www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 13th, 2017, 18:06   #16
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Rem, I looked at the data and things look good until just after 4k RPM and then the air just drops off a cliff even though the RPMs are still increasing (just before, what looks like, the OP let off the pedal). Under 4k RPMs I cannot see there being any issues, nothing that would suggest a big impact to FE.
Well, I can't comment much on how the engine is supposed to behave above 4000 RPM. I've done a ton of data logs, but I never bothered testing anything above 4 grand as I'm never up there anyway.

What I do know, from my own experience, is that in the lower daily driver RPM's, if everything is working properly, the MAF specified and MAF actual usually track pretty closely together, all the way up to 850 and back down to idle.

The MAF numbers make much more sense if you can see the boost numbers along with them. See where the MAF actual spikes when he first stomps the pedal down? That's where the boost is spiking.

To be honest, I was really only looking at the numbers and not really paying any attention to FE issues.
Personally, I'd spend 10 minutes testing a MAF, and if it didn't behave 100% perfectly, I'd chuck it in the bin and buy a new one...lol. In VW TDI repair dollars, they're about the cheapest thing you can buy.

Then again, I've been known to buy things I don't need.
Rembrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 16:40   #17
AZ98TDI

Fuel Economy: 44mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
If it was me, I'd do the same tests you've already done, but include boost in the data. A good data log for the ALH is MAF, Inj Timing, and Boost, all together.

Rembrant, here is the data log I did today with all 3 together.

https://log.malonetuning.com/chart/3...KaegEAAA%3D%3D
AZ98TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 17:35   #18
UhOh
Veteran Member

The instructions on Malone's site say to start around 1,500 rpm (others will say 1,800) in third gear and then slam it until you hit redline. I'm not seeing that in your logs: you're not hitting redline and there doesn't seem to be a very rapid increase in RPMs.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2017, 01:33   #19
Rembrant
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG.

I'm no expert, but I don't see anything there worth worrying about.

I'd go back and review the things that were changed. If the mileage decreased after a TB change, or after changing IP seals, etc...look at those items.
Rembrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2017, 14:51   #20
AZ98TDI

Fuel Economy: 44mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
The instructions on Malone's site say to start around 1,500 rpm (others will say 1,800) in third gear and then slam it until you hit redline. I'm not seeing that in your logs: you're not hitting redline and there doesn't seem to be a very rapid increase in RPMs.
Here is the new one I did this morning hitting redline in 3rd gear.

https://log.malonetuning.com/chart/3...vCjQEAAA%3D%3D

I do believe things have improved and I'll know for sure when I fill up next.
AZ98TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 02:32   #21
UhOh
Veteran Member

OK, thanks, that's a bit easier to review.

There's a bit of a boost spike happening. If, however, you're not going in to limp mode then it's not substantial enough to be an issue: my wife's car is a bit spiky and it's been that way since we've owned it and it's never went into limp mode. Other than this the boost/turbo looks like it's behaving fine.

I still see that the MAF Actual drops quite a bit when hitting higher RPMs. I'm wondering whether you might have some intake clogging. That'll drop FE a bit, though I believe that it has to be fairly substantial for it do have a big impact on FE.
Old September 20th, 2017, 11:48   #22
Owain@malonetuning

These motors don't really flow above 4000 in stock configuration, looks normal. MAF request and actual do not have to follow each other.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 00:16   #23
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain@malonetuning View Post
These motors don't really flow above 4000 in stock configuration, looks normal. MAF request and actual do not have to follow each other.
I'd have to look at some of my old logs, but I don't recall such a severe drop off. But, there's little reason to be running these engines above 4k RPMs (unless modded for it).