Are all N. American BHW motors the same?

texascadillac42

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
After a quick tear down of the motor in my newly purchased Passat, it will probably be more cost effective to buy a running take out. Are all North American (US and Canadian) BHW motors the same? Are the ECUs the same as well? Thanks.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
texascadillac42 said:
After a quick tear down of the motor in my newly purchased Passat, it will probably be more cost effective to buy a running take out. Are all North American (US and Canadian) BHW motors the same? Are the ECUs the same as well? Thanks.
Just curious, but why are you tearing down the engine and planning on a replacement? It's a pretty costly event.

texascadillac42

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Yea, the car has had a long and unlucky history. I updated the thread to mention the newest developments. Hopefully the motor I have lined up will work out well and we can finally get this car back on the road.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
texascadillac42 said:
Yea, the car has had a long and unlucky history. I updated the thread to mention the newest developments. Hopefully the motor I have lined up will work out well and we can finally get this car back on the road.
Yes, they are pretty nice automobiles, once you get past all the engineering faults VW cursed the engine with:(. From what I can tell, to get to that point (not totally verified yet) is about $2500.00 in unscheduled maintenance events (B/S, hex shaft/chain drive/ ceramic glow plug replacement).

texascadillac42

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I sure hope they are nice automobiles. Having never ridden in a B5 TDI, Im hoping its as good as everyone says.... I cant say enough good things about the Jetta TDI we have. And this new motor will definitely be getting the different BS assembly, and steel glow plugs. This way it should be a one time deal, and hopefully the car will go 100k for us with no trouble at all.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
ECUs are compatible with all the hardware, however, they may have different software versions flashed into them. To use the steel plugs, you need to get it flashed anyway so that won't matter.

If you're around town on the 26th, I could stop by and let you see and hear what your car should run and sound like. :)

texascadillac42

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I think I will be around, I will send you a PM when I know for sure. The ECU will be the last piece of the puzzle, if this flash something you can do, or do I need to visit the dealer for the programming. From the other GP threads that I have read, I am under the impression that it is something you can do.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Still working on getting VW to make the flash available to independent shops and enthusiasts.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Since you have the engine out, NOW would be a good time to change the oil chain/balance shaft assembly over to the newer geared assembly. That will save you a lot of hassles down the road...