Post your best TDI mileage pulling a TRAILER

will-burr

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
This post is showing off your BEST TDI mileage pulling a TRAILER. Please describe what you are pulling...

My best mileage in my 2011 Jetta TDI 6M is 40.9 mpg on a 190 mile round-trip pulling my Motocross bike on a Harbor Freight 4'x8' Folding Trailer.

My typical MX trip I do is not easy either going over the Santa Cruz Mountains, through the San Jose metropolis, over the Fremont hills, through Pleasanton/Dublin traffic and then going up the hills of Brentwood Vasco Road...

will-burr

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Here is my Fuelly Mileage Log.

I keep track of my Fuelly Mileage of "TDI with MTB bikes" separate of "TDI with MX bike and trailer".

will-burr

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I have trucks to pull my trailers. Lol
Yes, I do "laugh out loud" when I drive into my local MX tracks and see everyone driving in there 8-12 mpg 4x4 or 12-16 mpg Truck or 8-10 mpg SUV with trailer to bring their MX Bikes to the MX tracks.

I had a 2001 Dodge Dakota and got 15mpg City, 16mpg Average, 18mpg
peak long trip highway mileage and 16mpg with MX Bikes.

Let's do the math for the truckers...

For my 2001 Dodge Dakota on a typical MX trip:
(180mi/16mpg) = 11.25gal * $4.21 unleaded/gallon = $47.36

For my 2011 Jetta TDI w/Trailer on a typical MX trip:
(180mi/40mpg) = 4.50gal * $4.39 unleaded/gallon = $19.76

$47.36 - $19.76 = $27.76 which is the saved money that pays my $25 MX track fee.

Yes, I am LOL!!! :p

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Well thats understandable...but the average person doesnt need a truck its just they think they do...Ive towed a lot with my tdis and im more then impressed...but yah heavy equipment hauling is what trucks are for.

jmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6MT
Well thats understandable...but the average person doesnt need a truck its just they think they do...Ive towed a lot with my tdis and im more then impressed...but yah heavy equipment hauling is what trucks are for.

Personally, I do not feel that cars are made for towing, not sure I would feel comfortable doing it. But to each his own.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
This post is showing off your BEST TDI mileage pulling a TRAILER. Please describe what you are pulling...
My best mileage in my 2011 Jetta TDI 6M is 40.9 mpg on a 190 mile round-trip pulling my Motocross bike on a Harbor Freight 4'x8' Folding Trailer.
My typical MX trip I do is not easy either going over the Santa Cruz Mountains, through the San Jose metropolis, over the Fremont hills, through Pleasanton/Dublin traffic and then going up the hills of Brentwood Vasco Road... [/IMG]
Off topic but did you wire your trailer lights in your car? I took the powered wire kit out of my passat and want to use it in the Jetta. I have a kayak trailer that I want to haul this summer. Just trying to figure it out some befor I get started.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Personally, I do not feel that cars are made for towing, not sure I would feel comfortable doing it. But to each his own.
well millions tow much more then we do here in europe so i dont worry about it...Ive towed two sleds 1200 kms with my tdi up the hills here with no issues at all...my buddy who came with has a truck and said the tdi did better then his gas ford would have....crap the hills we were going up were steep and i had to take it out of 6th very rarely:D

will-burr

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I used a "Curt PWM Powered Converter - Stop/Tail/Turn (STT) - Circuit Protected" on my Jetta. I bought it on etrailer.com and it was p/n 56146. It works great and never had any issues. 56146 is the corrected p/n

Last edited:

TDIx2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I used a "Curt PWM Powered Converter - Stop/Tail/Turn (STT) - Circuit Protected" on my Jetta. I bought it on etrailer.com and it was p/n 56201. It works great and never had any issues.
Did you wire it your self? I'm going to wire mine up this spring . Just looking for some tips on the how to part. I'm looking for information on the location and what wires used to hook into. Is your wire plug under your car or is it stored in the trunk when not in use?

will-burr

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Did you wire it your self? I'm going to wire mine up this spring . Just looking for some tips on the how to part. I'm looking for information on the location and what wires used to hook into. Is your wire plug under your car or is it stored in the trunk when not in use?
Sorry, I had the wrong p/n before. The CORRECT Tail Light Converter Kit from CURT is #56146

Here is the link...

http://www.curtmfg.com/HitchLookup/find?year=2011&make=Volkswagen&model=Jetta&style=Sedan%2C+Including+TDI#tab=wiring

The wiring order from top to bottom in the trunk at LEFT Tail Light assembly is:

Pin #, Color, What it does
9, Black w/ White Stripe, Left Turn
3, Brown, Ground
2, Black w/ Red Stripe, Brake
1, Gray w/ Black Stripe, Parking Lights

The wiring order from top to bottom in the trunk at RIGHT Tail Light assembly is:

Pin # Color What it does
4, Black w/ Green Stripe, Right Turn
3, Brown, Ground
1, Gray w/ Red Stripe, Parking Lights

Last edited:

will-burr

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I mounted the Tail Light Converter Box on the "inside wall" of the spare tire well adjacent to the rear bumper. There is a ton of room in there. The Tail Light Converter Box mounts easily with 2 way foam tape...

TDIx2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Sorry, I had the wrong p/n before. The CORRECT Tail Light Converter Kit from CURT is #56146

Here is the link...

http://www.curtmfg.com/HitchLookup/find?year=2011&make=Volkswagen&model=Jetta&style=Sedan%2C+Including+TDI#tab=wiring

The wiring order from top to bottom in the trunk at LEFT Tail Light assembly is:

3, Brown, Ground

The wiring order from top to bottom in the trunk at RIGHT Tail Light assembly is:

Pin # Color What it does
3, Brown, Ground
Awesome ! thanks that's exactly what I needed. I have a powered tail light converter that I took out of my passat. I had hooked it up to a 12v outlet in the cargo area in the passat for a power source . For all the towing I will be doing I could fish the plug into the back seat plug outlet when needed.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I mounted the Tail Light Converter Box on the "inside wall" of the spare tire well adjacent to the rear bumper. There is a ton of room in there. The Tail Light Converter Box mounts easily with 2 way foam tape...
Then you pull the wire plugg out and close the trunk down on the wire when towing? I thinking of doing this also, unless there is a already made hole in there big enough to get the plug end out under the car.

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
I'm going to be looking for a small enclosed trailer to tow with my jetta. Exact same as will's. Maybe 4' wide by 10' long by only 48" or so with sloped nose and all alum. For towing rc planes, rc 1/5 scale bajas. Camping gear, guns etc. if trailer is not high drag and under 1400 #, tdi will pull it fine will getting around 40mpg.

Will can you take pictures of your hidden hitch and post?

will-burr

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Then you pull the wire plugg out and close the trunk down on the wire when towing? I thinking of doing this also, unless there is a already made hole in there big enough to get the plug end out under the car.
On routing of the 4-wire plug connector when towing:
Yes, I pull the wire plug out below the trunk mat and go over the trunk seal and close the trunk. The seal is compliant and holds it in place perfectly without slipping during towing. I never have had the wire loom slip or move during towing and the compliant trunk seal never damages the wire loom. I was skeptical at first, but this is the cleanest way IMO.

On getting power in the trunk for "tail-light converter": I could not find a 12V "always on" power lead to tap off of in the trunk. VW used to have trunk outlets for remote CD player (example: 2001 Golf 1.8T), but I could not find one. I made a fused 12V lead off the battery, down the left front inside fenderwell, zipped tied with 1"x1" adhesive squares under the "aero panels" that are along the floor pan, up over the half shafts and through a rubber plug access hole in the spare tire well.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
With my A5 5 speed, 325 mile one way, over a mountain pass towed a 5X8 enclosed U-haul trailer to deliver a Console piano to my daughter. IFIRR, I got 30 MPG.

Because the load was on the heavy side, for the car, I made sure I stopped and started smoothly and left myself plenty of distance between me and the other cars. Absolutely no problems. I even stayed in 5Th over the mountain pass.

Another time with my A3 gasser Jetta pulling an enclosed U-Haul, I got a ticket for 85 MPH in a 65 MPH zone................

I probably would not tow anything heaver then those examples unless the trailer had trailer brakes. Not really to hard to get a load rolling but you really need to always have control of the load when you come to a stop or into a corner..................

Last edited:

TDIx2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Here is the link...
3, Brown, Ground
Pin # Color What it does
3, Brown, Ground
I finally got my curt hitch on Friday took 2hrs to install, but was simple to put in. I did have to trim some extra material off the dust cover. The directions / measurements from curt are off slightly on the trim job. I did the wiring yesterday and your description above was spot on. Took about a hour to complete the wiring. I did add some thick foam tape to both sides of the wire harness, the part that pulls out of the trunk and goes over the bumper. I did it to help protect the paint as it looked like the wires would most likely going rub on bumper surface while driving.
Thanks again
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s720x720/223853_3322216182778_1062749392_n.jpg

Last edited:

AliciaTDI

TDI
2012 Jetta
We pull our MX bikes with the jetta and leave our 2010 F150 at home. The bikes are 2012 KTMs and weigh in at 460lbs. The trailer is from Menards and we found we get better fuel milage with our gear bags in the trunk and back seat. I traded my 2010 Tundra rock warrior edition for the Jetta and been smiling ever since. Going down the freeway pulling at 75mph we get around 35mpg the Tundra would have got 14mpg doing the same task. We travel every weekend approx 200-400 miles to get to the races. I see there is a trend of more and more people switching to cars and getting away from trucks to get there bikes to the races. With the slow economy and high fuel costs it only makes sense.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Not Mk6 but with all the pics of people towing motorcycles, here's mine ...

On that particular trip (Toronto ON to Mont-Tremblant QC) the first stretch involved motorway for about 500 km and I had time to spare, so I tried for a fuel consumption record. Cruise set at 100 km/h on the nose, and it's more or less level all the way. That gave 6.7 L/100 km (35 mpg US). Driving it more "normal" 110 km/h it uses high 7's L/100 km (30 mpg US).

Trailer is a home-built. I want to keep all my roadrace stuff in the trailer and leave it there between weekends (as long as the bike doesn't need any work). Canopy, camping chairs, stands for the bike, spare wheels with the rain tires mounted, spare set of slicks, toolbox, camp stove all stay in the trailer, either in the storage box or packed around the bike.

sledstorm1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Tdi 4dr 6mt
We pull our MX bikes with the jetta and leave our 2010 F150 at home. The bikes are 2012 KTMs and weigh in at 460lbs. The trailer is from Menards and we found we get better fuel milage with our gear bags in the trunk and back seat. I traded my 2010 Tundra rock warrior edition for the Jetta and been smiling ever since. Going down the freeway pulling at 75mph we get around 35mpg the Tundra would have got 14mpg doing the same task. We travel every weekend approx 200-400 miles to get to the races. I see there is a trend of more and more people switching to cars and getting away from trucks to get there bikes to the races. With the slow economy and high fuel costs it only makes sense.
I will say your car looks bad ass!