fueld additive 2013 tdi

raymondtrudeau

TDI
2013 golf
fuel additive 2013 tdi

I have a 2013 golf tdi with 80000km on it.. what is a good fuel additive you recommend

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Try to find pumps that have already blended around 5% biodiesel.

If not you might want to see some CR owners who have used additives such as Opti-Lube, PowerService, Stanadyne, etc. and have done long term DPF soot measurements to verify no negative impacts.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Impossible question to answer. There are already a zillion threads on this, with sometimes heated discussion.
If I have time, I'll look up one of the better threads. I recommend you use the search function and do the same!;)

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
i personally like Liqui Moly LM 2002, after having tried Stanadyne Performance, lubricity, Optilube xpd, lubricity, Power service

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
i personally like Liqui Moly LM 2002, after having tried Stanadyne Performance, lubricity, Optilube xpd, lubricity, Power service

That's one of the BEST. I add it once a month or so;)

rsgrf999

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Premium 6spd
I've tested a wide variety of diesel fuel additives. I've seen the most gain from using Howes Lubricator Meaner Power Cleaner. Howes has been respected for years in the trucking industry for there Diesel Treat product. Their products are completely petroleum based which is crucial for the health of the injectors. I work at Napa auto parts and Howes products are a top seller along with Power Service products. That being said, at Napa, I've noticed that accounts that chose to use Power Service over Howes have increased number of injector sales verses those that use Howes. Power Service has been known to have alcohol based solvents in their products, which are murder for most diesel injector o-rings. I personally use a little Howes every fill up to ensure adequate injector, fuel pump, and upper cylinder lubrication. As a bonus I see at least a 50 mile gain in fuel economy per tank verses not treating a tank. I also notice better throttle response and more top end acceleration. Hope this post helps.

My avg. mileage is 575 miles to a full tank of treated fuel versus Without, 515 miles roughly. I do a decent amount of city driving working for Lyft. On my longer highway trips to Utah from Minnesota, I've gotten as high as 750 to a tank and My 2013 mk6 jetta tdi 6spd manuel is stock.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I use "Wynn's Premium Diesel Fuel Treatment".
I use it at every fill up. I've been using it since my car had 12,000 miles. I currently have over 197,000 miles with no problems with the fuel system.....

rsgrf999

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Premium 6spd
The diesel additive I've tested were the routine use type. Howe's Diesel treat has anti-gel without using alcohol based solvents. The main reason for pointing that out was to reinforce that a good quality diesel additive should only have petroleum based ingredients. Howe's just happens to be my favorite out of the routine use additives because that is the one I've had the best results with.

I've tested
-Howe's Diesel Treat
-Howe's Meaner Power Cleaner
-Am soil Injector clean with Cetane boost( I even come from a family with a long history of using Amsoil products.)
-Power Service Diesel Kleen
-Stanadyne Performance Formula
-Liquid Moly Super Diesel Additive
-Pen-ray Pow-R 365 (seems to work as good as Howe's, just not as easy to find)
-FPPF Fuel Power
-Napa CRC Fuel Therapy

I will end by saying that most of the products did make somewhat of a beneficial difference. I just noticed a bigger benefit with Howe's and Pen-ray over the others. I would like to try Wynn's but have yet to find a source. This all boils down to personal preference any way, but just wanted to share from my experience.

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
Supplement to add in Canada.

I have a 2013 golf tdi with 80000km on it.. what is a good fuel additive you recommend
Since you are in Toronto, Canada, the fuel to use in your tank does not need to have an additive, until the temperatures go down, and you want to prevent your tank from gelling.

IF you are filling up with Shell Premium Diesel, it already has additive blended at the pump, when you fill up. A supplement above that is a waste, as there is little additional benefit of the cost.

IF you are using regular Diesel in the Toronto region, any additive that has 2-EHN in it will add to the cetane value of the fuel.

It all depends on why you want to add the supplement.

All of the pumps in the Southern Ontario region are temperature blended in the winter so that gelling will not occur in the next two weeks.

(The refineries blend and adjust the percentage of D1 as the winter approaches, typical refill times are 1-2 days for most gas stations)

Only if you are traveling 1000 km in 1 day, would you worry about gelling in winter, then top up every 500 km, to get the lighter D1 as you go further north (N. of Huntsville anyway).

for reference, check this thread. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=17573

HTH

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
T
I will end by saying that most of the products did make somewhat of a beneficial difference. I just noticed a bigger benefit with Howe's and Pen-ray over the others. I would like to try Wynn's but have yet to find a source. This all boils down to personal preference any way, but just wanted to share from my experience.
How did you quantify the results with all your so called testing?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I, too, recommend trying Liqui Moly Super Diesel Additive.
I used it too but a little bit on the pricey side if you are going to use it on every tankful.

I also realize that the cost-benefit analysis is difficult to do with fuel additives but the Liqui Moly one is one of the most expensive per tankful.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
I used it too but a little bit on the pricey side if you are going to use it on every tankful.

I also realize that the cost-benefit analysis is difficult to do with fuel additives but the Liqui Moly one is one of the most expensive per tankful.
4 bucks a can

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
My favorite additives are Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat and PowerService Diesel Fuel Supplement (white bottle).

My main concerns for using an additive with every tankful are to increase lubricity and to control water. Providing anti-gel for winter cold temps and boosting cetane levels are of secondary concern. Water problems will get you in trouble long before anything else will.

Many people express valid concerns about lubricity but seem to forget about the need to avoid getting watery fuel. There have been HPFP failures with 2% bio use so using some bio to help increase lubricity isn't the cure-all. Slugs of free water in diesel fuel will destroy the HPFP in a CR diesel in no time at all and will do so faster than poor lubricity will. Free water in diesel fuel seems to be what's been killing HPFPs in CR TDIs and will eventually take out the injector pump in older rotary (VE) pump TDIs. Free water in diesel fuel absolutely must be avoided at ALL costs! :eek:

To avoid getting a tanks of water contaminated fuel, I fuel up ONLY at high volume / high turnover stations along major routes that do a lot of diesel business. I go where the big rigs go. I specifically avoid stations that rarely get any big rig traffic. A single tank of water contaminated fuel is all it takes to do a lot of damage. Not worth the risk IMHO. I go to high turnover stations (gasser business doesn't count) because the fuel is constantly being replaced, often daily. It is not uncommon for a busy truck stop along a major route to do more than $30k worth of diesel business in a single day. The local busy truck stop I fuel up at get an entire tanker truck (10,000 gallons) emptied there every day just to keep up with diesel demand. No worries about water at this station and the fuel is always among the freshest fuel in the region. Also should this station ever have a water problem, it likely will be caught early and very quickly corrected before a lot of diesel vehicles get damaged and making it less likely that I will end up with a tank of water contaminated fuel.

Bottom line is fuel up only at high diesel turnover stations along major routes (go where the big rigs go) and regularly use an additive to increase lubricity and control what water you can't avoid getting.

Good luck.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
4 bucks a can
You must buy it in very large quantities to get that price :)

Comparatively Howes Lubricator Meaner Power Kleaner is around $1.25 per tankful if you add 2 oz (which is more than what Howes site recommends in their site: 1 oz per 10 gallons).

I am not advocating one brand over another, just doing an cost comparison per tankful.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tomo, so you let the supplier tell you it is great and you believe them? That is not a quantifier. That is PT Barnum.
...and you continue to argue the point. Why not just leave the additive discussion to those that choose to use them;)?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I have used Opti-Lube XPD every fillup since our '13 Passat was new, except for switching to PS white bottle when the temps drop below 10F in the winter. It now has almost 49K on it. I have had no troubles; other than that I seek to provide no metrics or other proof of how well my method works. I don't see how anything meaningful along these lines could be done anyway, short of removing the HPFP, tearing it down, and doing wear measurements. Which is not gonna happen.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
...and you continue to argue the point. Why not just leave the additive discussion to those that choose to use them;)?
And all you guy's will do is tell each other how great the additive you use is the best thing since sliced bread because you use it. One guy in this thread said he tested a half a dozen or more ads and he said the one he was using as the best.........what does that mean in the real world? placebo effect? Spicer report only tested for lubricity and that is very dated info. Drink the cool aid boys. Power Service white bottle seems to be the best bet for water removal and even that is questionable.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MichaelB: And my point is: give it up. You're preaching to the wrong choir. Save your breath, or, just sit back and smile in the comfort of your superior (?) knowledge.

Spend some time at Vortex. I learned very early on to just leave the mod guys alone: 20"wheels, rolled fenders, baggers. They will do what they want to do, and that's just fine.

Of course, using additives isn't the same, unless of course you disagree with it, which you obviously do. You keep reminding us.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Every additive mentioned in this thread is a good product. If it's rated for the big rigs it's OK for our little VW TDIs. The big rigs have the same requirements for catalyst safe additives as we do so use whatever you want.

I was in my local Kroger store last year and there were around 30 bottles of these additives on the clearance shelf at $3.99 each, regular price $8.99. I bought them all. Both are the exact same additive, different packaging. Gunk doesn't make its own additives so it's either rebranded Stanadyne or Powerservice. My point? Buy what's on sale.

Drive more and worry less.

:)

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
MichaelB:
Of course, using additives isn't the same, unless of course you disagree with it, which you obviously do. You keep reminding us.
Yeah and you guys keep telling the newbees what is the best without telling them why (except the dated Spicer report). I'm glad I'm not new here as I might just believe you guys know something that I don't and run out and buy a bottle because the TDI club guys said it was great. n1das has given the best advice and DBW has examend many fuel pumps and injectors and promotes PS white to control water everything else is just I like because I like. Many here just like smelling their own farts

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Casual internet visitors, at any forum/blog, will always walk away misinformed. Most aren't willing to apply the necessary effort to climb the learning curve.

There is no misinformation in this thread. It is clearly all opinion, just like the vast majority of "information" on the internet.

It's very noble of you to attempt to protect newbees from misinformation. Good luck with that.

As for, "...Many here just like..." Insulting, disgusting, puerile. Worthy of banning.

Give...it...a...rest...life's too short.