www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 1st, 2012, 14:44   #1
mrctdi
Veteran Member

Default LUK 17-050 clutch

Hello,

I just wanted to post a heads up to anyone interested in this clutch kit. I just got one from Amazon for 255.68. That is a pretty good deal from what I can find.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s01_i00

My original clutch and DMF are acting up so I will be replacing within the next month or so. I just need to get the misc. hardware and fluid and spend the weekend doing it all.

Hope this helps someone out.
mrctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 15:04   #2
Evil-Diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '05 TDI PD-R

That kit is to be used with the DMFW. Now if you had an issue with the fw, why would you put in the same known problematic dmfw in there when you can vr6 your clutch kit and put a g60 smfw and have complete reliability?
KERMA HYRBID VNT20 + HIFLOW CAST MANIFOLD, HYBRID PD100 INJECTORS, PRECAT EXHAUST DUMP + 0 LAMBDA, SRI, OMI, FMIC, BHW OIL COOLER, OIL CATCH, EGR DELETE, JOM's, WAVETRAC LSD, VR6/G60, BFI MOUNTS, TT LCA'S, TT SUBFRAME BUSHINGS, TT SHORT SHIFTER, VR6 AXLES, VR6 SWAY BAR, VF ENDLINKS, POWERFLEX SWAY BAR + STEERING RACK + REAR AXLE BUSHINGS, ZIMMERMAN XDRILLED, KERMA WIDGET, 1200RPM...

Last edited by Evil-Diesel; August 1st, 2012 at 15:06.
Evil-Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 16:36   #3
deadend9009
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '03 Wagon

Its the dual mass flywheel that breaks appart, not the clutch itself. This kit is inexpensive because it doesn't include it!
Old August 1st, 2012, 18:36   #4
mrctdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Diesel View Post
That kit is to be used with the DMFW. Now if you had an issue with the fw, why would you put in the same known problematic dmfw in there when you can vr6 your clutch kit and put a g60 smfw and have complete reliability?
My car is completely stock and the factory clutch has served me well for 175,000 miles and from what I have read on here the Luk is a better setup then what I have. Correct me if I am wrong on that because I can return it if need be.
Old August 1st, 2012, 18:37   #5
mrctdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadend9009 View Post
Its the dual mass flywheel that breaks appart, not the clutch itself. This kit is inexpensive because it doesn't include it!
deadend9009,

What do you mean by "This kit is inexpensive because it doesn't include it!"

Whats not included?

Thanks
Old August 1st, 2012, 19:07   #6
deadend9009
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '03 Wagon

The flywheels goes bad and is not included with the kit. Sorry i was not clear!
Old August 1st, 2012, 22:29   #7
RacerTodd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: about 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadend9009 View Post
The flywheels goes bad and is not included with the kit. Sorry i was not clear!
Hmm. I put a 17-050 kit in my Golf two years ago and it included the flywheel. If this is a genuine kit it should include the flywheel. All the parts were shrink-wrapped together and in a LUK box. Note that the photo shown say "representative photo" meaning it isn't of the exact kit they're selling.

That's a heck of a price. My was $550 back in 2010.
'01 Golf TDI, silver. (new work car) 558,000 miles!
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car) 654,000 miles <- Gone to a new home
RacerTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 22:37   #8
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Shipping weight is specified in that listing as 20lbs. Uh, the flywheel weighs that much by itself..... so exactly how do you get a clutch, pressure plate and associated hardware in there with the flywheel and have the shipping weight be 20lbs?
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:20   #9
mrctdi
Veteran Member

There is most defiantly a flywheel included. Everything is bolted together already. It alsoo has throwout bearing and clutch aligning tool and new flywheel bolts. It is in a Luk box that says " RepSet" on the box along with the part number I listed in the title. I can take pictures later and post them.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:38   #10
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Hmmmm... well, in that case it's a hell of a deal.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:54   #11
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerTodd View Post
Hmm. I put a 17-050 kit in my Golf two years ago and it included the flywheel. If this is a genuine kit it should include the flywheel. All the parts were shrink-wrapped together and in a LUK box. Note that the photo shown say "representative photo" meaning it isn't of the exact kit they're selling.

That's a heck of a price. My was $550 back in 2010.

He's right on the 17-050 kit including everything. Unless they decided to not include the flywheel.

And as far as the G60/VR6 debate....Stock, quiet, smooth, and this is a stronger clutch than the 01+ cars got. They had a sachs unit. VR6 clutches tend to last 100-150K tops. Most DMF set ups run just fine for several hundred K if they are the early ones like this.

I do 5-6 of these a month. I source them locally. If you are going with some bigger mods I'd definetly go to a South Bend.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:21   #12
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Picture doesn't show a flywheel, but perhaps I shouldn't go by that. It also shows some random other parts. The flywheel for this kit is unique, you can't use the OE LUK flywheel for a '99.5. If the kit doesn't include the flywheel it may be a problem to get one as AFAIK they are not sold separately.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:38   #13
saucer
Veteran Member

Just gonna chime in on behalf of Amazon here; they have AMAZING customer service.

If you don't mind waiting an extra week or so if something goes wrong, feel safe in ordering the kit and being able to return it (shipping covered) if it is "mis-advertised" and does not include the flywheel.

EDIT: Just found this kit even cheaper from Parts Geek and it specifies that the flywheel IS included. $228 with free shipping!

Last edited by saucer; August 2nd, 2012 at 07:41.
saucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 13:50   #14
mrctdi
Veteran Member

saucer,

I have always had great luck with Amazon and there customer service also. I am a Prime member so most things I get are free shipping and usually less than two days. I ordered this clutch and flywheel kit on Tuesday evening and was on my front porch when I got home from work on Wednesday.

Like I said earlier it has the flywheel, throwout bearing, spline lube, new flywheel bolts and clutch aligning tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucer View Post
Just gonna chime in on behalf of Amazon here; they have AMAZING customer service.

If you don't mind waiting an extra week or so if something goes wrong, feel safe in ordering the kit and being able to return it (shipping covered) if it is "mis-advertised" and does not include the flywheel.

EDIT: Just found this kit even cheaper from Parts Geek and it specifies that the flywheel IS included. $228 with free shipping!
Old August 2nd, 2012, 18:09   #15
mrctdi
Veteran Member

Here is the pictures of it.