Cruze Diesel is rated at 52 mpg highway in stick version, 37 mpg combined

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Speak for yourself. I personally know one TDI owner who has a deposit down on a Tesla Model 3 and there probably will be more of them in time doing the same.
96 Tesla dealers in the United States
4,355 GM dealers

I'd have to be able to find a Tesla dealer to be able to buy a Tesla. Tesla does not even have a dealer in every state.

I would not even consider buying a vehicle without a decent dealer and parts network.

Cruze or Equinox are worth consideration if you are enthusiastic about diesel. GM is making some great vehicles.

MRO1791

TDI
2015 Cruze TD (x2), 2009 Dodge Cummins
96 Tesla dealers in the United States
4,355 GM dealers

I'd have to be able to find a Tesla dealer to be able to buy a Tesla. Tesla does not even have a dealer in every state.

I would not even consider buying a vehicle without a decent dealer and parts network.

Cruze or Equinox are worth consideration if you are enthusiastic about diesel. GM is making some great vehicles.
Great points, here is another. Tesla makes a premium car, it is no doubt a nice car, has decent range also.. but after it reaches its need for a charge, how long does it take to recharge? Thus the limit for many Americans that like to take multi-state road trips to vacation and visit family. Those who can afford an extra car for commuting purposes, can have an electric for that, and provided they don't have a power outage in time of crisis... say Hurricane Matthew anyone? Then they can charge overnight.. but people who can't afford an expensive EXTRA car, the electric won't fulfill their needs, and that us unlikely to change for some time still. Charging rate, electrical grid limits, battery limits, all these have to be worked out to make an all electric viable for more people, this is where the hybrids come in, and the Volt, they seek to cover that gap, but they remain expensive for what they are, and the amount of fuel the cost difference can buy, it makes it far from a sound choice by economics alone, and that doesn't even get to expensive battery replacements and the diminished performance of batteries over time..

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Great points, here is another. Tesla makes a premium car, it is no doubt a nice car, has decent range also.. but after it reaches its need for a charge, how long does it take to recharge? Thus the limit for many Americans that like to take multi-state road trips to vacation and visit family. Those who can afford an extra car for commuting purposes, can have an electric for that, and provided they don't have a power outage in time of crisis... say Hurricane Matthew anyone? Then they can charge overnight.. but people who can't afford an expensive EXTRA car, the electric won't fulfill their needs, and that us unlikely to change for some time still. Charging rate, electrical grid limits, battery limits, all these have to be worked out to make an all electric viable for more people, this is where the hybrids come in, and the Volt, they seek to cover that gap, but they remain expensive for what they are, and the amount of fuel the cost difference can buy, it makes it far from a sound choice by economics alone, and that doesn't even get to expensive battery replacements and the diminished performance of batteries over time..
There was an article last summer, maybe, where they drove a tesla from ocean to ocean. They used the super charger network to determine the route. IIRC, they stopped to recharge every 200 miles and the charges took 30 minutes. I'll see if I can find the article and link it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Yes, looking at the pictures and commercials, I think the Cruze hatch is similar in size to the golf, not the Sportswagen.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I looked it up on edmunds. The golf is 168 inches long. The GSW is 180 inches. The Cruze hatch is 175 inches. So it's about half way between the two.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Ok thanks kjclow. it is a pity that the Cruze is smaller than the Jetta/Golf/GSW. In this case, in my view, the capabilities and advantages of a light duty diesel engine are underutilized.

MRO1791

TDI
There was an article last summer, maybe, where they drove a tesla from ocean to ocean. They used the super charger network to determine the route. IIRC, they stopped to recharge every 200 miles and the charges took 30 minutes. I'll see if I can find the article and link it.
That is interesting, and it would be good to see the technology continue to get better.

I did some math on that 200 miles, with 30 minute charge stops.

Compare to a typical gas car, assuming 400 mile stops, and 15 minute fuel time.

If both did highway speed of 60 MPH, and total trip was 3000 miles..

The Tesla would take 60 hours of time, vice 52 hours for the gas car.. now extend the range on stops for the gas car to what a diesel can do, and see a bigger gap.

Of course the limited locations of the super chargers is an obstacle that ties the Tesla to a very limited route.. again, we are not there yet, and most people can't afford the cost of a very expensive Tesla.. but those that can, by all means buy one, that might make the technology better and cheaper to the point where it might make more sense for others.

DieselZappa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
When I worked at a VW dealer, we had a customer trade her 2006 Jetta TDI in on a diesel Cruze & she loved it. Still running it daily pulling a small trailer around for her business. Can't remember what year that was...maybe 2010 or so?

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I am interested in the Cruze diesel so I contacted the largest Chevy dealership in the city yesterday and was told they would not be getting any '17s. "Allocation," they said.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There's an ad for the hatchback on the back of a magazine I received recently with the usual made by the marketing department "interview" with engineering about how useful and trendy hatchbacks are. Read that and got in my 18 year-old Golf hatch to drive to work. GM is on top of this.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
There's an ad for the hatchback on the back of a magazine I received recently with the usual made by the marketing department "interview" with engineering about how useful and trendy hatchbacks are. Read that and got in my 18 year-old Golf hatch to drive to work. GM is on top of this.
I keep wondering when long sideburns and polyester leisure suits will be back in vogue again? :D

Looks like the "hatch is back"! Next will be "minivans". I would be nice to see "style again" rather than every sedan taking the shape of a jelly bean. Now here's a prime example of old style:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am interested in the Cruze diesel so I contacted the largest Chevy dealership in the city yesterday and was told they would not be getting any '17s. "Allocation," they said.
Helps keep the price and demand up. The diesel allocation is working pretty good for them on the Canyon/Colorado. Last time I looked, there were maybe a dozen in the Charlotte area but only one with the long bed. Of course it was also about $43K US. That's not going to happen.

MRO1791

TDI
Interesting article.. and note the comments from the radical anti-ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) people chiming in. I commented on another forum about this, and that VW going away from Diesel and to EVs, hybrids.. was to appease the anti-ICE people, many of whom are in regulatory agencies. After what they did, they needed to cave to limit the massive fines that were possible. It is sad, because it leaves open a segment of the market, I'm glad to see GM is going to move into that market, but the customer is best served when there is competition, having both VW and GM in competition would make both OEMs cars better. I think the '14 and '15 Cruze TD's were made better specifically to compete with VWs.. Competition is a good thing, cheating, destroys that and we see that with VW being forced from the market due to emissions cheating.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
..that MoPar convertible appearing from a time capsule erased my evening frown (mainstream media reaction)............

I'd say it's longer than the '57 Ford Hairline 500 Sunliner that I drove for two years at San Jose State.................

Good work Quad Eight

ez

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Such a cool powertrain in such an ugly car :( I really wish the Cruze offered better styling.
Really? I think it looks good! Big improvement over the previous Cruze or anything else to come out of Lordstown.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I thought the previous generation looked like all the other stuff out there. Civic, accord, camry, corolla.... The new one at lesat has some different lines. Although the hatch reminds me of the focus.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I thought the previous generation looked like all the other stuff out there. Civic, accord, camry, corolla.... The new one at lesat has some different lines. Although the hatch reminds me of the focus.
Except I don't think any of those cars came in a hatchback in this country.

More hatchbacks are always a good thing, but I still don't think we're going to get the diesel with a hatch in the US. Or a manual transmission diesel at all in the Cruze. And although the exterior is OK, I don't think I could bear to look at that interior for any length of time.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was referring to the sedans since the hatches are only now making a return. Civic has a hatch for 17. The Cruze announcement has said that they will offer a diesel with choice of transmission in both sedan and hatch across all trim levels. I will believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your link is not working.

Worked from my iPad at home but wouldn't work at work. Oh well

Last edited: