vr6 suspension swap?

tdijim

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 1996 Passat TDI
So...my '96 B4V is up around 240,000 miles and although it is a great cruiser, it reminds me, just a little, of a Buick when I'm out on the freeway. I once communicated with a member who swapped everything out to vr6 suspension status and said he really liked it and was glad he did.

Alas, I lost his reply and my search results were negative. If anyone has gone all-out to a vr6 suspension setup, I would appreciate talking with you. If I'm going to be updating my suspension anyway, I'm wondering how much more it would take to get my '96 B4V handling like my old gas vr6 sedan. It had a completely different "GT" feel up in the hills and the sweeping curves.

Anyone out there?

Jim

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
You would probably get as much benefit from fitting your car with new Bilstein struts and new strut mounts all around. I can't see how swapping over to the Plus suspension 5x100 really adds all that much.

I've thought about it over the years but can't really justify it. When it comes down to it the only substantive bene would be that there are a bunch more 5x100 VW wheels to choose from, otherwise I just don't see it.

If you want improved handling get a Neuspeed rear sway bar along with the Bilsteins, that tends to keep the butt under control better, I have one and like it.

Steve

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
I did the Plus suspension on my B4 a year ago. TDIJIM, like you, I was in the same situation, facing a much needed suspension refresh. I was lucky enough to have found a clean GLX manual transmission donor car at an abandoned auto auction for a very reasonable price. The suspension swap for me wasn't the main objective, I was more interested in replacing rusted fenders, doors, dented trunk lid and hood, a ratty cloth interior and lots of other little things.

When it comes down to parts, front spindles and calipers, front/rear 5 lug rotors, control arms, axles are the bulk of the swap. Front struts/springs/swaybar will still be TDI, same thing on the rear. Ball joints and tie rods are different, but you'd be replacing them anyway. The front brake line caliper fitting is different, so you'll need the VR6 flexible rubber brake hoses.

The 4 lug to 5 lug conversion DYI on the myturbodiesel.com site (http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/4-lug-to-5-lug-hub-conversion-on-the-mk3-tdi/) suggests also swapping the rear trailing arm, I think that would be necessary only if you were interested in swapping the ABS system. I toyed with the idea of adding the GLX ABS system, but it was above my skill level.

I've read that the TDI TRW steering rack can stay as is, I opted to use the ZF rack from the VR6 due to age and mileage.

For me, having the Plus control arms and OEM VR6 axles in hand, I was able to get new CA bushings pressed in, outer CV Joints flipped and rebooted, inner CV Joints rebooted prior to the swap.

Overall, I think handling is better since the swap, it least it feels that way compared to the other B4 I have here, maybe just all new suspension parts, maybe the 15" wheels with 195/60's, slightly wider control arms? One uncertainty I still have is the steering rack. To me, it seems like the ZF has less steering wheel resistance when turning, I think someone else here reported the same thing when using the ZF rack.

Like Steve said, there may be more choices when it comes to wheels. Myself, I really like the stock 5x100 bottlecap wheels, and being 15", tire choices are better too.

Last edited: