www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old September 6th, 2017, 10:15   #31
vanbcguy
Veteran Member

Gotcha, the addition of EDL / ASR would start up a conversation between the engine and the ABS system.

The ABS in my Passat is a simpler one, the 4 cylinder cars got plain ABS while VR6 cars had EDL too. The EDL version of the hardware has an extra multi pin connector at the pump.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Old September 6th, 2017, 11:46   #32
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/49/46

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbcguy View Post
Gotcha, the addition of EDL / ASR would start up a conversation between the engine and the ABS system.

The ABS in my Passat is a simpler one, the 4 cylinder cars got plain ABS while VR6 cars had EDL too. The EDL version of the hardware has an extra multi pin connector at the pump.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Well, from a list I was able to find on passat world forums and cross referenced on oemepc.com it appears the b5.5 Passat I have was fortunate enough to have them all. Unless I've read the numbers wrong. I have a 40 ish (43?) pin connector at the abs ecu as well as a second three pin that connects around on the back. I guess we'll see . Either way I wanted ANS to work so it needed to be done. The other possibility is swapping in a 4motion pump for when I get the syncro installed, IF that will make a difference.
DEAD-99.5 A4 Jetta, 349,919 miles RIPieces
iwannajettatdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 13:48   #33

TDI(s): None. 01 EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannajettatdi View Post
It has/had ESP and asr by default, but not EDL based on the info I could find. The Passat ABS unit has all three it seems. The biggest thing was getting the Eurovan abs pump to talk to the Passat ecu, no clue if that's possible honestly. From the mk4 abs pump swaps it appears only a small number of pumps can be coded to an ecu, no one really has a list or why it works that way. Just the way they were designed and programmed.

The 02g would be nice, but the 4cylinders won't bolt up to one. So you would need to import a 2.5L tdi. They offered syncro in the 02g though. I just didn't want a motor I couldn't easily get parts or service for. What I'm building is basically a stock van but with the BHW diesel instead of the ABL that was offered. Next gen TDI with otherwise stock van parts.

Some odds and ends parts and the starter delivered today. Exhaust was shipped. I'm hoping most of the big parts are in by next week so I can put them all on. The missus is going to be out of town for a few days which leaves me full reign in the garage. Minus a half a day for some mountain biking. The only things I'll still need to fab up are the oil pan and pickup which is at the welders currently, the passenger side mount, and the transfer case mount to the block on the passenger side. I think the rest is basically bolt/cobble together with parts I have.

Still need a coolant flow diagram of anyone has one for a 2002 EVW westfalia.
From what I understand the Bosch 5.3 has EDL based on one of the first lines which state: "ESP is an additional extension of the well-known driving safety systems ABS/EDL and ABS/EDL/ASR." plus this thread which lead me to believe that if it has ASR or ESP that EDL is an included component.

The 02G that would work with my AXK VR6 apparently doesn't support a syncro system. The 02G with syncro would require custom conversion.

I figured if I'm going custom anyway, perhaps I can just see how your 4motion project is going and go with that instead.
450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 15:34   #34
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Here's a question I can't seem to find the answer to... How much oil do I put in? I won't be able to rely on the dipstick since the engine is now sitting at a different angle. It looks like the older ABL TDIs in the T4 transporters used 5-5.5L of oil and they also had a steel sump. It was shaped a little differently, but similar enough. The typical BHW ran with 3.8-4L, however the pan was shaped quite differently. I'm trying to figure out how to remark the dipstick with the correct level so I know if I need to add/take out oil. I know putting too much oil in isn't good, but does anyone have some ideas about the actual level I should be shooting for? Thanks!
Old September 11th, 2017, 15:42   #35
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450
From what I understand the Bosch 5.3 has EDL based on one of the first lines which state: "ESP is an additional extension of the well-known driving safety systems ABS/EDL and ABS/EDL/ASR." plus this thread which lead me to believe that if it has ASR or ESP that EDL is an included component.

The 02G that would work with my AXK VR6 apparently doesn't support a syncro system. The 02G with syncro would require custom conversion.

I figured if I'm going custom anyway, perhaps I can just see how your 4motion project is going and go with that instead.
True, but some cars came with only ASR, some with ASR/EDL, some with all three. EDS is German for EDL if you see that at all. I don't think the eurovan had EDL based on what I could find in the manual and cross referencing the numbers of the pump online. Either way, the passat ABS will work with itself, and I wasn't sure if the EV ABS unit would be accepted by the BHW ECU. There were a few cases of folks not being able to code new/swapped/upgraded ABS units to their ECU. Something about them being a one time code, or the actual car's program won't accept but one or two different variants. Not sure about this completely, and it may have worked, but it's already wired in and the lines swapped over. Just have to bleed the brakes and the pump with VCDS.

