Windshield Wiper Adjustment

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I'm sure there is an easy answer to this one. Just couldn't quite figure it out and I'd rather avoid a trip to the dealer.

Windshield wipers are not adjusted properly and they just touch the frame of the windshield at the top of their stroke. Makes a little click noise on each wipe.

I don't want to scratch the paint there so I'd like to adjust it.

I removed the little plastic cap and 14mm bolt holding the wiper arm on. Thought that would let me adjust it. Wiper arm doesn't move. What am I missing?

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
Put the wiper arm up all the way and give it little wiggle the spring in the arm is binding it.

Archetype

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
Most wiper arms have to be lifted off of the wiper motor as there is a cog/gear type base that keeps the clock position of the wiper.

I figured out a neat trick with the wipers a few days ago. May be useful...

1.) Set your car to ACC mode
2.) Turn to off position
3.) Use the Quick Wipe/single wipe (Push the windshield wiper speed stock down once) feature before you get out the car
4.) Your wiper blades should stay in the Vertical position

Let me know how it goes!

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
Yeah you are going to have to remove the wiper arm from the motor assembly. Its not hard, just one nut to remove under the plastic cap, but when I did this (after a collision shop, removed the wipers, and for some reason took apart the entire wiper motor assembly to replace a wind shield...) I had to remove the nut and then relieve the force of the spring loaded wiper arm as I gently wiggled the wiper loose. It was stuck on pretty good.

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
The service position on the wipers is very helpful (up position).

I gave it another try and I'm not sure about how the spring could be putting pressure on it. It does seem stuck on there pretty good. Maybe I'll post a couple of pictures to be more clear about what's going on.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
I gave it another try and I'm not sure about how the spring could be putting pressure on it.
Newton's Third Law: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The spring pushes the wiper blade down onto the wind shield; because the spring is on the inside of a hinge, the force on the wiper blade side of the arm and the mount end of the wiper arm is inwards towards the car. If you don't relieve this force the wiper arm essentially wedges itself onto it's mount.

I think the easiest way of going about that is to put it in the service position and with the hood closed pull (fold) the wiper blade end back away from the wind shield until it stays in the pulled back position (best way I can describe that) and then while making sure the wiper doesn't slam back on the wind shield with one hand, start working the mount end off with the other (wiggle it a bit).

Last edited:

jayshultis

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
wiper puller

for the 99.5 Jetta they recommend a puller, I was able to remove it by carefully pulling straight up and wiggling the wiper back and forth slightly. It was just friction bound because of the tight fit, nothing is holding it beyond friction...

Skyhook

TDI
2010 Jetta
I'm sure there is an easy answer to this one. Just couldn't quite figure it out and I'd rather avoid a trip to the dealer.

Windshield wipers are not adjusted properly and they just touch the frame of the windshield at the top of their stroke. Makes a little click noise on each wipe.

I removed the little plastic cap and 14mm bolt holding the wiper arm on. Thought that would let me adjust it. Wiper arm doesn't move. What am I missing?
Living In Washinton State I noticed this same issue on the way home from the dealership the other day. Did simply removing the assemply and clocking it over one spline correct the issue or does it cause the blade to then go too far the other direction?

Played with this a little last night and was researching this morning and came across the service position for the blades.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Considering how new the car is, why not go to the dealer and have them adjust it? That way if it gets broken in the process, it's their fault.

Skyhook

TDI
2010 Jetta
Considering how new the car is, why not go to the dealer and have them adjust it? That way if it gets broken in the process, it's their fault.
It's already fixed. I was just a simple (I'm too lazy to go look moment and it was pouring rain out) post. I was pretty sure I already knew what needed to be done.

I build race cars on the weekends. If I need to go to the dealership to respline a windshield wiper arm for fear of breaking it... there is either a serious design flaw or I am incompetent and should just go shoot myself, as my peers would laugh at me.

Besides, the dealership is a fifty mile trip. It takes longer to get there than this fix should take.

I'll save the trip to the dealership for things that will actually cost me more money to fix than on my own.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
It's already fixed. I was just a simple (I'm too lazy to go look moment and it was pouring rain out) post. I was pretty sure I already knew what needed to be done.

I build race cars on the weekends. If I need to go to the dealership to respline a windshield wiper arm for fear of breaking it... there is either a serious design flaw or I am incompetent and should just go shoot myself, as my peers would laugh at me.

Besides, the dealership is a fifty mile trip. It takes longer to get there than this fix should take.

I'll save the trip to the dealership for things that will actually cost me more money to fix than on my own.
Not everyone has the same skill level as you, so what works for one may or may not work for another person.

I wouldn't drive 50 miles formsuch a minor issue either.

TDI
2010 be passat
Be wiper arm adjustment

So I loosened the nut just above the stud bolt and attached a small wheel puller on, tighten the wheel puller until it snaps free of the spline. Then you can remove the nut and readjust the wiper arm on the spline. The wheel puller tool prevents damage .