Drove new Golf TDI=Love What to do with my old rig???

02PSDV8

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Silver
Test drove a new loaded Golf TDI 6MT. They took $2000 off sticker- I was sold. Then it came to my trade. :( They only offered me $2000 for my 2000 Jetta TDI GLS 5 spd. The car is in great condition, well cared for 272k miles. What's it worth? I just put $4k into it 1 yr ago. new Bilstein HD's with new factory springs, DC clutch, vnt17 turbo, complete t4 injectors, 3 bar map, Malone tuned. Recent battery, brakes, tires, fan control module, electric fans, glow plugs, drivers side tie rod, 2 new oem head lights, 2 new oem fenders (replaced due to rust). Chris Hill (mrchill) did all the recent work on the car. Anyway, I'm sure I am forgetting something stuff but you get the idea. What's it worth to someone on this forum? Should I sell it out right? It has been a great car and after 11 years just feel like its time for a new one. I guess I have the itch! :D Thoughts?

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
Should I sell it out right? It has been a great car and after 11 years just feel like its time for a new one. I guess I have the itch! :D Thoughts?
Sounds like you have a winter beater to me. I'd keep it if you have the space. It's not like it's going to rapidly depreciate at this point. Take your time.

02PSDV8

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Silver
Sounds like you have a winter beater to me. I'd keep it if you have the space. It's not like it's going to rapidly depreciate at this point. Take your time.
I agree. But I already have a 2007 cummins crew cab as a 3rd vehicle, wifey has a Honda. Not sure how practical 4 cars would be. Although the thought has crossed my mind!

PlaneJob

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I had an ALH, a manual 2001 with 200,000 miles. I sold it outright on Craigslsit for 4500 dollars. It was in great, stock, shape mechanically- and was really falling apart on the interior.

I really miss the fuel economy of the ALH. I have had no problems with my CR TDI, but it does get about 10mpg less than the old car.

Then... you can read all of the HPFP threads and wait for the sky to fall, if that's your thing. A lot of guys here like to stress out about that - I think they enjoy worrying about the potential problem more than driving the car.

I love the technology in the new car - and the interior that is not falling apart.

path

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Test drove a new loaded Golf TDI 6MT. They took $2000 off sticker- I was sold. Then it came to my trade. :( They only offered me $2000 for my 2000 Jetta TDI GLS 5 spd. The car is in great condition, well cared for 272k miles. What's it worth? I just put $4k into it 1 yr ago. new Bilstein HD's with new factory springs, DC clutch, vnt17 turbo, complete t4 injectors, 3 bar map, Malone tuned. Recent battery, brakes, tires, fan control module, electric fans, glow plugs, drivers side tie rod, 2 new oem head lights, 2 new oem fenders (replaced due to rust). Chris Hill (mrchill) did all the recent work on the car. Anyway, I'm sure I am forgetting something stuff but you get the idea. What's it worth to someone on this forum? Should I sell it out right? It has been a great car and after 11 years just feel like its time for a new one. I guess I have the itch! :D Thoughts?
stick it on Craig's list. i think you will be able to get back what you spent over the last year.

i got a 2011 golf tdi every option. you are going to love it. forget about all this HPFP stuff. worry less, drive more. less than a 1% failure rate is not really something to fret over.

imccrazy83

TDI
2011 Golf
$2,000 trade-in seems more than fair. What do you expect them to do with the vehicle if they took it in on trade? They certainly can't retail the unit so they'd dump it on a wholesaler for $1,500 - $2,500

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Yeah, as a dealer they can't justify the cost... why? Because they have to pay themselves $90 an hour to do anything, even to screw something up.

If your car has got all these new goodies, it should sell around here for a good price. Wait to buy the new car until after you've sold your old one... and you'll get another $1,000-$2,000.

02PSDV8

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Silver
So got some good and bad news today. The stealer called me back and agreed to give me $3000 for my trade while still discounting the car about $2200 bucks. So I will be somewhere around $21800 out the door! Now the bad: the dealer called me back shortly after and said the car was sold! They have located the same car else where and will have it on thier lot this Friday- or Monday at the latest. Assuming everthing works out it looks like I'll have a new ride come next week! :D

Palladin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI w DSG
If you like the deal buy the 2011 and sell your old car privately. You really can't expect a new car dealer to give you top dollar trade-in for an 11 year old car with 200,000 miles on it. Remember they make money selling cars and this isn't something they're likely to put on their lot due to age and mileage. So they make you a low trade offer so they have room to make a few bucks when they wholesale it at auction.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Remember they make money selling cars and this isn't something they're likely to put on their lot due to age and mileage. So they make you a low trade offer so they have room to make a few bucks when they wholesale it at auction.
Many dealers also own used-car lots that are located somewhere other than their new-car facility. Any trade-ins by the boys at the new car shop send them off to the used-car salesmen across town. I think used cars are also sold to independent used-car lots that work with the dealer. Not all trade-ins go to auction. I would suspect few do. As you say, they make money selling cars. They make money off of the trade-in, and then make money off of selling the used car. Squeeze out the last drops from the lemon. :)