The typical T4 uses syncro and viscous coupler vs. the 4 motion using a haldex controller at the rear. I have some thoughts about converting a VC setup to Haldex and running a standalone controller, but that is in the future and I'm just looking to get it running first. There are some MK2 forums where they have a mount to swap in a Haldex in place of their syncro rear end, so I'll have to look more into that when the time comes. The biggest hurdle with just using the T5 gearbox was the output of the transfer case was completely in the wrong spot for the T4 and the steering rack. If you could figure out a way to get around that and wanted to make the custom axles you could do it easy peasy.

So far the only thing custom is going to be the oil sump modifications, the passenger side transfer case bracket and the pass side motor mount. Everything else is stock and bolts up like it should. This project has become much easier, and the monumental task of the wiring becomes the hardest part. I *Think* I'm done with the wiring, we'll hopefully see this week! New axles are sitting in boxes too to be bolted up as the VR6 came with 112mm CVs the others had 108mm.
Old September 15th, 2017, 05:33   #36
therabbittree
Veteran Member

TDI(s): B4 passat

Awesome thread. You need to post pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 24th, 2017, 21:17   #37
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therabbittree View Post
Awesome thread. You need to post pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Working on it. I had quite a few pictures that have since been erased thanks to photobucket. I'll have to repost them eventually.

Progress being made. Got the passenger side motor mount welded up and put in. It's finally hanging on its own and not with an engine hoist or jack. Quite a glorious sight for sure. I've gotten the rear torque mount made and need to get it fitted up for the block to the passenger side of the transfer box. I've got most of the wiring hooked back up to the motor.

Done since the last post:

Passenger side motor mount welded up
Motor bolted up to the transmission
Clutch installed
Slave cylinder installed
Clutch pedal/master cylinder installed
Wiring finalized (I think...?)
Clutch safety switch installed
Cruise control wired into vans switch. I hope it will work. May still need some tweaking.
Shift box/linkage bolted up
Starter bolted up
Oil pan welded up, POR15'd, repainted and installed with gasket maker on both sides of the steel oil pan gasket.

Things I still need to do:

- get the AC and alternator mounted up. I may need to space these guys out just a little or get a 5 rib belt instead of the 6. Not sure how I want to play it yet. I had a tubing bender I was using to tweak the AC lines and ended up popping the line so ...
- get the AC recharged and a new hose made for the compressor. Which also means I'll need a new dryer too. Grrrr.
- PS pump. I ended up getting one for a Mini Cooper that is electrohydraulic because the pump was hanging way too low with the motor tipped forward. I had a new hose made up and I have the bracket and fan plus all the wiring for it. Should be a fairly straight forward hookup. But as with all things on this van, nothing has been straightforward haha.
- Coolant lines, I've found flow diagrams for both motors, and the guys over on the cavevan.com forums have posted a way to simplify the coolant hoses in the eurovan and get rid of some of the clutter in the engine bay.
- I've got a front mounted transmission cooler I'm going to use as a fuel cooler, should actually be straightforward. (see above)
- Accesory belt, gotta wait on the AC and alternator to be mounted so I can measure.
- Wire in the reverse switch. Still have to salvage a plug from the wiring harness.
- Bolt the axles up. I've got the correct bolts/flanges and the axles should just bolt up. This may be the only straightforward things about this.
- IC hoses, I've got multiple elbows, 45s and silicone pieces. If I have to cut any on the high pressure side I'll have to get them reswaged so keep them from blowing off under boost. I'm guessing exhaust shop? Any tips on this will be appreciated.
- Exhaust is half finished. I'm going to be welding the downpipe flange on tomorrow to the flex pipe. I have a piece that I'll have to cut a little shorter and I'm going to use one of the flexy pipes in between until I can get an actual downpipe made between the turbo and catalytic converter. Will I need to get a diesel specific converter? Can I use the one from the Passat? I'm just not sure if there is enough room with the shift linkage and the sway bar plus the steering rack. I'm going to go lay under the van again tonight and try to figure that out.
- ECU recoding, still planning to do this so the hanging when shifting gets taken care of. I haven't decided if I want to do a stage 1 tune as well, I'm just nervous about the box holding up. I did get the USRT pinion shaft brace so theoretically I'll be ok, but still. Not too worried about the HP, just the torque of the diesel. Clutch should hold about 325 ft-lbs, so I don't think I'll get too crazy on this.
- Bleed the brakes/clutch, run the ABS pump and bleed it again. I got a motive brake bleeder, so it should be pretty easy. Ha. Should be.
- EGT probe should bolt up to the fitting I made.
- O2 sensor still needs to be installed into the downpipe. AEM makes a bolt up clamp/wrap that might work. Easiest would be to toss it into the O2 sensor bung post cat for the van, but I don't know if being that far downstream will cause problems with the readings. Any input here? If I put it in the bung I'll have to extend the wiring back to the plug. Which is childsplay at this time after all the wiring I've done, I just don't know if I want to do that yet.

In the future:

- Get a downpipe made. I have a stainless turbo flange from Darkside Developments to start it off.
- 5th gear upgrade, still not sure how low I want to go.

I feel like I'm not making progress, but then again, I'm bolting things up slowly and getting closer to starting it. I think. I'm going to wait to finish up covering all of the wiring until I know it starts/runs to prevent having to undo it all again.
Old September 28th, 2017, 13:03   #38
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Progress since last post has been positive.

Most importantly.... It turns over!!! That was one of my biggest concerns that I'd managed to flub up the starting/clutch interlock circuits. Just have to finish the few bits below and I'll be trying to start it up.

- Finished the intake piping. It's now hooked up to the airbox.
- I think I have all the coolant hoses figured out.
- Welded in the o2/lambda sensor bung, installed sensor
- Put the EGT sensor back in
- EGR cooler is bolted back on and plumbed.
- Vacuum bulb and lines hooked up. I still need to figure out a barb for the airbox so it gets clean air in.
- Intercooler is mocked up and hanging
- Radiator, AC condensor and PS cooler lines hooked back up.
- Fuel cooler installed in front left radiator
- PS pump installed and hooked up. Still not completely happy with the reservoir location, but I'll deal with it later.
-Checked bolt torque for engine mounts, engine to transmission bolts and other random bits.

Still need to do:
- Finish intercooler plumbing
- Prime fuel pump/filter
- Refill coolant
- Bleed brakes/clutch
- Install axles
- Put the interior back together

Slowly but surely whittling things down. Getting close. Another day or two should do it I hope.
Old October 13th, 2017, 08:12   #39
archemitis
Veteran Member

Did you ever figure out what to do for the oil level? I think you should start from scratch to make sure you get it right. Mark the stick on your own and be conservative with the high low points. I just had to do that with my ALH in the T4, I went to where the pickup mushrooms out just before the tube for the low point, and up to the bottom of the windage tray for the high point.

Cool project!
I have all my photos on photobucket, and they still work. Im getting nervous about everything Ive read though.
archemitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 23:54   #40
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archemitis View Post
Did you ever figure out what to do for the oil level? I think you should start from scratch to make sure you get it right. Mark the stick on your own and be conservative with the high low points. I just had to do that with my ALH in the T4, I went to where the pickup mushrooms out just before the tube for the low point, and up to the bottom of the windage tray for the high point.

Cool project!
I have all my photos on photobucket, and they still work. Im getting nervous about everything Ive read though.
Archemitis, from my measuring I put a mark that is near the level of the windage tray and another on the stick towards the block/pan interface. I ended up putting about 4.7L in, I may have to adjust things around a little as I go along. I'm not as worried about being low as I am being high. I may still have to add some once the oil is circulated into the oil filter, and the rest of the housings and oilways in the block.

Since the last post things that have been finished:
- Intercooler plumbing is tidied up and I think I'm happy with it. I ended up getting a slightly smaller Mishimoto universal intercooler as it is slightly less tall and I think it will fit behind the bumper a little better.
- I have redone the coolant hoses a little and I think they will be fit better and will be under less stress. Hopefully they don't just blow apart once it builds up heat once we're running.

I think I've managed to short my stock ECU out, as I just can't manage to get the glow plug light to come on and I am having trouble connecting to some of the modules via VCDS. So I went to the part yard and picked up a 2nd BHW ECU and I can get all of the lights to come on and function on the dash, with a few issues.
1. Obviously the immobilizer. The easy thing is to just have this tuned out, and I may end up this way, but I've got the dash, the key/chip, the induction ring around the ignition switch and the stock ECU. I think I'll be able to get the ECU immobilizer info transferred over with VAG-TACHO that I have rented, we shall see. The reason I'm going through all of this is because I want to try and keep the van from getting stolen. I know the Vanagons are much more coveted, but they are stolen here in the PNW not infrequently. It may be false security on my part, but I'll still sleep better at night.
2. the new ECU is in crash shutdown mode, how do I turn this off and reset it?
3. I have a flashing glow plug light. In the BHW ECUs this is typically because of relay 219 or a brake light issue. All of the brake lights are working. I've replaced relay 219 and can feel/hear it clicking and working. Any thoughts?
4. The biggest and most frustrating issue is I'm having a back feed of a few volts, about 2.5V from the ECU to the fuel pump relay and that ends up going back to the relay 219 and prevents it from shutting off when the key is turned off. I have to either pull the battery or the relay 219 out to get it to shut back off. I've traced all the grounds I can see on the ECU wiring diagram, and they all seem to be functioning appropriately. I've traced the wires of the 219 circuit from the battery, to the relay 219, to the ECU and the fuel pump relay, to the fuel pump and the ECU again. There are no extra wires, no faulty grounds, the only thing I can come up with is that the ECU is putting out voltage on the T94/52 pin that I think should be grounded to make the fuel pump come on. Is it not grounding all the way? Does this sound like a ground problem? It has been infuriating and I'm not sure where else to check. I started a post in the TDI 101 forum, I probably should have listed it here or in the passat specific forums. HERE is a link to it with pictures of the wiring diagrams. Is this a problem with the reverse switch like the last poster mentions? Which wires do I need to bridge to get this working?

Anyways, here is the latest scans with the new immobilized ECU. Keep in mind the airbags and steering wheel are not connected. The first one is a passat scan, the second is the transporter/eurovan scan. Any tips are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Wednesday,18,October,2017,22:30:43:56604
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows XP x86
VCDS Version: 17.8.0.1
Data version: 20170721 DS276.2
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: WVWVE63B94E285247 License Plate:

Chassis Type: 3B (3B - VW Passat B5 (1997 > 2005))
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 16 17 19 35 36 37 46 47 55 56 57 58 75 76 77

VIN: WVWVE63B94E285247 Mileage: 323190km-200820miles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-016-BHW.lbl
Part No SW: 038 997 016 N HW: 028 101 198 2
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 1388
Revision: 12345678 Serial number: VWZ7Z0D9744501
Coding: 0150034
Shop #: WSC 23337 444 66590
VCID: 2959BEB583243E0EFD-5140

8 Faults Found:
18017 - Crash Shut-Down Activated
P1609 - 000 - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1050 /min
Torque: 44.0 Nm
Speed: 39.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 14.14 V
Bin. Bits: 00001011
Torque: 166.0 Nm
Torque: 0.0 Nm

16791 - EGR Sensor 2
P0407 - 000 - Signal too Low
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Torque: 202.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Lambda: -1.3 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 725.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 0.0 mg/str
Bin. Bits: 00000000

18080 - Coolant Fan Control 1
P1672 - 000 - Open or Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 11.93 V
Bin. Bits: 00001000
Temperature: 14.4C
Duty Cycle: 0.0 %

18034 - Powertrain Data Bus
P1626 - 000 - Missing Message from TCU
Freeze Frame:
Bin. Bits: 10000100

18057 - Powertrain Data Bus
P1649 - 000 - Missing Message from ABS Controller
Freeze Frame:
Torque: 140.0 Nm

18044 - Powertrain Data Bus
P1636 - 000 - Missing Message from Airbag Controller
Freeze Frame:
Torque: 108.0 Nm

17949 - Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
P1541 - 000 - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 12.01 V
Bin. Bits: 0
(no units): 0.0

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 - 000 - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 1J0-909-60x-VW3.lbl
Part No: 1J0 909 603 CK
Component: AIRBAG VW3 - V04
Coding: 17227
Shop #: WSC 02743
VCID: 74E79FC1446633E69E-4B00

3 Faults Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)
32-00 - Resistance Too High
00589 - Airbag Igniter 1; Passenger Side (N131)
00532 - Supply Voltage B+
07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 3B0-920-xx5-17.lbl
Part No: 3B0 920 929 C
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V04
Coding: 15235
Shop #: WSC 23345
VCID: 275DB88DC530087EEB-5106
WVWVE63B94E285247 VWZ7Z0D9238547

6 Faults Found:
00771 - Fuel Level Sensor (G)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus
01177 - Engine Control Unit
65-10 - Unauthorized - Intermittent
01316 - ABS Control Module
49-00 - No Communications
01321 - Control Module for Airbags (J234)
01315 - Transmission Control Module
01336 - Company Data Bus for Comfort System

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.lbl
Part No: 6N0 909 901
Component: Gateway K<->CAN 0001
Coding: 00006
Shop #: WSC 05311
VCID: 70EF93D1307E0FC67A-5106

4 Faults Found:

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 05:31)--------------------------

Wednesday,18,October,2017,22:53:22:56604
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows XP x86
VCDS Version: 17.8.0.1
Data version: 20170721 DS276.2
www.Ross-Tech.com

VIN: WVWVE63B94E285247 License Plate:

Chassis Type: 3B (7D - VW Transporter/Multivan (1996 > 2004))
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 17 18 19 22 25 35 37 56

VIN: WVWVE63B94E285247 Mileage: 323190km-200820miles
Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-016-BHW.lbl
Part No SW: 038 997 016 N HW: 028 101 198 2
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 1388
Revision: 12345678 Serial number: VWZ7Z0D9744501
Coding: 0150034
Shop #: WSC 23337 444 66590
VCID: 2959BEB583243E0EFD-5140

8 Faults Found:
18017 - Crash Shut-Down Activated
P1609 - 000 - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1050 /min
Torque: 44.0 Nm
Speed: 39.0 km/h
Voltage: 14.14 V
Bin. Bits: 00001011
Torque: 166.0 Nm
Torque: 0.0 Nm

16791 - EGR Sensor 2
P0407 - 000 - Signal too Low
Freeze Frame:
Lambda: -1.3 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 725.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 0.0 mg/str

18080 - Coolant Fan Control 1
P1672 - 000 - Open or Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Temperature: 14.4C
Duty Cycle: 0.0 %

18034 - Powertrain Data Bus
P1626 - 000 - Missing Message from TCU
Freeze Frame:
Bin. Bits: 10000100

18057 - Powertrain Data Bus
P1649 - 000 - Missing Message from ABS Controller
Freeze Frame:

18044 - Powertrain Data Bus
P1636 - 000 - Missing Message from Airbag Controller
Freeze Frame:
Torque: 108.0 Nm

17949 - Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
P1541 - 000 - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Bin. Bits: 0

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 - 000 - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 1J0-909-60x-VW3.lbl
Part No: 1J0 909 603 CK
Component: AIRBAG VW3 - V04
Coding: 17227
Shop #: WSC 02743
VCID: 74E79FC1446633E69E-4B00

3 Faults Found:
00588 - Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N95)
00589 - Airbag Igniter 1; Passenger Side (N131)
00532 - Supply Voltage B+
07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 3B0-920-xx5-17.lbl
Part No: 3B0 920 929 C
Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V04
Coding: 15235
Shop #: WSC 23345
VCID: 275DB88DC530087EEB-5124
WVWVE63B94E285247 VWZ7Z0D9238547

6 Faults Found:
00771 - Fuel Level Sensor (G)
30-00 - Open or Short to Plus
01177 - Engine Control Unit
65-10 - Unauthorized - Intermittent

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 6N0-909-901-19.lbl
Part No: 6N0 909 901
Component: Gateway K<->CAN 0001
Coding: 00006
Shop #: WSC 05311
VCID: 70EF93D1307E0FC67A-5124

4 Faults Found:

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 03:20)--------------------------
Old October 20th, 2017, 12:57   #41

TDI(s): None. 01 EV

Have you tried posting on Ross-Tech's forum?
450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 13:12   #42
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450 View Post
Have you tried posting on Ross-Tech's forum?
Just did.
Old October 26th, 2017, 00:52   #43
iwannajettatdi
Veteran Member

I managed to find the issue with the wiring. When I was hooking up the brake light switch and cruise control wiring I somehow managed to splice a wire that was always hot with 12V into the switch at wire 3 for the vacuum vent switch for the cruise control. I had thought it was needed to make the brake lights work, but, I didn't. So I snipped that from the splice, removed the other end from the fuse box and it fixed the problem!

