Rotella T6 on 2015 Passat TDI ?

GPM2010

TDI
2005, 2015 Passat TDI & 2012 Jetta TDI
User manual suggests 5w-30, yet T6 is 5w-40.

Would it be OK to use T6 ?

Only a bit thicker when hot. Anyone have issues with this upgrade ?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
User manual suggests 5w-30, yet T6 is 5w-40.

Would it be OK to use T6 ?

Only a bit thicker when hot. Does anyone have issues with this upgrade?
The 507 spec is more than the 5/30 vs 5/40 it is about low saps and the life of you dpf. If you use T6 your engine will not implode but will probably shorten the lifespan of your emission controls ie dpf.
What is so wrong with using an oil that was designed for your engine? Price? It is up to you. T6 will not protect your engine any better than a 507 spec oil

Last edited:

GPM2010

TDI
Am I missing something ?

What does the dpf have anything to do with the oil since it's fuel exhaust related ?
Over a bit heavier oil when hot.

I normally use Amsoil 5w-30 and are looking for a cheaper alternative to paying $12 a quart when I can get T6 for $5 a quart.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
You need a low ash oil to keep the dpf from getting plugged to quickly (some oil still makes it out to exhaust).

I don't get you're spending more money on amsoil stuff when you could get the dealer oil for cheaper. How often are you changing the oil?

GPM2010

TDI
Victor,

It recommends every 10k and I push it to 15k like Amsoil recommends.

I have an Amsoil dealer close by. Have been using the 5w-30 european version oil synthetic on my other two vehicles. The dealer uses Castrol

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Am I missing something?
Yes, you are! It has nothing to do with oil weight it has to do with low SAPS I can't believe someone who has been a member here since 2011 does not understand that. There are many 507 spec oils cheaper than your Amsoil.

Last edited:

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Fair enough. From what I've read so far, some modern vehicles with dpfs can use it so take from that what you will, but i personally would be uncomfortable running it in my mk7 golf as the consensus is that it will shorten dpf life...

Your call, i used T6 for close to ten years in my mark 4 and it seemed to be a very good oil, but that was a much simpler engine.

GPM2010

TDI
Mobil 1 103469 - Mobil 1 ESP Motor Oil From Summit Racing website has a case of it for $97 minus a $24 rebate. And meets the 507 specs. Sounded like a good deal considering Amsoil case would be $140....

The Rotella T6 is supposed to have a zinc additive to help lubricity in diesels they say.
I'll just use it in my 2014 Super Duty truck then.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The Rotella T6 is supposed to have a zinc additive to help lubricity in diesels they say.
I'll just use it in my 2014 Super Duty truck then.
Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) is the most commonly used anti-wear additive in motor oils. It contains both zinc and phosphorus components that work together to provide anti-wear protection and minimize lubricant breakdown.

The zinc antiwear additives are there to protect the flat tappet cams which none of the CR engines have, they all have roller rockers and don't benefit from the antiwear additive.

ZDDP will poison the dpf.

750HMF

TDI
2015 Passat comfortline TDI
Rottela T6 also comes in a 5w30. Anyone here ever try it in there offroad only cars? I was debating if it's worth the switch due to it being a bit cheaper and rottela seems to have a good name for itself.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Rottela T6 also comes in a 5w30. Anyone here ever try it in there offroad only cars? I was debating if it's worth the switch due to it being a bit cheaper and rottela seems to have a good name for itself.

I am not sure you can justify the cost/benefit vs a 507 oil. Of course is your call.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
No, but I ran Rotella, Chevron, Mobil, Amsoil, Peak(top up quart), and probably another one or two 5w40 oils. And Mobil and Rotella 0w40.

750HMF

TDI
I am not sure you can justify the cost/benefit vs a 507 oil. Of course is your call.
What benefit is there of running 507 oil in an off-road setup passat? I thought the whole purpose of the 507 spec was to protect emissions systems. Otherwise CJ-4/CK-4 oil would work just as good? Just curious, that's all.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
750HMF, you have a point about the 'off-road' part. Then I would vote for an 0W-40 CJ-4/CK-4 that is not predominantly Group III oil base stock and relatively high TBN. Amsoil, Mobil (Delvac 1) and Shell T6 (might be hard to find in 0W-40) brands (in alphabetical order) have one with fairly good reputations.

The above is not an exclusive list. There are of course other brands that also meet the above criteria and the cost/benefit changes depending how many miles you put on average per year.

750HMF

TDI
750HMF, you have a point about the 'off-road' part. Then I would vote for an 0W-40 CJ-4/CK-4 that is not predominantly Group III oil base stock and relatively high TBN. Amsoil, Mobil (Delvac 1) and Shell T6 (might be hard to find in 0W-40) brands (in alphabetical order) have one with fairly good reputations.

The above is not an exclusive list. There are of course other brands that also meet the above criteria and the cost/benefit changes depending how many miles you put on average per year.
Oh ok, but how come a 0w40 instead of the 5w30 that most vw507 are? Will the 0w40 cost a bit of fuel mileage for the sake of longer lasting engine?

I'm currently using liqui moly 4200, but I can buy rotella T6 0w40 localy for half the price of the liqui moly if it's an acceptable replacement.

