Boost Gauges

tdikb

TDI
2011 335d M Sport
Does anyone know where I could find a 2 1/16" (52mm) liquid filled boost gauge? I know that size is pretty standard, but I have not been able to find that size liquid filled. thanks

tdikb

TDI
2011 335d M Sport
A liquid filled boost gauge is more accurate. The first I heard about it was actually on this forum, I do not remember where tho, where a member explained the importance of accurate boost readings and the best way is with liquid filled gauges.

rickdick80

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 5spd, 2004, Reflex Silver
Liquid-filled gauges are not necessarily more accurate. They are more vibration-resistant. If your boost pressure fluctuates so quickly that the boost gauge needle vibrates and can't be read, yes, a liquid-filled gauge would improve readability. However, I put an Autometer Cobalt mechanical gauge in my '04 PD, and vibration has not been an issue. It also matches the interior perfectly. There was some initial buzzing (again, from boost signal fluctuation) but I tolerated it and about 10,000 miles later it went away.

Another option is an electrical gauge. For this you put an electric sending unit (pressure transducer) on your intake and send its signal wires to the gauge in your interior. Electric gauges won't buzz or fluctuate, and I believe they're more accurate when designed properly.

So if you're extremely concerned about accuracy to within 0.5psi (I'm not--you can't read the gauge that closely when driving anyhow), get an electric full-sweep gauge. If you want to save about half the money, get a mechanical.

Oh, one last thing--running the little hose from the upper IC pipe, back thru the firewall and into the gauge, I was a little short on hose and took a shortcut under the engine cover. Within 3000 miles the cover had chafed a hole in the side of the hose, and I had to do that job over again. D'oh!

Electric:
http://autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2568&sid=4

Mechanical:
http://autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3444&sid=4

hendomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
None At the moment
I put an Autometer Cobalt mechanical in my car and it doesnt vibrate at all. Very accurate when compared to VAG logs and is very responsive. Was supriseed to see pressure spikes that the sampling rate of vag com doesnt see.

Doesnt match my '98 green dash lights, but matches the Sony head unit perfectly sitting next to it. Very Blue...:D

I bought the electric seat heater blank from 42Draftdesigns. The steering wheel is in the way, but its handy to have anyway.

Instead of connecting it to the same boost hose that goes to the ECU, I mounted my pressure line right next to the ECU tap.

chrishenly

Gauge Accuracy

All other things being equal, you want the liquid-filled gauge--it will be more accurate as it is less affected by vibration, plus the gauges get liquid-filled versions (i.e., Auto Meter Pro-Comp) are generally the top of a given manufacturer's line. ***This does applies only to brand name gauges like Auto Meter, Stewart-Warner, VDO, etc... It does NOT apply to the $14.99 pressure gauge at the parts store!***

You also want a mechanical gauge; they are physcially tougher and don't suffer from the calibration problems that sometimes afflict electric gauges (electric gauges sometimes have trouble zeroing themselves at startup, causing accuracy issues).

I have the Auto Meter Cobalt oil pressure gauge (6121) on the left side of the Autometer 20020 mounting pod; the full-sweep 6191 voltmeter (electric, duh) is on the right. On my '03 Golf IV (the LED lighting is a perfect stock match due to the Auto Meter LED dimmer), I had to cut off the steering column grounding point and attach the brown wire which was there to the grounding point below the main fuse panel to fit in the Aeroquip -3AN teflon hose which I used to plumb the oil pressure gauge. I would strongly recommend all of Auto Meter's (and Aeroquip's) products; I will be adding gauges for boost pressure, pyrometer, oil temperature, and transaxle temperature, as well as fuel level and 'oil' temperature gauges for my veggie oil conversion, over the summer; stock double-DIN radio will go to the glove box and two 42draftdesign (http://www.42draftdesigns.com/categories/podsandpanels.htm) three-gauge faceplates will go into the dash.

Last edited: