Extended Warranty - Good or Bad? 4 Yrs/150,000 Miles

RLS1400

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG Prem Nav
Hey folks. New to the TDI world, just purchased the following...

2009 Jetta Sedan TDI
6 Speed Manual
33,8xx Miles
$17,995

Got a really great deal on the car, way below any other TDI in the country with those miles, and fair price on the trade. When I got into the F&I office, I knew the warranty pitch was coming, but I kept an open mind. Ended up negotiating what I think is a good deal. Now, NORMALLY, I would not purchase a warranty, but I thought this plan was pretty good. Here's what I would be covered for (I know some of these don't affect TDIs):

Engine:

Engine block
Cylinder head
Rotor housing
Oil pan
Valve cover
Timing Cover
Internally lubricated parts
Oil Pump
Timing chain, gears, tensioners
Balance belt
Variable valve camshaft adjuster
Intake and exhaust manifolds
Harmonic balancer
Engine mounts
Water pump
Flywheel
Flexplate

Transmission, Transaxle, Transfer Case

Case housings
Housing covers and pans
Torque converter
Viscous coupling
Vacuum modulator
Transmission mounts

Drive Axle

Drive axle housings and covers
Axle shafts
CV joints and boots
Driveshafts
Universal joints
Flex discs
Driveshaft center support bearing
Driveshaft yolks

Front Suspension

Upper and lower control arms
Upper and lower ball joints
Hub and wheel bearings

Steering

Steering gear
Rack and pinion housings and internally lubricated parts
Power steering pump
Power cylinder assembly

Fuel

Fuel injectors
Fuel pump
All turbocharger internal parts and housings

Cooling

Radiator
Electric cooling fan motor and relay
Fan clutch
Fan shroud

Interior Climate and Comfort

Air conditioning compressor and mounting bracket
Compressor clutch
Compressor clutch pulley
Accumulator
Evaporator
Condenser

Brakes

Master cylinder
Vacuum or hydro booster
Wheel cylinders
Calipers
Equalizer and distributing valves
ABS electronic control unit
Wheel speed sensors and exciters
ABS proportioning control valves
High pressure hydraulic pump

Electrical

Starter motor
Starter solenoid
Alternator and mounting bracket
Voltage Regulator
Wiper motor
Headlamp swtich
Turn Signal Switch
Windshield wiper switch

Seals and Gaskets for all parts listed

Fluids when required for repair

Transferability ($50 to next owner)

Roadside Assistance (Towing up to 50 miles)

Car rental ($40 a day)

Trip Interruption ($150 per day)

Deductible $100

I know there are quite a few threads on this, but none of these warranties seem to go to the miles like this. I purchased it for $1,900 which I feel is a pretty good price considering some of the components covered.

The warranty will cover the car until 183,8xx miles, since it adds to the current car mileage. I drive about 35-40,000 miles a year, so I will definitely be able to hit it.

The company is Warranty Solutions, which is part of Wachovia/Wells Fargo. Local VW dealer does accept it.

So does this seem like as good of a deal as I think it is? Or am I nuts? I have 58 more days to make up my mind.

Last edited:

bruca003

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 golf GLS TDI, 2005 passat wagon tdi.
Welcome. My opinion.
Your vehicle still has factory warranty which is pretty good. It also has low mileage, even better! Are you mechanically inclined?... to fix the little things.
Change your oil ON TIME with the proper spec oil and your pocket book and engine will love it. Oil changes in diesels are very important. Usually the major components don't fail in these cars. When I purchased mine, 2 years 40k warranty was included. I bought mine at 80k off lease. They also tried selling the additional warranty, but I declined. I must add that they were really really pushing the warranty to the point where they discounted the price by $500!
At that point was furious! I told them why did they not include the discount at the beginning of our conversation....... I went on to say, because you had no intention to discount had I not fought you with warranty. Now it's too late. You lost my trust. They quickly drew the papers and off I went. Have a nice day Mr.
If you feel more comftorable to purchase then it's your money. I would save the money for regular maintenance.
You are buying a tough well built automobile that will last you a long time.
It is not uncommon for these cars to travel 400000km with just regular maintenance. Ie.. Oil changes. Timing belt.

