Fluid leak at Clutch Slave Cylinder

altabound67

TDI
Gen2,GEN 3,Gen 4
03 Jetta, new to me, the clip holding the line into the slave was missing. Put in clip and it leaked. Replaced O-Ring and there is still leak. Do not believe the leak is between the slave and the fitting (ie,O-ring). Suspect it is between the fitting and the tube. The fitting will turn on the tubing. Is this as it should be? If so, what is the seal between the tubing and fitting. If I have to change the hose how in heck do you get at the other end? What is the magic? What are the chances of sealing between the fitting and the tube?

Crankous

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GL 5speed w/Panzer FMJ, 2005 B5.5 passat auto, 2000 Golf 4 door 5 speed
If I were you I would clean it really well with some brake parts cleaner and JB weld the seam at the tube and fitting. I don't believe either of mine turn on the tube.

altabound67

TDI
Gen2,GEN 3,Gen 4
Thanks for that info. That is what I suspected. Wondering if Loctite would penetrate after some brake clean. Still have silver solder. I will see what it is l like after some cleaning. Sure don't want to touch the other end!

Edit: Tixed with silver solder, believe this was original method but defective job

Last edited:

seang28

TDI
2000 Golf 2D
I have the same problem. Waiting on new O rings & mounting clips to see if that fixes it. Going to coat the O rings with a little silicone to help the seal. It could be that the plastic slave cylinder body is worn just enough to cause the leak. (plastic brake parts?!?) Also, I'm up in maine where everything shrinks in zero degree weather.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Not that I needed another issue to deal with, but...

While doing a clutch job I had the slave flopping around a bit and I saw fluid leak out of it. What might have gone wonky on me here? I don't believe that it had been leaking, though I can't really be sure (things were a bit messy; I cleaned up not really giving it much thought as to where the buildup came from [over the course of 200k miles).

I'd like to hook this up to verify the clutch operation before I start doing the final work.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
03 Jetta, new to me, the clip holding the line into the slave was missing. Put in clip and it leaked. Replaced O-Ring and there is still leak. Do not believe the leak is between the slave and the fitting (ie,O-ring).

Suspect it is between the fitting and the tube. The fitting will turn on the tubing. Is this as it should be? If so, what is the seal between the tubing and fitting. If I have to change the hose how in heck do you get at the other end? What is the magic? What are the chances of sealing between the fitting and the tube?
DO NOT use supposed brake cleaner on anything that has rubber in it. It will damage the O-ring and hose. Supposed "brake cleaner" is only to be used on metallic brake parts. It says right on the brake cleaner can to protect anything made of rubber. If you clean the O-ring or hose, use Isopropyl alcohol.

And yes, the hose end will turn on the fitting. Also, lubricate the O-ting with brake fluid only. Anything with petroleum in it will damage it, as well.

Last edited: