2012 CR Jetta overheating

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Hey guys,

I’ve been tinkering with a 2012 Jetta tdi. It has an overheating problem but I have not a clue why. Blows nice hot air so I doubt the t stat is stuck. Changed the water pump and all that so I know that’s ok. Upper rad hose gets hot and lower is cool. Fans come on. No pressure in the system from what I can tell and never boils over in the expansion tank. I changed the temp sensor just to see if that would be it and its still getting hot. It will go up to 100c at idle and climbs over 122c(coolant light comes on) and rising when driving. My next step is to pressure test the coolant system. Anyone else run into a similar problem?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
No pressure in the system sounds like air. The water pump cant build pressure or circulate coolant pumping air.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The thermostat has nothing to do with the heater. Although it is rare, I'd replace the thermostat first. Which, I have bad news for you, is a time consuming process. I'd also get the plastic pipe that likes to break, and the oil filter stand gasket.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Coolant is ALWAYS flowing through the heater core, regardless of what the thermostat is doing. Thermostat controls the flow of coolant through the radiator.

You can just pull the lock carrier assembly into service position, you do not have to take it all the way off, I just do it that way because it is easier.

The plastic tube requires you to remove the oil filter stand, as it is attached underneath and wraps around to the bellhousing area.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Thanks oilhammer. I appreciate the info. I think I will pressure check the system make sure there is not a leak anywhere then aim to change the thermostat.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Having radiator hose hot on one side and cold on the other should have been the red flag for you.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
From experience the stats on vag group cars get stuck allways in the open position so they over cool the engine. I would say a blown head gasket but i would put a new stat and bleed the system just in case!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Could also be a blocked up radiator.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
It’s torn down now and waiting for parts to come in. Rad is good I checked it and I did a leak down test and it passed with flying colors. I have to say the thermostat is the problem. I will know by the end of the week for sure.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
With regards to tsat failure - does this tend to be a function of time vs mileage vs runtime?
For example, a car driven 10kmi/yr will have 12yr between tbelt service and therefore have a 12yo tstat.
But someone that drives 20kmi/yr will have 6yr between tbelt service, therefore the tstat will only be 6yo...
Would this make it less likely for one to see a tstat fail “out of turn” since its being replaced at a younger age (as a function of time) even though it’s seeing more mileage/runtime?

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I personally don’t believe it’s a very common problem. A friend buys a lot of these mk6 tdis and this is the first we ran into with a overheating problem. This car is pre emmsions fix also so I think this one was abused.