Timing moved & noisy IP

Ironforger

Veteran Member
I Noticed my IP was getting noisy, so I checked the timing, and it was too far retarded. I adjusted the IP sprocket, and got the timing back to dead on, but the IP is still noisy as hell. It just sounds way to loud to me, like a loud tapping racket.

Also, the idle seems to flutter a little. Otherwise the car funs fine, very powerful.

Co-incidentally, this is the second time in 6 months that my timing has mysterously changed. The last time, it was WAY advanced, like off the chart advanced. Yea, I torqued the sprocket bolts mighty tight each time.

Now, I don't know the history of this IP, since it is a replacement. It was changed out before I got the car in an effort to diagnose another issue (which has since been resolved and unrelated to the IP). So, I do have the original IP, which has about 100k on it.

Opinions/suggestions? I'm told that the IP may be going. Are there any vag tests/readings I can do to check the IP? I'd like to be sure it's bad (if possible) before changing it out?

Thanks!

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
check the injection quantity. it should be between 2.0 and 6.0 (thats kind of an arbitrary second value). It shouldn't move dramatically.

any water in the fuel filter?

Ironforger

Veteran Member
runonbeer said:
check the injection quantity. it should be between 2.0 and 6.0 (thats kind of an arbitrary second value). It shouldn't move dramatically.

any water in the fuel filter?
No water in the fuel filter. I just changed it, and I drained the old one and didnt notice any water coming out.

I havent checked the injection quantity. How exactly can I do this with Vag-com? Is it one of the measuring blocks in the engine category?

Thanks!

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
yeah I think its group 001 and it gives a value with a mg/R unit.

I hate to say it but usually if a pump is loud, its mainshaft and/or lift pump have worn out. camplate may also be dug.