P048C & TSB 2031583 (MY13 Jetta TDI SPW)

WallaceMI

TDI
JSW
Hi,
A couple days ago the engine light on my Jetta TDI SPW (MY13, 42k miles) came on. I read out the error code P048C ("Exhaust Pressure Control Valve Postion/Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance").

I found out that this is unfortunately a common issue with the exhaust flap in many TDI engines and there is even a TSB and Extended Warranty issued by VW but only for MY09-12.

I went to Ralph Thayer (VW Dealer/Service) in Livonia, MI and they told me that my MY13 is not covered under the extended warranty and I most likely would have to pay the repair of ~$400. I'm challenging them right now to cover it under warranty / good will. Let's see if this works out.

My question is (in case they don't cover it) how difficult is to fix that issue on your own? Did someone ever did that here and can give me some instruction? Does someone has the TSB 2031583 /5 as a PDF and can share it with me (please PM me and I will send you my email address)? I could't find it using Google.

I appreciate your help!

WallaceMI

TDI
JSW
...something strange happened today. The engine light was not on anymore this morning! So code P048C was probably not Pending anymore..

How could that issue fix itself? I didn't do anything besides driving to/from work in heavy rain. Any ideas?

not2shabby

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
It probably became unstuck somehow. My light has been on for a few days for the same thing. I'm going to try and loosen it up and see if it'll unstick. I'm at 125k miles now, so outside the 120k extended warrantee.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I just got the P048C Code too.

Question: How urgent is it that I get this fixed? Is waiting a few weeks and one or two thousand miles going to cause any further problem?

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
The exhaust flap is pretty easy to replace. Loosen and remove the V band clamps, disconnect the connector, and remove.

According to the CR TDI SSP manual, it has a part in low pressure EGR function, and regeneration of the NOx storage catalyst. You should be alright to drive it.

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I don't want to do the work myself. The car has 43k miles on it. It's still on warranty for this.
All I wanted to know is how urgent it is to get it rectified? Will it do other damage by waiting too long?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I'd argue that it's part of the emissions systems which is covered to I believe 80k miles.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd argue that it's part of the emissions systems which is covered to I believe 80k miles.
Thank you. I forgot about that 80k warranty. Is it also covered under the 60k powertrain warranty?
Between the two of them, I should be ok.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
There is an exhaust flap thread with part numbers and pictures and instructions. VW Care offered me to cover 85% at 43k miles. And I agree, it should be part of the emissions warranty!

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
The CEL just went out. Did the problem fix itself?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I just got the P048C Code too.

Question: How urgent is it that I get this fixed? Is waiting a few weeks and one or two thousand miles going to cause any further problem?
If you let it go for too long with the malfunctioning flap the engine won't be able to do a regen and will eventually clog the DPF. Better to get this taken care of within the next 500 miles.

The CEL just went out. Did the problem fix itself?
It may have popped free... However you should still seek a dealer to swap in a replacement as this is a part that has a extended warranty on it.

*edit*
I stand corrected on both points...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4815265&postcount=16
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4815274&postcount=17

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks ATR. Those are the two things I needed to know.

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
#1-According to the factory VW training manual, the flap only affects the regen of the NOx storage catalyst (which can't clog up) and doesn't affect the operation of the DPF and it's regen. Go ahead and read it for yourself, page 59 of the PDF
http://www.natef.org/NATEF/media/NATEFMedia/VW%20Files/2-0-TDI-SSP.pdf

#2-I just went out to my car and pulled out my warranty manual. It clearly states that the only items covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty are: Catalytic Converter and Particulate Filter, Engine Electronic Control Module, and On Board Diagnostic Device (OBD). Just because a failed component is part of the emissions control system does not mean it is automatically covered for 8/80, FYI.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
If you let it go for too long with the malfunctioning flap the engine won't be able to do a regen and will eventually clog the DPF. Better to get this taken care of within the next 500 miles.

the exhaust flap has nothing to do with the DPF regen.

references provided in last post above.

I researched this, and when my exhaust valve quit, first an error here or there, then pretty quick hard stop, I ordered it, and drove for a couple weeks, including trips from VA to VT and back, over a thousand miles in all, watching DPF regens via ScangaugeII exhaust temp increases.

you can take a month if you need to. in the mean time, your DPF will cycle, and probably the sulfur cat too, but without the ability to finely control the EGR, the NOX cat will not regen, and you will spew more oxides of nitrogen. you also will use a tad less fuel, since the computer will not inject the extra needed for the NOX regen cycles.

this should recover, however, and unlike the DPF, you will not end up replacing it from a couple weeks of neglect.

I could not find a good DIY on this, so took a couple photos and put them with some notes here

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/exhaust-flap-replacement-common-rail-tdi-engine/

good luck.

(but do get the valve fixed as soon as you can, NOX is not healthy stuff, and with summer weather, it makes ozone and nasty smog.)

Last edited:

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Happy ending to the P048C trouble code on my car. Even though my VIN wasn't on the list for the extended warranty TSB, the dealer called VWoA and got the whole thing covered. 100%.
Also, had the ECM recall and the rear suspension campaign item taken care of. And, a loaner car for two days.
Nice to report good news.

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
I had the code pop up at 55,xxx miles. I made the assumption that this was covered under the same TSB that covered my 2012 Golf, 44,xxx miles. I called the dealer and made sure that the part was in stock before I made the appointment for the repair. (Over 50 miles away).
When I got there they verified the issue. I was informed that my 2013 Golf was not covered by the same TSB, and I would have to pay for the repair.
They had done one the day before for $5xx.xx. I was not happy to hear this and told them that I would fix it myself since it is only two clamps and swap the valve.
The service manager overhead the conversation and came out of his office and said he would talk with the area rep and have the repair done with VW goodwill.
Bottom line, the repair cost me $0.
No raised voice, no stomping feet.
The 2012 repair originally cost me $8xx.xx for a repair that took 45 minutes or less, from the time it entered the service bay to the time I got it back, washed. I was reimbursed when the TSB came out.

woodsroad

TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Two of 'em)
At 92k, my 2013 JSW TDI threw a P048C code. I called the dealer, and they were familiar with the problem. They told me that the warranty was extended for this problem for some '13's to 120k/10 years. They ran my VIN and my car is covered 100%. 1 hour repair time.

HTH

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
It's really too ironic how VW will fix the broken flap, but at the same time is running software in our cars that has the very same effect as a broken flap, of preventing regeneration of the NOx storage cat!
Might as well not fix the flap next time, especially if the dieselgate fix for the gen 1 cars (larger NOx storage cat) leads to increased CO2 emissions (aka worse mileage).