Buzzing N75 After Startup

jbourke367

TDI
99.5 Golf TDI
What would cause the N75 to buzz after ignition? When the car is started the N75 will continuously buzz until the car is turned off and restarted. I would say the N75 does this 2 out of 5 startups.The N75 was replaced a few years back due to loud buzzing after the car was shut off as well as limp mode issues. I have had this problem intermittently over the last year or so. After replacing the starter and alternator it seems to occur more often. Not sure if the warmer weather is having effects. There seems to be lots of threads of buzzing N75s after shutdown, not so many buzzing N75s after startup when the engine is running.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Only thing I can think of is some folks reporting crud in the vacuum system, from rusted actuators and such. I believe (please check) you can carefully clean these out with maybe some light oil (WD40) and/or air.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
try googling it, I remember reading a post with that problem in it recently, I don't remember where though

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Just out of curiosity, has anyone thought of putting a small filter in the line coming up from the VNT actuator? I wouldn't want to put much of one, but if you put it up at the N75 end, you could see if any debris was coming up the tube, and also keep it from being ingested into the overly expensive valve.

I would think that a small fuel filter intended for use on a lawn mower or something similar would give decent filtration while also being small enough to not act as a significant vacuum reservoir.
I know that there are also filters intended as last resort debris screens, rather than truly being filters, but have no idea where to find those little things. The ones that I've seen looked almost like a check valve, but with a fixed membrane in the disc, instead of a valve.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Resistance in that line would probably change the vacuum at the actuator, but try it and see

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
'Buzzing' is kind of the way the N75 is used by being fed a stream of on and off pulses.
I would suspect the ECM is activating it because of bad data or a bad connection.
Worst case being a defective ECM, best case being a loose wire.

The N75 is very easy to blow clean with air if you suspect rust or debris, too.

jbourke367

TDI
99.5 Golf TDI
Fixed the buzzing. Turns it out was my N18 buzzing. Since my EGR valve, and cooler have been disconnected for years I rerouted my vacuum lines. Removing the N18 from the system. The annoying buzzing is officially gone! Is it possible to hook up the ASV without an EGR valve? I’d love to get the car to shut down smoothly once again.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
How do I go about cleaning? Just spray through the ports with compressed air?
I sprayed WD40 in one of my N75 valves then lightly blew air through the 3 ports.
It did make a difference in the car running but did not last that long.

When I replaced it the car ran better.

My actuator was replaced a few years back. I did not have rust in the one I removed.