Help! - 92 Jetta hit from behind.

92jettatdi

Hi peoples,
My 1992 Jetta TD was involved in a pretty serious accident on Friday night. There were three cars involved and one was written off. My Jetta sustained what seems to look like a gentle love tap by looking at visible damage. However in the moring when I started the car, I discovered that the exhaust has been torn from the turbo and is jammed up against the block. Also the car was parked and in 2nd gear with the E brake on. Should I have the tranny looked at? Besides having the rear bumper skin and panel that the VW symbol is on replaced, is there any thing else I should have looked at? The car is at the dealership awaiting the long weekend to end.

Thanks for you help.

Shawn

TDI ESEL

Veteran Member
TDI
Do we really need to know?
Welcome to southern Ontario.

A colleage at work had is suv rear ended. It bent the rear bumper and tagged the dif and pushed his truck into the car ahead, bending the front bumper.

Dif, shaft, and trans and tank were fine. He was concerned about the trans, but it sustained no estimable damage. Your dealer and adjuster will both look for this kind of damage, but I don't think they'll find any on your fwd car.

Why, were you hoping they'd find something so you could get another transmission?

92jettatdi

Actually I hope there is not too much damage, as I fear they may indeed write the car off. I just don't want the tranny to have issues 2 weeks later, and I am left footing the bill caused by this accident. I figure it won't take too much damage to exceed the value of a 92 Jetta.

My car did take a substantial hit, the car had been moved an easy 10'. The front of the other car was destroyed. The grill, all lights, rad pushed into the fan, hood folded like an accordian. This is why I am concerned about the condition of my vehicle.

Shawn

Smokescreen

Veteran Member
TDI
JettaTD, 1992, Tornado Red
Exhaust torn from turbo makes me worry cuz it is cast iron. If the turbo has sustained any damage at all and you are not covered it may not be worth fixing. Turbos are $$$. There could be damage to the unibody too. I would have that thing thoroughly checked.