Another oil consumption thread. HELP

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 tdi Jetta, 2006 tdi jetta PKG 2
Ok so here we go. I have an 06 BRM jetta with 240000 miles on it. I recently did a complete head rebuild because of one valve broke. This is where I need some help. My EGR had been hissing for a while when this happened. I removed the head and found a broken valve and a very caked intake. Will a leaky EGR cause a caked intake?

After reassembly I have high blow by from the valve cover that I never noticed before and very high oil consumption. I am talking 1 quart in approx. 500 miles. So I am trying to narrow it down. Could the broken valve be caused by bad turbo seals dumping oil into the intake and then compressing it? Or is it related to a leaky EGR. Or is it dumping oil from the CCV because of the high blow by pressure. The turbo still boosts fine and runs fine except for the occasional over boost because of a me needing to replace the zip tie mod back on the actuator. I will get some blueish grey smoke if sitting in a traffic jam for 15 minutes and then accelerating up to Freeway speeds. But no real heavy smoke. I can occasionally smell a hint of oil burning smell coming from the exhaust.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If the turbo is passing all that oil, you will have a lot of it present in the intake tract, particularly the intercooler. I would start by checking there - remove the intake piping from the lower fitting on the intercooler and see if any oil comes out or can be syphoned out. Also, have you checked the exhaust impeller on the turbo? not uncommon for broken valve parts to get garberated by the turbo and cause damage to the blades.

If there is not a lot of oil there, you are likely losing it past the rings. When you redid the head, did you give any attention to the pistons?

How bad was the valve broken - was there any damage to that cylinder?

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
Perfect. I will def drop the lower hose in the inter cooler but I wasn't sure how to tell if it was coming from the turbo or from the ccv. Also I should have just pulled the turbo when I had the exhaust manifold off and inspected it. It spun fine and there was no play in any direction. And I could not find the piece that went missing of the valve it was not lodged in the cylinder anywhere so that is a possibility is that it made its way into the turbo.. The cylinder walls looked fine but not sure if that means anything.

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
So dropped the intercooler hose and no pooling oil. Oily but no pools of oil. Did a compression test and 1 310psi 2 320 3 320 4 320. So maybe low on compression. I installed a CCV catch can so I will see what that catches. I am at a loss now.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Could be stuck/gummed up oil control rings. Or worn valve guides. You might try adding a solvent of some sort to the cylinders to try to free up the rings. Let it soak for a day or two and remove.

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced valve guides and valve seals when the head was off. So I am thinking it may just be time for a rebuild of the bottom end.