be? If so, what is the seal between the tubing and fitting. If I have to change the hose how in heck do you get at the other end? What is the magic? What are the chances of sealing between the fitting and the tube?
DO NOT use supposed brake cleaner on anything that has rubber in it. It will damage the O-ring and hose. Supposed "brake cleaner" is only to be used on metallic brake parts. It says right on the brake cleaner can to protect anything made of rubber. If you clean the O-ring or hose, use Isopropyl alcohol.

And yes, the hose end will turn on the fitting. Also, lubricate the O-ting with brake fluid only. Anything with petroleum in it will damage it, as well.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing

Last edited by Ol'Rattler; September 21st, 2017 at 07:02.
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote