Tax on barbequing, can a tax on fossil fuel be far behind?

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
We already have one here. Called sales tax. Everytime you buy charcoal, propane, and even wood (depending where you buy wood). Some communities even have a "stump tax" on the wood.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"Experts said that between 50 and 100 grams of CO2, a so-called greenhouse gas, is emitted during barbequing. Beginning June 2007, residents of Wallonia will have to pay 20 euros for a grilling session. "

20 Euros a grilling session tax!:eek:

Before I clicked the link, I thought it must be in the Republik of Kalifornia, again! (They banned BBQing in some CA locales, but for air pollution reasons)

--Nate

Last edited:

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
"The local authorities plan to monitor compliance with the new tax legislation from helicopters, whose thermal sensors will detect burning grills."

That is a brilliant idea, a real swiss watch of a plan . . .

How much CO2 will be emitted by the helicopters while they are hovering searching for illicit grilling being done? Probably more than 50-100 grams. I don't know how using a $1.5 million (guessing price) helicopter to monitor tax violations to the tune of $35 a pop is going to pay off. That's 42,800+ BBQ taxes that has to be paid, just to cover the initial cost of a helicopter.

That's the government for ya - spending money to make less money. I guess it's the same in every other country.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
If this picks up momentum, what's next? Probably a point source tax on methane. That would mean a burrito from Taco Bell would cost another three cents because of the diners increased methane production. Call it the "greenhouse gas ass tax".

Dennis P Roth

Veteran Member
Avenue, Southern Maryland, USA N 38º 14.587' W
TDI
2006 Golf GLS REFLEX SILVER
Belgium local authorities deny barbequing tax reports

http://en.rian.ru/world/20070404/63077075.html

"We have repeatedly denied this information, which is nothing but an April Fool's Day joke. But we never imagined it would create such a fuss," said the press secretary of Wallonia's minister for agricultural, rural affairs, the environment and tourism.
------

It traveled so far and fast because it was so believable

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Dennis P Roth said:
Belgium local authorities deny barbequing tax reports

http://en.rian.ru/world/20070404/63077075.html

"We have repeatedly denied this information, which is nothing but an April Fool's Day joke. But we never imagined it would create such a fuss," said the press secretary of Wallonia's minister for agricultural, rural affairs, the environment and tourism.
------

It traveled so far and fast because it was so believable
__. You mean it's NOT for real???? Oh, I'm so disappointed. I was hoping that this was another great step forward. And, Mopar, it takes about 3 days to pipe sunshine to Russia much less the news!

PS People in the cities in Belgium tell "Wallonian" jokes which are often recycled Irish/Polish jokes.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The only thing that clues me in to this being an April Fool's Day joke is that the fee is 20 Euros per BBQ session. That's about, well $24 US dollars now. If it were 20 Euros per grilling SEASON (all summer) it would be believable.

About the only way to enforce this (if it were true) is to tax the fuel (propane).

You can't beleive everythig you read, suposidly in the news.

--Nate