mk5 golf sport line 2.0 BKD tdi 4motion, tuning capabilities

Oyvindjs

TDI
Mk5 golf 2.0TDI 4motion sportline
We (me and the missus) recently aquired a 2.0 TDI 4motion 140 hp, 116K km on the clock, from our father in law. 6-speed, has a good ompf to it, i like it even though im a rotary engine fanatic. The wastegate has a tendency to get stuck now and then(wg arm gets stuck, has to be regularly lubed to work), venting all boost pressure. It resets when key off and on. Now, i _COULD_...swap the wastegate and WG-arm... but... the powerhungry retard in me does not want that.... Also.. the missus does not know that one can swap the WG arm only, as her father told her before we got it that the turbo is on its last legs...*
Ive seen that Darkside developments does some nice turbokits upping the power to 230ish bhp when ecu is remapped, and they are quite tempting. Has anyone here done a diesel powered 230ish bhp with this or similar kit? What can you recommend? Is there any major risks involved in this appart from the regulars like added strain on drivetrain etc? When will the injectors, dieselpump etc top out? I have no wag diesel tuning experience, so help is needed :D

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
You have lots of room for improved performance. I have one of Darkside's kits on a 2.0PD 8V and it is making right around 300/450 all-wheel. It does need more fuel above 3500 rpm, so we are looking at augmenting the PD lift pump. Your BKD head flows better from the start, so you probably have better potential. Mine is ported and bench flowed, has a stage 3 cam to get to those numbers with a GTB2260Vk. You need to watch out for which head casting you have on that engine, the early ones cracked frequently. Also recommend you look into head studs. I bought some from Matt Whitbread to ensure the head stays planted. Talk to Ryan at Darkside, he will steer you right. Great guy!

rspring

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta CR; 2011 BMW 335D
A couple of other points: with a significant turbo upgrade you will want to upgrade injector nozzles and clutch. My gut is you could upgrade to a smaller turbo and keep your injectors as-is, but you will still need to upgrade your clutch.