car wont start AGAIN!

cbittner

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
I have a 2009 jetta TDI that has not started, then started and ran rough twice before. Well I just got in the car to go shopping and it started then coughed and died and wont start again. I know it is probably the moisture and gunk in the intercooler and I tried to tell teh VW garage that the last two times but they have so far refused to fix it. Before I possibly ruin the entire engine by trying again to start it, I called the dealership for a tow truck and loaner car, that was 15 min. ago and no one has called me back yet. They could have fixed this easily the last time it was in the garage since I told them of the service bulletin with the information they need but they want to do things the hard way!!!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That bites. Have it towed in and insist on a loaner.

You should also call VW customer care and document all of this with them.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
also, print a copy of the TSB, and bring it with you. show it to the service manager, NOT the tech.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I have a 2009 jetta TDI that has not started, then started and ran rough twice before. Well I just got in the car to go shopping and it started then coughed and died and wont start again. I know it is probably the moisture and gunk in the intercooler and I tried to tell teh VW garage that the last two times but they have so far refused to fix it. Before I possibly ruin the entire engine by trying again to start it, I called the dealership for a tow truck and loaner car, that was 15 min. ago and no one has called me back yet. They could have fixed this easily the last time it was in the garage since I told them of the service bulletin with the information they need but they want to do things the hard way!!!
Thats the problem when you can't convince the dealer that you probably know what the problem is and they won't atleast check. I'd take a quick look and if when you just brake the hose clamp loose and water starts to come out,close it up and have it towed. Trouble is when it get to the dealer they may force a start and then say "NO codes,NO problem. If some water is present in the cool side hose there is a problem. Take pics for proof. Intercooler Kits seem to also be on back order,so it may be awhile before you get one installed on your car.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f7/cr-cold-weather-inspection-4197/

dweisel

Audi TDI, VW TDI forum newbie
Car: 09 tdi Jetta Sedan-09 tdi Jetta SW-03 tdi Beetle
Mods: dweisel's stainless fuel sending rods

CR Cold Weather Inspection.
Just wanted to give all CR owners a heads up with cold weather fast approaching. Some CR owners including myself have found water and oily goo in their cold side intercooler hoses. Its usually not a problem if there isn't much there. At times though this water can build up enough that when it freezes or builds up at the low point in the coldside hose it can casue a no start problem. The inspection of the cold side intercooler hose is quite easy. First remove the plastic belly pan. After the pan is off look on the right side of the engine from below. You will see a rubber hose approx. 2 inches in diameter. This is the cold side intercooler hose. On one end of the hose you will see a regular hose clamp. On the other end is a band type clamp. The end with the regular hose clamp is the end you want to take loose. This end connects to a plastic duct. Loosen the clamp enough to slide it back on the hose out of the way. Now work the hose off the plactic duct. It may take a little effort as it does fit tightly. As soon as you get the hose started off you may get some water start to come out of the hose. Pull the hose completely off the duct. This will let you drain all the water(if any) There may also be some oily goo. This goo is from normal oil and water/dirt mixing together in the hose.The color of this goo can range from dark gray to tan. Various amounts of water have been found by owners. On my 09 JSW I removed approx. 1-1/2 to 2 cups. On my 09 Sedan the water was minimal. I checked my neighbors 09 Sedan and the water was also minimal in her inner cooler hose.

dweisel
LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY,LUBRICITY!

Here are a few pics of what you may or may not find.

Last edited: