www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 7th, 2017, 17:22   #1
yvon g
Veteran Member

Default engine dies when put in reverse

a while ago every once in a while, not very often, the engine would die when car put in reverse. today i had to push car out of parking spot because every time it was put in reverse, engine died and air bag light stayed on . if i tried to start engine while in reverse, it would crank but no start. put it in neutral , started ok....no cel. drove home and into drive way, but need to back out to get out. any ideas....ecm...shift linkage touching harness some where ? sorry 2003 jetta tdi mt

thanks

tried to check if back up lights come on ...update is with key on and shifter put in reverse, all dash lights go out. also where is the connector for the back up light switch

Last edited by yvon g; September 9th, 2017 at 07:31.
yvon g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 13:22   #2
yvon g
Veteran Member

Default dies when in reverse

i disconnected the back up light switch. now i can back up without killing the engine. noticed that when i put the park brake on, my air bag light comes on.where can i find the pin positions for the ecm. suspect that corrosion could be the culprit. would like to what pins are close to the troublesome circuits to see what could next to act up.

thanks
Old September 14th, 2017, 17:17   #3
tophergrace
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Alh

sounds like you're onto something. I'd check your drains in the front windshield duct as well. They are known for clogging and retaining water
tophergrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 18:14   #4
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

3 earth points under the battery tray that are a common one, I think the reverse switch earths in the too.
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 01:55   #5
yvon g
Veteran Member

thanks guys...will check these out Saturday.
Old September 15th, 2017, 16:47   #6
yvon g
Veteran Member

Default ecm

any one with pin positions in the ecm for an 03 jetta tdi?
Old September 15th, 2017, 17:31   #7
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvon g View Post
any one with pin positions in the ecm for an 03 jetta tdi?
In my opinion, digging into pinouts for the ECU is a waste of time. You have broken wires somewhere. Start by doing a good inspection of the wire harness. I went through something similar on a Duramax. It would die going over bumps. Looked over the engine compartment and saw a wire harness sitting on an aluminum boost pipe and it had black around it. Inspected it and found two CAN wires worn through and they would move just right and short together through the pipe.

What I'm saying is looking and understanding what you see is key to a good visual inspection.
Old September 15th, 2017, 19:52   #8
UhOh
Veteran Member

Chafed wires in a VW, nah!
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 07:58   #9
yvon g
Veteran Member

chaffed wires are possibility for back up lights stalling out engine, but i don't think chaffed wires would cause the air bag light to come on when park brake is applied.
Old September 18th, 2017, 22:42   #10
yvon g
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatman View Post
3 earth points under the battery tray that are a common one, I think the reverse switch earths in the too.
to get the wires under the tray, can you get at them with just the battery removed or does the tray have to come off. tried to feel for them on Saturday....could get at them.
Old September 19th, 2017, 19:03   #11
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
to get the wires under the tray, can you get at them with just the battery removed or does the tray have to come off. tried to feel for them on Saturday....could get at them.
Once the battery is out the tray is easy to get out.
How would you see what you are doing anyway?
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 19:12   #12
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Quote:

Yeh it's only 4 10mm bolts anyway, you can get some lube on them from below if they're a bit snappy offy tight. Once it's out though you can clearly see the earths.
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 22:01   #13
yvon g
Veteran Member

thanks guys, will try again this weekend to get after it.....watching grand-children and a little OT at work limited available time last weekend.
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:49   #14
wonneber
Veteran Member

The dashboard parking light and the air bag spiral spring (in the steering wheel) both ground at the same point.
Below left side of the dash.
Maybe a bad ground feedback.
Its also a spot water from the sun roof drain can rust if I recall correctly.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 09:32   #15
yvon g
Veteran Member

Default bad ground

finally got around to checking this out. removed battery tray and found good grounds at the large one closest to the engine and the one closest to the left fender, but thee middle shows about 1000 ohms.checked the one under dash, (about trwo inches to the left of steering colounm with two brown wires going to it). this ground is good. where do the middle grounds under battery lead to in order to check other ends? thanks. removed rain tray. all dry and looks clean, the ground point by the ecm is good. if i check continuity between the two bad grounds under battery, they are infinite.

Last edited by yvon g; November 25th, 2017 at 09:46.