www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 31st, 2009, 09:06   #16
wulee

TDI(s): polo

First Thanks Dan for the excellent Fan Guide which helps a lot. I also need the help of wiring diagram and pinout of J293 to better understand and troubleshoot my problem.

I notice my A/C is not cold occasionally for months, some mechanic tell me to renew the A/C compressor/condenser/dryer etc, and some friends say change the high pressure sender.

I later notice that the AC is not cold when in traffic but not on freeway.

I then idle the engine, switch on the A/C and turn the blower to slow, the radiator/condenser fan kicks in immediately and the A/C is cold. However after 10 mins or so the fans turns OFF itself and then a moment later the A/C compressor becomes noisy and kicks off by itself.

With the help of the guides and wiring diagram, it turns out the 2nd (high) speed radiator/condenser fan circuit fails due to a broken 30A fusible link!

The 1st speed radiator/condenser fan circuit actually WORKS and this make the problem tricky in my case.

Cheers,
Andrew

Last edited by wulee; March 31st, 2009 at 09:44.
wulee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:12   #17
peace_of_soul

Fuel Economy: 47

Dan, thanks for the write-ups and thanks to Wulee for placing links. Those will be helpful when I replace my blown drivers side fan this Saturday. The motor has locked up on it - it no longer turns freely - no wonder my a/c compressor went out last summer.
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:47   #18
DanG144
Veteran Member

Peace, you may want to look at the fan repair thread below. Many of them can be fixed with less than an hour's work.

Some links to PDF papers on troubleshooting A4 fans and Manual Air conditioners. Please forward any questions or corrections to me (DanG144).

Look in post #1 for the links.
I placed these links in the first post, also, to make them easier to find.

Last edited by DanG144; June 2nd, 2009 at 17:03.
DanG144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:22   #19
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egibbys
So I just went out and tested my fans and suprisingly they both work. The reason I'm suprised is because I have all the symptoms of the a/c cutting out all the time. I've been trying to figure this issue out since I bought the car. If there is anyone in this thread that can point me in the right direction that would be great.
Maybe the fans are running intermittently due to engine/road vibration causing a short/loss of power. Just a thought.

--Nate
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:11   #20
DanG144
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDJetta
Maybe the fans are running intermittently due to engine/road vibration causing a short/loss of power. Just a thought.

--Nate
That could surely be the case. And with fans as old as his it could be that the brushes have just worn so much that they are at end of life and intermittently make contact.

But I would check my refrigerant pressures/levels first, then check out my pressure control switch (he has the older pressure control switch - after build dates May '99 you have pressure control duty cycle transducers.)
Old April 3rd, 2009, 20:07   #21
shagin'wagen
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Bora
Fuel Economy: 5L/100KM

Just checked my fans. They both work.
'85 Jetta Coupe
shagin'wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 20:29   #22
DanG144
Veteran Member

I see all you guy's from the Frozen North check your fans and they are fine.

Here in the South I see problems with about 40% of the cars that have not had someone specifically check before.

But not too many Southerner's are posting about checking their fans.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 21:12   #23
shagin'wagen
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Bora
Fuel Economy: 5L/100KM

My car originally came from Texas, so I assume that the AC was used quite a bit. It came to Canada in '07 apparently.
'85 Jetta Coupe
shagin'wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:56   #24
jayb79
Veteran Member

Great post Dan. I just fixed the bigger fan on my NB. It had stuck brushes. I was able to bend the tab back with a punch and when i resealed the end a couple broke but it should be fine. Thanks again.
Old April 5th, 2009, 15:41   #25
mctdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta

Thanks Dan
R.I.P. 2004 Golf 362,993 miles,
mctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 15:55   #26
Dana Hanchett
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011

Thanks DanG144 my large drivers side fan has quite after the winter. Please take the time to test your fan operation. My buddy did and his both have stopped after they started.
Dana Hanchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 00:06   #27
LurkerMike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: -Whitey: 38-40 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph / -Red 46 mpg Hwy @ 80 mph

Hi Dan,

My driver's side fan was inop. I could never get the radiator thermoswitch unplugged to jump there. How the heck do you get the $#!@&% plug off?

I tried pushing in on the what I thought was the latch release on the backside but it won't budge. I removed the fan and the skid plate and still could not man handle it off.

So I gave up and hotwired the fan to the battery... nothing... (my fuse is a quick hand to disconnect the circuit if there is a problem...)

I used a hacksaw to cut the bent ears off that hold the dust cover on the end of the fan. I used a file to file the sides of these bent tabs down so the cover would fit back on nicely.

I found the brushes had melted the corners inside their plastic guides so I used a very small screwdriver to scrape the melted corners relatively smooth.

The armature was black so I burnished it with 400 grit sandpaper and I gently scraped between the copper plates just enough to see a gap between them.

After reassembly the fan worked like a charm.

Now I'm moving on to why the A/C stopped working a few weeks ago, despite not having been able to do the high speed fan test yet.
LurkerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:28   #28
DanG144
Veteran Member

I think you should have used 800 grit emory cloth instead of sandpaper, otherwise a good job.

So you only had one bad fan, not two?

The electrical plug on the thermoswitch is typical VW. Theoretically all you have to do is squeeze the tab inward while pulling gently outward on the plug.

Typically, though, especially the first time I remove a plug, I have problems. I often have to push in on the plug very hard, then while squeezing the tab, wiggle it vigorously from side to side. Sometimes I have to use a screwdriver under the edge of the plug to pry a bit. Sometimes it just takes perseverance.

I will email you my latest AC troubleshooting guide revision. It is not quite ready for publication here (should be next weekend) but it has some info that may help you.

Dan
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:21   #29
ta79pr
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 TTQ (BEW)
Fuel Economy: avg. 43

are the low and high wires two sets of brushes within the fan? NEVERMIND, i see the internal pics now - I guess it is just a resistor(s). I have high speed operation but no low speed. is there a common reason the low doesnt work, wiring\module, etc.?

Last edited by ta79pr; April 12th, 2009 at 11:26.
ta79pr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:48   #30
BrianCT
Veteran Member

TDI(s): TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG144
I see all you guy's from the Frozen North check your fans and they are fine. ...
DanG144,

I just performed your test with A/C switch on, fan position on [1] and ignition key turned on [motor not running]. Both fans ran at slow speeds as designated.

Thanks for taking the time to put this altogether for us.

Dunno 'bout the rest of these Northern folkes, but I never use my A/C. In the past 6.5 years and 225,000 miles of ownership since new I may have used it 1/2 dozen times [thanks to your write up I'm reassured it's working].

sent from an iThong™
BrianCT is offline   Reply With Quote