balance shaft

pingaloca

TDI
golfIV
im sure this is a dumb question but here it goes anyhow. i had a srt4 with a similar balance shaft system. when i started messing with the car i removed the chain and left the balance shaft assembly. now i have not yet opened the oil pan on my passat since i got it less then a week ago. but the question is if i remove the chain besides the extra vibration is there anything else that could occur. does the chain move the oil pump or have any other purpose. just asking before i open the oil pan up and check it out

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Actually, chain drives the balance shafts that drive the oil pump. No chain, no oil pressure, no working engine shortly thereafter. This was covered in the long balance shaft module threads.

SonyAD

banned Borat
TDI
Peugeot 206 2.0 HDi
Such crappy German design. Why link the balance shafts to the oil pump? So the failure will compound? They should be driven separately by the crank so that one does not take the other out.

The Alfa Romeo 2.0 TS uses rubber belts from the crank timing pinion.

Last edited:

pingaloca

TDI
golfIV
lol i think i would have seen it when i took it apart. but thanks for the heads up. im sure now that thats a really bad idea thanks for the info guys