B5.5 Passat Rollers

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
Another new toy:

01E 6 sp correct ? DQS ?
I fitted one last month, having big vibration/resonance issues in 5/6th under load/throttle. I suspect it is the 'light' 228mm SBC flywheel (22 lbs). I would give serious consideration to a 240mm flywheel, or even a 240mm DMF.
For some reason VW always ran a 240mm DMF setup with the 01Es, never a 228mm. I suspect they knew something.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
01E 6 sp correct
That is correct. I have been weighing clutch options a lot. My auto vibrates as is with the geared BSM. I went south bend with the huge 30lb flywheel on my mk4 cause of this issue. I know the passat will be worse.

Last edited:

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I also usually like the look of mildly lowered cars, but having owned several, including one right now, BUT, there ALWAYS is a reduction in ride quality when doing it. You either have to go to a shorter, stiffer spring to compensate for the shorter travel, which makes the ride harsher, or you put in a shorter spring with the same spring rate and get to experience what bottoming out all of the time on the bump stops feels like. BTW, no way was oilhammers reply "flaming", he didn't denegrate the OP, he merely said it wasn't his cup of tea.

edit: the quality & composition of the original three photos is very professional! Well done!

Last edited:

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Last edited:

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
My grandfather bought my Passat new and I got it from him. Had it ever since except for a short little hiatus, but got it back again. Here is a picture from Thanksgiving next to his new Passat:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Thanks, always get mixed reviews on here.
I'm more of a function over form guy, but at least with bags you can make it suit both needs. Drive around at a reasonable height and then when you get to where you're going and air it out :D

The issue I have is with the Static crowd, that are dodging every single bump, crack, man hole, speed bump, etc. because they would crack an oil pan or ruin their sub frame is stupid to me.

Awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4SxcokGQK8

Stupid :mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n80hyokbPMQ

Just my opinion;)

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I'm more of a function over form guy, but at least with bags you can make it suit both needs. Drive around at a reasonable height and then when you get to where you're going and air it out :D
I'm with you. Thats one reason I have both. Being a big passat I can load it full of people and luggage too and it just readjusts. Thinking of adding a hitch too. What's tongue weight? :)

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Mine is the Bomb!

He came here asking for opinions, he got some. Yes, I am a critic. Sorry, I just do not see the B5 as a car that lends itself to these types of mods. Reminds me of an early Taurus SHO or a Dodge Spirit RT or something, that's all.

Even the B5 Passat's evil cousin, the Audi RS4, has hardly anything different appearing than its plebian A4 sibling. Other than badging, one would be hard pressed to know there was a 420hp engine lurking under the hood. Maybe I just like the sleeper look. ;)

If we ALL thought the same thing, the world would be a really boring place, now wouldn't it? :cool:
Everyone knows my Q-ship is the baddest Passat on the planet. Goodyear Eagle F1 tires; Neuspeed sway bar; Bilstein shocks; and a Rocketchip...even better, NONE of it shows...looks like a common commuter car until I TORCH a rice boy!:)

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Clinton I'm not a fan of putting cars on the ground either, but yours looks undeniably well done. I've always dug it, especially when you drive it to Michigan in January. Matt and I are getting ready for the 01E 6-speed too. Should be interesting.

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
This little goody showed up from accross the pond:

Also putting this on a customer's car:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Picture is TOO BIG! Why is the rear wheel not in the center of the wheel arch? Swing arm geometry?

Nash_TDI

TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Picture is TOO BIG! Why is the rear wheel not in the center of the wheel arch? Swing arm geometry?
Looks perfect on my 24" monitor. Its hosted on FB and not a photo site or I'd resize.

Yeah rear beam vs independent rear suspension.