Car won't start with new remote keyless mod ,will start with old alarm module (B4)

TDI
j
Don't know if it makes a difference, but it's a 97 tdi wagon.

Update to my earlier post, I'm pretty sure the wires are correct, and when I plugged in my old silver box (357 953 233) it started. I put it back because with the remote keyless white box (1hm 937 045 Q), it won't start. Everything works, no fuses undone, battery was unplugged. Glow plug lights up, but no sound when I turn the key.

sunroof and cabin lights work, I unplugged the battery when I did all the work

It's not the ignition switch because the car starts fine with the old box, and it already had the recall done.

It's not the door wires or driver's side door handle because those work fine, checked door loom, no broken wires. Locking and unlocking car via passenger side door still results in a no start.

Also, under my driver's side windshield wiper motor area, there is no "alarm horn" like the jetta's do, pictured below. I never heard the horn beep or alarm activate before, making me think that my car has no alarm. BUT I thought all 1997 b4 passats came with an alarm standard, and I have the red led on the door.

This is not a pic of my car, but a pic someone posted of a jetta's alarm horn. Do passats have a separate alarm horn?

TDI
j
update: I just got the remote. Tried to program it by holding the key to unlock for 8 seconds. Instead of a horn, I hear two clicks. I pressed unlock on the remote, then turned the key to unlock. Tried a few times, the remote does not lock or unlock the doors.
here is a pic of my fuse box: there are a lot of missing spots, but I haven't noticed anything wrong with the car before, is something needed for the remote keyless?
All fuses are good.

No horn beeps, no lights flashing, nothing. I am wondering if the alarm module I got from a junkyard was bad.

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Your horn is in the passengers wheel wheel, hidden between the inner fender and the plastic liner. With the stock system, it does not beep upon arming/disarming.

And you know that the stock system includes a starter disable, right?

TDI
j
Chris Bell said:
Your horn is in the passengers wheel wheel, hidden between the inner fender and the plastic liner. With the stock system, it does not beep upon arming/disarming.

And you know that the stock system includes a starter disable, right?
Thanks, I saw paramedick's post about the jetta's alarm horn under the windshield. b4 has it under the wheel well, but why do some beep and some don't?

With remote keyless, it still won't start, I put the silver box, #357 953 223 (no "B") back and cut the jumper, it starts fine. Even with the jumper cut, car won't start w/white remote keyless box. Is there any way to diagnose if the remote box is good or bad? I got it used from a vw parts yard.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
whatsthegoodword said:
but why do some beep and some don't?
When I say stock system I mean the standard equipment keyed, non-remote system. Neither my late '96 nor early '97 beep when key-armed/disarmed. Perhaps Jonathan has the original GLX keyless module?

Last edited:
TDI
j
My 97 passat tdi wagon does not beep when key-armed/disarmed. It also doesn't show a red led.

With keyless module added, it does not beep, although I hear some clicking when I try to program the remote, remote does not work, and as a bonus, car does not start-no clicks, no noise. At this point, I am suspecting a faulty keyless module. Or I am wondering if the wagon+97 combination is somehow different, as there is no trunk release.

Under the fuse box, there were lots of plugs unplugged and 4 relay spots empty, I am assuming taht they are supposed to be like that.

OilSmith

Here is the remote programing steps
To program the remotes:
a. Put your spare key into the ignition and turn to the ON position, DONT start the car.
b. Close door. In the drivers side, turn the key to the left (unlock position) and hold it (for 8-10 seconds).
c. Alarm horn will beep 3 times. Let go of the key so it sits in the lock.
d. With each of the remotes, separately press the unlock button. Each button will cause the alarm horn to beep.
e. Turn the key to the left again and hold until the alarm horn beeps three times.
f. Done

Tim

TDI
j
Update: I got a new module, same part number, no improvement. Car still starts with silver box, no start with new white keyless box.

Looking at a wiring diagram, i see no reason why the new box would cause a no start. What modification could the last owner have made that would cause a no start with the new box and not with the old box?

when I try to program the remote, I turn the key in unlock, hold for 10 sec. Hear clicks, let go of key. Press unlock on remote, unlock key, hear clicks. Pressing unlock does not cause clicks at all. I am assuming that the clicks are when the horn should be beeping.

Any ideas why I am not hearing horn beeps (only clicks), not hearing clicks or beeps when I try to program the remote, and why the car won't start?

This is the second white keyless box, same part #, part # on remote matches, so I am doubitng that I got 2 defective remote boxes (from junkyard) in a row?

Last edited:
TDI
j
Now I tried jumping the 2 thickest wires on the wiring harness for the starter, (red-red/black on T6 plug) to bypass the alarm. Car starts, but still no keyless function, which is the whole point of replacing the silver box with the white box. Any ideas? Here is a wiring diagram.