Japanese Mini Truck build

Airbags or Coilovers???

• Total voters

jda6988

TDI
none
Sweet build so far! I've got a truck just like it that hopefully one day I'll get a chance to lift and 4 link. Putting a diesel in it like your doing would be awesome too. How come you switched from the airbags to coil overs though? I'm planning to bag mine when I do it in hopes that I can still get it in my toy hauler.

FuelAddict

TDI
96 VW passat TDI (Donor Car)
Sweet build so far! I've got a truck just like it that hopefully one day I'll get a chance to lift and 4 link. Putting a diesel in it like your doing would be awesome too. How come you switched from the airbags to coil overs though? I'm planning to bag mine when I do it in hopes that I can still get it in my toy hauler.

Thank you. I decided on on coil overs over bags due to the reliability offroad. less chances of breaking with coil overs.

if you 4 link it on samurai axles let me know, i have a airbag bracket kit for sale ;)

FuelAddict

TDI
OK so here is an update. I have the mini truck in my new shop at my new house which has no power due to renovations. So, i have to use my generator to do any grinding and welding. I was able to get over there and get a few things done the other day.

I tacked the rear panhard brackets on and cut the bar to length. (below)

FuelAddict

TDI
2 out of the three motor mounts are complete. I also finished up the rear coil over crossmember.

Next on the list is to design the last motor mount and start designing the front suspension set up.

(Left Motor Mount)

(Rear Coil over Crossmember)

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
You do some great work! You ever thought about building a coil kit for samurais? I'd buy one, and am sure others would too

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Thank you very much! I wouldn't mind designing one but i would need a samurai to build the kit.
I'm sure that could be arranged, there's people all over the US with them. There is only a couple kits on the market currently. One is $1500 ish, poorly made, and I would never buy it. The other one is like $5000, but it pretty much turns it into a rock crawler only, with very little street ability

saganian1

TDI
2015 MK7 Golf TDI 6MT 5D
Hi FuelAddict, thanks for sharing your build, i think this is a remarkable project you took on!! Awesome job. Hope to see more of it. :D

FuelAddict

TDI
Hi FuelAddict, thanks for sharing your build, i think this is a remarkable project you took on!! Awesome job. Hope to see more of it. :D

I appreciate it! I have not been able to work on it much lately. The rear suspension is complete. I am now working on designing the front coil over brackets, panhard, etc. after that is complete, it will be a roller.

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
Have you gotten any further with your build?

FuelAddict

TDI
Have you gotten any further with your build?
It has been sitting in my garage for awhile now but i did dust it off and start working on it. I wrapped up a complete remodel/addition on my home a few weeks ago so I've had some time.

Update:
- Fabricated the front coilover suspension.
- changed the rear to air ride and welded up the brackets i had made already.
- stretched the rear about 6''

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
The TDI and original transmission acting as the transfer case - brilliant! Open or welded differential? What size tires will you be running? What's the final drive of the mini-truck? Will it be road legal?