2002 Jetta will not run when the outside temp is hot

Olduster

TDI
2002 jetta
I am having trouble with my mk4 Jetta. When the temp outside is cool it runs fine with no problems. However when it warms up outside the tach bounces around and the oil pressure light and the abs light flash on and off. It will then not start. It will run about 2 seconds and shut off. Any ideas?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Do you know what color your 109 relay is?
It’s located under the steering column, you need to pull the plastic panel and look.
If it’s black change it to latest which is grey.....
The black ones are know to be problems.
You can also check this is when it’s hot and shuts off, when you key the ignition to the on position, do you get a momentary low plug light? If no then definitely it’s the 109 relay.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Old fragile electronics. Nothing for it but to track it down. You'll find it.

Olduster

TDI
2002 jetta
Thanks I will check it. If this was a mid 80’s rabbit diesel I would be changing the fuse box. Have those improved?

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
The Rabbits leaked moisture at that end of the windshield. That was the problem with them. Your comparison is apples and elephants.

Olduster

TDI
2002 jetta
Thanks. I replaced relay 109 it started fine. The lights on the dash still came on. I plugged and unplugged the relays close to it and it has ran great for 3 days. Even with temps over 100 degrees. If am going to put the panels back on the dash.

Olduster

TDI
2002 jetta
Prairie view I under stand there is no comparison with the old Rabbits and this Jetta. All I ca say is thank god there is not.