CA smog check ?..........EGR readiness

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
For those that have done the smog check in CA.

Do they clear DTCs, (even if there is none), to make the egr reset, and then do what ever it is to make it go ready again?

Or do they just check readiness without clearing the ECU?

Thanks

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well, since there is no replies yet, let me answer my own question.

Just got back from my smog check.

All they did was a snap/smoke test, look around under the hood, checked to make sure the CEL was not on and that it came on after shutting down and restarting the motor. That was it.

They never even hooked up to the ODB2 port at all. He told me that it was not required and that their machine does not work on can buss cars and that they are not required to get a can buss machine until 2013.

So they do not check for readiness at all. At least for my year car and in my area, (county).

Invader

rockwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Yep. Total waste of money and time, IMO. Gotta love lining someone else's pockets...

rockwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Yeah... I passed today. It's such a ridiculously subjective test.
It's funny, but neither of my diesels ended up getting effectively snap tested:

My Dodge, the guy revved it up, but he couldn't possibly see my tailpipe in the mirror since I have them adjusted way out.

My VW, they completely forgot to snap test it. It was already out of the bay when they remembered, and the guy just checked it as pass. LOL.

Either way, it's still incredibly subjective.

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Yeah, the tech (the only tech on site) doing the test basically snapped the throttle then jumped out of the car and ran around to see if there was any smoke. I suppose they're looking for lingering smoke/soot, but still... to be really effective, you'd think they'd want a tech to watch WHILE the throttle is snapped.