Tire sizes

rmguy22

TDI
2002 Jetta
If I am not worried about the speed/odometer being off, would 225/75/15's fit with a MN 2" lift and a sagging suspension replaced with wagon shocks/struts and springs? I am expecting almost an inch of lift from the shock/struts alone b/c mine are completely out.

Any info would be appreciated.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Whoa...that is a big tire. My 205/70/15 snow tires are as big as I want to go and they are only 26.4" dia. Narf_Blast has 205/75/15's (27" dia) on his Golf and he is going to step down to the 205/70 on his next set of tires.

For sure dont go over a 27" tire, I would recommend not going over 26.5" personally. It is not a rubbing issue (though a 225/75/15 would probably rub the strut) as much as it is a gearing issue. That is a big jump in size.

There is alot of discussion on this if you SEARCH in the Upgrades section. Particularly if you look in the 2" lift thread.

www.1010tires.com has an excellent tire size calculator.

rmguy22

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks.
I am new to this site, as well as to forums in general.
I have been researching the site for answers to other questions I have. I am just getting used to where everything is though.
Appreciate the insight.

Just used the search feature. Thanks, Lots of info.

Last edited:

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
So does that mean that the 205/65/15 studded tires that my dad just gave me will fit my stock 2003 Jetta? Is there a way to adjust the speedometer with VCDS? I can look up that last one pretty easily I think.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Those will fit just fine as long as your suspension isnt too crapped out/sagging.

I think the speedo can be corrected, but the ODO will still be off. That is not a big change, so the speedo will just be closer to accurate...but still read faster than you are actually going. You can easily apply a correction factor to your ODO if you want. Basically it will show less miles than you've actually traveled.