Thanks

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm a fan of the Rotella 0w40, but there are hundreds of oils that are more than adequate. The 5w30 RT6 and 4200 among them. I wouldn't get too hung up on what the "best" oil is- just keep the sump full and change it at 10k and the engine will love it.

750HMF

TDI
Not really hung up on the "best" oil. Was mostly just curious if an "offroad" 2015 passat tdi would get just as good lubrication from a non vw507 that's half the price, since no longer concerned about DPF.

In the past I've run the T6 in my old 7.3s and a 6.5 diesel..... but those are totally different beasts compared to the TDI lol

Thanks for input

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree with turbobrick240. There are many HDEO oils that would do the job in your Passat for at least 10K miles or more (with oil analysis to go much further). My suggestion about the 0W-40 had to do more with getting the most 'spread' for hot/cold weather and other added beneffits. In that note oils with VW 505 spec would also work with your Passat Common Rail TDI without DPF:

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...9E98421802582D000613AC5/$File/BPXE-B33J98.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03101-0W-40-Advanced-Synthetic/dp/B00JGQLZSU
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-EDGE-0W-40-A3-B4-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-QT/35931146

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-fs#0W-40
https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-120760-Synthetic-Motor-0W-40/dp/B00HG76A9A
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W-40-Advanced-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/23636902

750HMF

TDI
Thank you how the info, I appreciate it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not really hung up on the "best" oil. Was mostly just curious if an "offroad" 2015 passat tdi would get just as good lubrication from a non vw507 that's half the price, since no longer concerned about DPF.

In the past I've run the T6 in my old 7.3s and a 6.5 diesel..... but those are totally different beasts compared to the TDI lol

Thanks for input

Please stop using the term "offroad" and just say deleted like it is. Unless it really is only used for off road/racing purposes only. It only serves to make you sound deceitful and everyone knows what you are saying anyway. The we site has a rule on this anyway.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=396162

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I’ve been running T6 5w40 on my deleted mk6 for about 100k km. Last winter I ran T6 0w40 because it got really really cold. I’m running 20k km oil change intervals. The oil is hard to see on the dipstick for quite a while when new. From the non existent EGR? I like T6 because I was using it it in all my vehicles, atv, small engines. The newest mix of T6 however they have removed the API Rating for gas engines, and I’m not smart enough to know why so I’ll likely stop using it in those applications but keep it in the TDI. I liked Buying it by the 5gal pail also. I’ve never done an oil analysis so I could be destroying my stuff I suppose. Also, Canadian Tire or my nearest Walmart do not carry VW507 oil, and the nearest dealer is 4 hours away so not using it is kind of convienent!!

750HMF

TDI
I’ve been running T6 5w40 on my deleted mk6 for about 100k km. Last winter I ran T6 0w40 because it got really really cold. I’m running 20k km oil change intervals. The oil is hard to see on the dipstick for quite a while when new. From the non existent EGR? I like T6 because I was using it it in all my vehicles, atv, small engines. The newest mix of T6 however they have removed the API Rating for gas engines, and I’m not smart enough to know why so I’ll likely stop using it in those applications but keep it in the TDI. I liked Buying it by the 5gal pail also. I’ve never done an oil analysis so I could be destroying my stuff I suppose. Also, Canadian Tire or my nearest Walmart do not carry VW507 oil, and the nearest dealer is 4 hours away so not using it is kind of convienent!!
Ok that's good to know. I see 18.9L Pail of T6 on sale at Canadian tire for $133 from time to time. Plus I just noticed that rotella has a $35 mail in rebate on the pails so that's pretty cheap!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
2015 passat tdi would get just as good lubrication from a non vw507 that's half the price, since no longer concerned about DPF.
The CJ4 is designed to maximize engine protection. 507 is designed to maximize emissions protection. Many variables regarding oil are subjective, but this question is easily answerable as the CJ4 is designed to provide as good, or better, lubrication for your *engine* than the 507.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
The CJ4 is designed to maximize engine protection. 507 is designed to maximize emissions protection. Many variables regarding oil are subjective, but this question is easily answerable as the CJ4 is designed to provide as good, or better, lubrication for your *engine* than the 507.

Also by definition a VW 507 and the CJ4 (or any other HDEO for that matter) are two 'different animals'. One might be better in terms of lubrication but factually we will not know unless you have many compared UOAs of the same engine in similar aging environments.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
If I had a deleted mark VI roller tappet engine, I would be running a 5w-30 or a 0w-30 HDEO depending if I was south or north in the winter year round and CK4 version. A light duty diesel engine with roller tappets is not pulling 30 tons. Your wasting fuel with a 40wt. oil. The PD is the only engine that needs a 5w-40 unless your engine is modified or pulling a trailer.

Last edited:

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
Also, Canadian Tire or my nearest Walmart do not carry VW507 oil, and the nearest dealer is 4 hours away so not using it is kind of convienent!!

You might want to check again... Canadian Tire has "Formula1" house brand synthetic oil for European engines that apparently meets the VW 507 spec.

No idea about the quality of the product, just saying that it does exist.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim