New Altenator , Now cant unlock the doors with Fob (Drivers door is ok)

tdi2003

TDI
2003 Passat
Hi

First post here.. :)

I am in the UK...

I have had my 2003 Passat TDI for about a year now, recently I had the Altenator pulley come off and as it had worn out the threads I couldnt get a new pulley so needed a new Altenator (it was re-conditioned couldnt afford a new one) , during this time the battery went totally dead and all the clocks re-set (didnt have to enter a code for the radio which is strange)

I have a few issues since then , but the main one for now is:

When i press the fob once it unlock the drivers door as normal

Pressing it again used to unlock the other doors, however this does not happen. The lights flash , and I can hear something in the drivers door, but none of the other locks pop up.

If i then press the button on the drivers door to unlock the doors it works fine. The boot (trunk) will open with the Fob fine, and they all lock with the fob fine.

I have read around on the Internet about what to do and the main things i can see are:

Disconnect the battery , as this will supposedly fix this issue.

Once answer something along the lines of disconnecting the battery , and then using a piece to connect the two wires together and then re-connect and this works.

Am I ok to do all this ? or as some people say will it mess more things up for me if i disconnect the battery?

Thanks hope someone can help

Waseem

TampaPassat

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
tdi2003 said:
Hi

First post here.. :)

I am in the UK...

I have had my 2003 Passat TDI for about a year now, recently I had the Altenator pulley come off and as it had worn out the threads I couldnt get a new pulley so needed a new Altenator (it was re-conditioned couldnt afford a new one) , during this time the battery went totally dead and all the clocks re-set (didnt have to enter a code for the radio which is strange)

I have a few issues since then , but the main one for now is:

When i press the fob once it unlock the drivers door as normal

Pressing it again used to unlock the other doors, however this does not happen. The lights flash , and I can hear something in the drivers door, but none of the other locks pop up.

If i then press the button on the drivers door to unlock the doors it works fine. The boot (trunk) will open with the Fob fine, and they all lock with the fob fine.

I have read around on the Internet about what to do and the main things i can see are:

Disconnect the battery , as this will supposedly fix this issue.

Once answer something along the lines of disconnecting the battery , and then using a piece to connect the two wires together and then re-connect and this works.

Am I ok to do all this ? or as some people say will it mess more things up for me if i disconnect the battery?

Thanks hope someone can help

Waseem
I'm interested to hear the answer. My fob works for the trunk and locking but not unlocking. Wierd.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
i dont exactly recall, but i think there is some trick like resetting the auto up/down on the windows.... try locking/unlocking the doors using the actual key in the slot?

tdi2003

TDI
2003 Passat
Joester said:
i dont exactly recall, but i think there is some trick like resetting the auto up/down on the windows.... try locking/unlocking the doors using the actual key in the slot?
Tried that , didnt work will go try it again even though its 10pm here will let you know what happens...

Maybe resetting the ecu although I dont know how to do that

I dont have a key lock for the passenger side so I can only try with drivers door i guess....

Last edited:

tdi2003

TDI
2003 Passat
I just tried that didnt work at all... same problem I did notice one thing However. When i press the key fob the first time the passenger and other locks move (well the black spindly things do) , but on second press they dont try to unlock strange....

I did find a new feature of my Car i didn't realise i had, holding the key in the open position opens all windows and the in locked position closes them all ... wooo hoo .

So i thought let me try it on my brothers Mazda 6... long behold as soon as i put the key in the alarm goes off lol :)

UPDATE: i tried the below

http://www.justanswer.com/questions...at-gls-wagon-key-two-presses-to#ixzz0gJEPC93Q

Put one key in the ignition and turn it on but don't start the car, put the other key in the driver door and hold it in the lock position (with the door open) and hit the unlock for about a second, wait like 5 seconds, then hit the unlock for about a second again.
dindnt work for me, i presume when he says hit unlock he means hit unlock on the key in the door ?

Last edited:

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
tdi2003 said:
I did find a new feature of my Car i didn't realise i had, holding the key in the open position opens all windows and the in locked position closes them all ... wooo hoo .
this is the "window trick" i was referring to, lol. well im out of suggestions, maybe someone else will come along.

tdi2003

TDI
2003 Passat
Hi

thanks for the help... i havent tried it yet , im at work and havent got my car with me..

I dont have a lock unlock button on the passenger side at all , just the little plastic thing that pops out of the door to show its unlocked. I couild try pressing that down i guess and seeing if it works.

Does that sound about right?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Two ideas:

Pull out fuse 14 for a few seconds. Plug it back in. Operate the fob buttons. This is a "power on reset" of the controller.

Put the key in the outside driver door lock. Lock the car and hold for a second. Turn the key to unlock door and hold for a second. Operate the fob buttons. This is a method to resynchronise the fob when its battery is changed.

tdi2003

TDI
2003 Passat
Thanks MOGolf for the help. however None of this worked......

So i resorted to disconnecting the battery for a few secs, and reconnecting and it has worked.. rest of the car seems ok... performance etc is OK i think :)

Thanks for all the help... I got it working at last but shame i couldnt do it without disconnecting the battery..