Converting to LED License Plate Lights the Easy Way

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
I ordered up a couple of WLED-x6 bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.com for less than $8. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2FWLED-x6.htm#photos

Here's the install.

Start by pulling the license plate light. Just gently pry it out using a flathead screwdriver.

_MG_0193 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Gently pry the back off.

_MG_0194 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Replace burned out bulb with new LED.

_MG_0195 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Reassemble.

_MG_0192 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Repeat for other side. No bulb out warnings and, despite how it looks in the photo, it's actually brighter than stock.

Virgilstar

Veteran Member
TDI
jsw 11
Nice mod!

BTW, what's the deal with the license plate surrounds? Anything dealer related (stickers, plate surrounds etc.) is the first thing to go on any car I buy. Can't stand being a moving billboard.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Nice mod!

BTW, what's the deal with the license plate surrounds? Anything dealer related (stickers, plate surrounds etc.) is the first thing to go on any car I buy. Can't stand being a moving billboard.
Well, for one thing, Archer's treated me very well, except the service manager, since I've bought my car. Even to the point of getting me the parts they could for the HID swap at cost.

Jim'stdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I got these bulbs and they weren't as bright as the originals. They also created a bulb out on the instrument cluster.

I'm looking at these.

Last edited:

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Toe all did you experience any code errors? Looking for a set for my jsw but can't find a definitive guide to what I need.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I'm just curious why you care to have brighter license plate bulbs. I'd much rather have brighter backup/reverse gear lights!

Personne

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 Golf Wagon DSG
I'm just curious why you care to have brighter license plate bulbs. I'd much rather have brighter backup/reverse gear lights!
Sharper modern look but as far as I am concerned, I would do it for safety reasons, brighter things appear somewhat closer than they really are.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
That's the part I don't get - why does having your license plate being brighter have anything to do with safety - the reverse (white) lights much brighter would make a huge difference when backing up the car.
If a car approaching you from the rear at night can't see your red tail lights, you're in more trouble than even having a brighter license plate can help!

CRJSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Im looking for LED's cause I use my hatch a lot and that ruins the incandescent bulb's really quick. So then I have to look at the info center flashing on and off telling me my plate light is out! Really annoying! Not to mention the people that think they have to inform me of this and flash there highbeams.
Thanks for the thread Toeball! I love the way the LED's look on the Ford Focus's I see running down the road. Nice and clean looking and the plates read clear, no blinding light to speak of.

Edit: Just placed my order, would be nice if the car bulb finder was a little more accurate. Planning replacing all my interior with the SBLED bulbs. Know a guy with a MK4 GLI with them and they look fantastic!

Last edited:

BoilerBrad

TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
LEDs last longer and produce a cleaner, whiter light. The fact that they last longer alone is why i'll be looking into this mod. Had a run in with the cops many years back because one of my two license plate lights was burned out. Not a good experience! :p

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Guys; www.performanceleds.com is a great source if you are looking for LEDs as well. He is a Vortex member, R32 driver, and a fellow enthusiast; so he is happy to go find whatever bulbs you may need if he doesn't have them in stock.