www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old April 20th, 2011, 05:46   #46
gooselandR
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
I have no idea what that means.

It means you fail at 6th grade math.

You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn!....
gooselandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:51   #47
nate379
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 Jetta

I pay less for diesel than what gas sells for. Buy in bulk so I get a decent price.

Costs me about $0.08/mile in fuel to drive the car.
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:59   #48
SoTxBill
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightliner View Post
I am really questioning this guys!

* Diesel is so expensive.

* The expensive maintenance that is required.

* Timming belts at 120K

* DPF replacement also at 120K

* Poor fuel mileage (mine is a 09)

* The dealers cant give these things away anymore.

Am i alone???

when gas was a dollar, diesel was $1.10. when gas was $2, diesel was $2.20.
when gas was $3, diesel was $3.30, Now that gas is $4.00 I am buying diesel for $4.34 is I shop a bit and usually much cheaper on both. I have two vw's now. both are dsg... I get 38 mpg city and between 38 and 53 on the highway,, but usually its 43.7 mpg.

timing belts used to be due a 90k,, now they are 120k.

dpf... we have to see about..

mantanance?? its free up to 40k now as opposed to having to pay earlier..

newer jettas starting a $15k now...

so bottom line...

quit crying. gets your facts right and go buy a prius as your too dumb to drive a vw. other than the dpf.. you have been wrong about everything. on the dpf,, we need to see what happens... but no, my vw's have gotten better not worse.
According to statistics, every human has one testicle and one large breast.
98% of Lawyers give the rest a bad name.

Last edited by SoTxBill; April 20th, 2011 at 06:03.
SoTxBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 06:15   #49
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTxBill View Post
I get 38 mpg city and between 38 and 53 on the highway,, but usually its 43.7 mpg. There are several gas cars that can claim this.

timing belts used to be due a 90k,, now they are 120k. and they still cost more than any others

dpf... we have to see about..

mantanance?? its free up to 40k now as opposed to having to pay earlier..then afterwards it is more costly than most any other car

newer jettas starting a $15k now... not with a diesel engine they don't

so bottom line... you can spend less, both to purchase and operate, than a current diesel Volkswagen, if all you are concerned with is cost.

Bold is mine. So please, someone explain to me just in the monetary sense, how a $25k 40 MPG Golf is somehow cheaper to operate than a $12k 38 MPG Yaris? I'll break down the cost of both cars' PM schedules if you like. Keep in mind, I am a Volkswagen fan, and would rather chew my arm off than drive a Yaris every day, but when it comes to costs... Volkswagen loses. Now when it comes to driving comfort, looks, handling, yada-yada-yada, they are superb. But cost? Nope, they are just as bad as ever. Cheapskates and Volkswagens do not make good partners.

Last edited by oilhammer; April 20th, 2011 at 06:17.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 06:26   #50
120getsitdone

TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI
Fuel Economy: 40 to 46 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Bold is mine. So please, someone explain to me just in the monetary sense, how a $25k 40 MPG Golf is somehow cheaper to operate than a $12k 38 MPG Yaris? I'll break down the cost of both cars' PM schedules if you like. Keep in mind, I am a Volkswagen fan, and would rather chew my arm off than drive a Yaris every day, but when it comes to costs... Volkswagen loses. Now when it comes to driving comfort, looks, handling, yada-yada-yada, they are superb. But cost? Nope, they are just as bad as ever. Cheapskates and Volkswagens do not make good partners.
they are not as cheap as the Jetta is in the long run, when your Jetta lasts 100 times longer then a small, nonpowerful, heap of junk...
120getsitdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 06:34   #51
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120getsitdone View Post
they are not as cheap as the Jetta is in the long run, when your Jetta lasts 100 times longer then a small, nonpowerful, heap of junk...
Show of hands of new car buyers that keep their cars long enough for this to matter?

I have 282k miles on a 1996 Odyssey. My 1989 Toyota pickup in its current owner's hands has well over 300k. My 1987 Mazda B2000 had 404k on it when a deer took it off the road... are these all hunks of junk, too?

I agree, Volkswagens generally age very well. But the ones that I see here regularly with 300k+ miles on them are rarely driven by the original owners, and have all had quite a bit spent on them to keep them on the road.

Last edited by oilhammer; April 20th, 2011 at 06:41.
Old April 20th, 2011, 06:36   #52
nate379
Veteran Member

What is so $$ about a timing belt. Is ~$250 every 100k really that bad? Many vehicles run some kind of timing belt, so it's not like it's eclusive to the TDIs.

Can't really say on the new car cost. I have owned TONS of cars over the years (have 5 right now) but never bought one brand new.
Old April 20th, 2011, 06:42   #53
oilhammer

Quote:
What is so $$ about a timing belt. Is ~$250 every 100k really that bad? Many vehicles run some kind of timing belt, so it's not like it's eclusive to the TDIs.

Can't really say on the new car cost. I have owned TONS of cars over the years (have 5 right now) but never bought one brand new.
You cannot do a timing belt on a TDI for $250. Unless you DIY's M&P Prothe it, then you get to do a $2500+ valve job (or worse).
Old April 20th, 2011, 10:04   #54
Losha
Veteran Member

Many of you keep complaining about high maintance cost of vehicles specially german cars like VW/Audi, BMW, MB and that they always break down, parts are expensive hard to find someone that would work on them. Also many of you want all these cool luxury features that cars should have, like power & heated/cooled seats, navigation, laser guided cruise control, DVD player in headrests, 4zone climate control, lane change assist feature, power door locks, windows, mirror, for summer we need sunroof. For engine must have lot of power and awesome fuel economy and operate quite, oh and very low emissions, must have ABS, ESP, ASR, EDL ( for poor weather driving conditions), having air or hydroulic suspension would be nice too with normal, sport and comfort or off road settings, and many more features that available this days on cars and last is to have vehicle that is trouble free and cheap to repair/service. I know many of you will say I don't care about these cool features, but come be honest how many of you when bought your TDI or other vehicle wanted to have some of above or all of listed features for comfortable driving experiance?

Reality is that you can't have all in one package, if you want long lasting reliable cheap to operate vehicle then you will have to get rid of all those fancy features. Keep very minimum of powered features maybe have like CD player, PW/PL and cruise control, have manual transmission and cheap low maintance engine that is easy to fix and uses cheap parts.

I personally don't know anyone yet that owned a german vehicle then traded in for Asian or Domestic vehicle and doesn't miss their old VW/Audi or BMW, MB car. They all complained about how expensive it was to own operate it, but none of them said that they hated it because it was boring, uncomfortable, unsafe to drive. There is very simple rule that applies to everything, "You want to play, you got pay". :-)

For last, each of you look and think of How many of you, your close ones or friends would have been out of jobs if all cars or other equipment out there would been bullet proof reliable and never broke down, only needed simple maintance things like filters, fluids? Or try to think and put toghter a picture of how many people do you employ or give job to when you buy as simple as oil filter to your car? Here is rough picture, we raw parts supplier, then have manufactor, shipping company, wholesaler, retail store then you as customer. So your $10 oil filter keeps many people on job by the time you receive it from manufacture to you, then we have repair/service shops with mechanics that you pay to install that filter.

Malone Tuning Dealer for SD, ND NE, IA, MN
'06 Jetta TDI DSG - Malone tune, Bilsteins B6, H&R Sport Springs, GLI front end, HID
Losha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 10:16   #55
nate379
Veteran Member

What am I missing?
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=511

Quote:
You cannot do a timing belt on a TDI for $250. Unless you DIY's M&P Prothe it, then you get to do a $2500+ valve job (or worse).
Old April 20th, 2011, 10:30   #56
D-Cell_Mekanick
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45ish

Quote:
Coolant!
Old April 20th, 2011, 10:36   #57
oilhammer

Quote:
The coolant and the labor. Unless you work for free. Is your time not worth anything to you?

It is 4.5 hrs book time labor for that job on the BEW.

It is 2.7 hrs book time labor for that same job on a 2004 1.7L Honda Civic. The parts necessary, even buying at full Honda retail, is about $155. Aftermarket (but still good OE quality parts) is less than $100.

So, even if you were doing this yourself, the Civic would be cheaper and easier to do, and would require no special tools. If you were paying someone to do the job, the cost difference would be even greater.

Nevermind that every other single PM item on the Civic costs less.
Old April 20th, 2011, 10:51   #58
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
........Cheapskates and Volkswagens do not make good partners.
Truer words were never spoken,,,
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 10:55   #59
nate379
Veteran Member

I'm cheaper than all heck and honestly the Jetta is right on the top of the list of the cheapest vehicle I have owned as far as maint costs.

I have put more money INTO my truck than I paid for my car... by nearly 2x!
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:06   #60
oilhammer

Quote:
I'm cheaper than all heck and honestly the Jetta is right on the top of the list of the cheapest vehicle I have owned as far as maint costs.

I have put more money INTO my truck than I paid for my car... by nearly 2x!

You simply have not had the car long enough to warrant that comment. 5 years from now you will see differently. Your join date of less than 1 year ago gives you away. Don't get me wrong, I wish you the best, I really do. But your reluctance to understand your car's OBD system in prior threads sets the stage for someone that may not be as in love with the car in the future.

Last edited by oilhammer; April 20th, 2011 at 11:08.