Good luck.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The warranty will cover the car until 183,8xx miles, since it adds to the current car mileage. I drive about 35-40,000 miles a year, so I will definitely be able to hit it

I would read the fine print. Sorry this does not right, that is alot of miles to cover for warranty.

xracerbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
+1 on the fine print. I think you will find they have pro-ratings on engine components, or they warranty the part, not the labor to repair, etc. My 2006 made it to 200,000 with nothing major going wrong. Then in quick succession, I had the "normal" failures- DMF, camshaft, EGR cooler is now bad. Now that those are out of the way, I'm hoping to be good for a while.

RLS1400

TDI
There are no clauses about pro-rating, and nothing about labor. Labor and diagnosis is paid at prevailing rates according to published shop manuals according to this. The only thing that you need to do is all required OEM maintenance, and keep the records. I haven't found any bad things written about the warranty company, so it seems pretty legit.

What I like is that it covers things that can commonly break like the A/C system, starter, fuel pump, etc all the way up to 182k. But will any repairs add up to $1,900 by then? Well, hard to say. I guess it's a gamble.

Any more feedback or pointers would be appreciated, and I'll see if I can upload the terms on here so you all can read them and give feedback.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Well any car can have major expensive repairs.

The profit to the salesman and company is usually over 50%. So for every $1,000 you spend the insurance company has less than $500 to pay for repairs or they will loose money, something insurance companies do not do. Some people will get nothing back and some will get a lot more than they pay. Most will get far less. In addition you need to keep in mind that the insurer has worded it to eliminate as many expensive things as they can.

Remember that the seller is out to make money and they get to write the rules and set the price. They are not going to sell them at a loss so one way or another they are going to have you pay more than they will pay out.

Would you gamble with a car dealer who gets to set all the rules and knows all the odds?

Your decision has to do with the value of the piece of mind it gives you. If that is worth the cost then buy it. Don't expect it to cover everything however, most are written to keep cost down and exempt what they know will cost them money.

Good Luck

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
RLS1400 - I would double check one thing...folks often mistake the mileage the vehicle is covered for by adding the existing mileage to the warranty mileage. I would assume your 150K mileage warranty covers you to 150K miles. Typically, you do NOT add in the mileage the vehicle is at at the time of purchase so you cannot add the 33,800 miles to your 150K. It's a mistake often made by folks not familiar with extended warranties;)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I always suggest skipping the extended warranty. profit center for the seller and the company.

you might use it, but you also might decide to sell the car to some one who does not want to pay the difference, or it could be hit by a bus while parked.

also consider many items on the list are normal maintenance items. brake shoes and disks, brake fluid change, timing belt (and associated stuff) at 120kmiles,

on the pro side, I had a 100000 mile warranty provided by GM on a chevy van for some vibration, and got em to change a batch of seals just before the warranty went out.
good luck and enjoy the car.

RLS1400

TDI
Here is what I purchased, mine includes the 3 Star Plus.

https://www.warrantysolutions.com/autowarranty/b2bnlf/docs/3StarProgramBrochure.pdf

Read through the contract front to back, there is no maximum payout per repair unless it exceeded the Blue Book of the car. Labor is based on published labor guides.

Also, the contract specifically states that the 150,000 is added to the existing mileage on the odometer. This applies to used vehicles --- not new. So I would be covered all the way to 183k or 4 years from the day I purchased.

Last edited:

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
SWEET...just pray that they don't go out of business:eek: I purchased many years ago an extended warranty from Warranty Gold...very well respected company out of Texas and great write-ups. After 2 years, they filed bankruptcy. A class action suit was filed and we all got ZERO back which was very disapointing to say the least. From then on, I always stick with the manufacturers bumber to bumper warranty which is why I bought the VW Service Plan. I know that VW doesn't "own" it but they will stand behind it regardless of the situation which gives me great peace of mind:)

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
I'd give you 150K miles plus what ever your odometer reads if I have no intention of every paying out on it. This guy "Jim" reminds me of the credit card commercial where the man answering the phone says this is "Peggy"...I just had to start laughing:D:D:D

I, too, hope that you don't get screwed! maybe try to get your money back NOW before it's too late:eek:

RLS1400

TDI
Different company, the one I purchased is Warranty Solutions, part of Wells Fargo/Wachovia. This one is also insured by Heritage Indemnity Company, which has an AM Best rating.

It seems like I'll be in good shape, nothing funny in the contract, and they are backed with an insurance company unlike some of the other companies that have gone out of business in recent years.