It LIVES! (Click the picture to watch the video)

But there's an issue with the stock ECU. When I first hooked everything up and turned the key, the van will only crank and crank and the relay 219 clicks on and off rapidly. But no start. When I moved the towel that was under the ECU and put it on the radiator support it starts up immediately and works perfectly. Odd. It's like it needs to be grounded. The used parts yard ECU will start the van whether it's on the towel or not and then is promptly shut down by the immobilizer, as expected.

Is there an issue with my ECU? Can I just mount it so that it's not isolated from its bracket and is grounded to the body? Or should I just have the tuner swap the immo info over to the used ECU and use it since it doesn't seem to be shorted out to anything?

I was able to pull the SKC from my original ECU/cluster, but I can't get the vagtacho to connect to the used ECU since I don't have the cluster it was paired with. If I use it while it's hooked up to the van it just gives me the same SKC, VIN and IMMO ID from the cluster.

Things left to do before going for a ride:
- recode ECU/immo swap
- install axles
- bleed brakes/ABS pump
- bleed clutch
- wheels and tires
- reinstall interior
- wire PS pump
- AC wiring
- radiator fan circuit
- install shocks (I got the Fox shocks from GoWesty)

Not too bad in the grand scheme of this swap. It will probably take me a day or three of futzing around to put it back together, which it's going to take for the ECU to be sent off and mailed back. Speaking of which, what am I going to have to do about the airbag controller? I have the module from the Passat still, am I going to be able to get the Eurovan controller to speak to/work with the Passat ECU? Or will I have to swap the plug on the Eurovan and put the Passat airbag controller in its place? Can this just be tuned out of the Passat ECU and the Eurovan controller will work and do its thing?

Here is the list of near updates that I want to do once we're on the road and the CELs are dealt with.
- replace brake pads/rotors. Fluid is getting flushed with the brake bleeding above.
- CaveVan rear spacers
- Crank up the torsion bars to level it out
- Poptop canvas tent replacement
- install multirail for Stitches and Steel awning. I'm super pumped about this guy, it looks VERY well made.
- install syncro rear bits to finish the syncro install
- swap the cheapo axles I have with either raxles or with the stock VR6 axles rebuilt with smaller inner joints. I found some from GNK/Loebro on FCPeuro auto parts, so this may be on the short list to do ASAP.
- rubber floor mat for the rear to cover the carpet.
- solar charging system for off grid camping
- bike rack for the rear
- spare tire needs to be changed to match the other four
- get a spare set of steel rims and off road tires.

And future mods:
- Better lighting on both front and rear
- Interior lighting
- Stainless exhaust
- Some sort of raised snorkel like intake that's not in the front fender
- fab a low profile aluminum front bumper with a winch mount and recovery points
- build a rear bumper with a spare tire carrier since the syncro differential will be in the way. I'll probably get a jerry can holder and some sort of bike rack mixed in there as well. Some recovery points in there as well. This may also require some of the LWB transporter truck springs that are heavier.
- 1-2" subframe spacers from HDPE so that the axles aren't at such extreme angles and it will match the CaveVan spacers. I know it doesn't change the travel or the articulation, but it will put the suspension back at its design height and the van should ride and drive better. I'll probably have to space the motor and transmission mounts out as well, but that won't be too bad after this build. The coolant lines and possibly the brake lines will need to be lengthened/adjusted too.

If you're still following along, any input is appreciated!

Last edited by iwannajettatdi; October 26th, 2017 at 00:58.
Old October 26th, 2017, 08:43   #44
archemitis
Veteran Member

Lowering the front subframe is as an awesome idea! I lifted an early 80s Subaru that way. Works great for bigger tires, and keep all your geometry the same. Pretty sure you'll need to extend your steering shaft, and everything else would fit with a 1 inch! Maybe even a 2! WOW my mind is blown. I sure wish I would have lifted my t4 an inch or two when I just did the motor swap. New plan!
Ive never had any ALH ECU grounded and they always work fine. Now... once I touched the ecu case to the positive of the battery cable... That doesnt work at all, let all the yellow smoke out immediately.
Your van is going to be awesome!
archemitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 09:24   #45
Josh_WA
Veteran Member

Please please detail spacing the front subframe. With the later model you may be creating a spacer for the front mounts, but for a 93 or 95, you can now use the hydraulic mounts as opposed to the rubber by doing that. Never thought of that!

Last edited by Josh_WA; October 29th, 2017 at 07:33. Reason: Hydraulic
Josh_WA is offline   Reply With Quote