www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old January 7th, 2019, 14:25   #1
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1mpg
Default Garrett turbo questions

ok so here is my problem. I NEED A REPLY ASAP as i have t get my car on the road and order a new turbo if need be which will take a week to get!!!
i cleaned out my intake system to get rid of all the soot and when i took the turbo out for cleaning i found the housing was cracked and i was no longer going to reuse it. called my local supplier in Kitchener Ontario and he ordered me a factory replacement for the vnt15 aka the gt17v in modern day terms
today he calls me and says Garrett USA sent him a newer style turbo as the vnt15 is no longer made or remanufactured...... the label on the turbo says gt17v (which would be correct as a modern replacement BUT!!) the serial number on the box and number on the turbo don't match (both of them when I search Garrett website keep coming back with European models 88hp and 109hp units not the NA 90hp unit until the last page which says VW new beetle / tdi ALH 98-05 ?? 90hp but all golf and boras are saying 2006 year with either the 88 or 109 hp units.. i thought the alh was made in both markets until 03?? makes me not trust their website at all. this also doesnt make me trust there stamp saying gt17v as if they messed up the PN# what else could they of messed up.
the label does say made in the uk so i understand why these units are coming up but did they share the same turbo as the NA market??
GARRETT wesbite search
LINK ATTACHED.
https://installerconnect.garrettmoti...ttMotionSearch
below are the PN# SN# and turbo number on the box and on the unit
https://ibb.co/84B7Ppn
https://ibb.co/HnzjV7F
if you noticed the lst 4 digits on the box show 9007s, meanwhile the turbo shows 9006s...... you cannot find a 9006s on garrett pn search but the lnk i shared above is all from the 9007s??? SO MANY THINGS ARE INCONSISTENT
my id parts guy called Garrett said they said it is a replacement but didn't specify which unit is it the gt17v or the VA(gt17v) my parts guy calls it a gt7va which is slightly bigger turbine but same as a gt17, and then, of course, there is the larger gt17vb which im not using. i do not want to install this turbo and find out i need injectors or a tune to not starve the thing. can my factory intercooler handle is aswell if it is slightly larger turbo running hotter??

Last edited by 03tdiwagon; January 14th, 2019 at 11:39.
03tdiwagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 20:22   #2
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): .

Dude calm down and stop writing with CAPS

As long as it bolts on to your exhaust manifold and the piping goes in the right place your fine... There's people here running massive turbos with tunes and stock intercooler with no issues. If you got a "bigger" turbo then that's a bonus, without a tune it'll still run the same like the old one did and you won't notice anything
2.2TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 00:44   #3
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

I wrote in caps for a total of 13 words out of like 400..the title showing urgency and the reply needed asap ...

And thanks

Last edited by 03tdiwagon; January 17th, 2019 at 18:18.
Old January 8th, 2019, 08:42   #4
Frans
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

TDI(s): Golf MK2 TDI

The supplied turbo, 713672 , will fit and work without any problems to the ALH engine.
Old January 8th, 2019, 09:10   #5
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

What frans said

and everytime you have a problem, half your title is in CAPS with exclamation marks making it seem like the world will end... like I said calm down and explain yourself without being so frantic... people will eventually not respond to you anymore if you don't
Old January 8th, 2019, 09:12   #6
Johhny04
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2tdi View Post
what frans said

and everytime you have a problem, half your title is in caps with exclamation marks making it seem like the world will end... Like i said calm down and explain yourself without being so frantic... People will eventually not respond to you anymore if you don't
+1 ........
Johhny04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2019, 14:00   #7
FrankenAudi

911 How can i help U .. My supplier send me the wrong f'in turbo ,, and i need the right 1 now ,, along with side order if Meds. Just joking ,, but i know that gut wrenching feeling when you need to get the job done and u second guest what the supplier sent . And you emotions swirling into a vortex of Mr. Green Hulk. LOL.
FrankenAudi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 14:24   #8
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

If the supplier insists it's the correct turbo then trust them. Doing your own Google "research" will cause nothing but headache, especially when you have no idea what you are doing.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 16:21   #9
03tdiwagon
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
The supplied turbo, 713672 , will fit and work without any problems to the ALH engine.
Thank you that is exactly what i needed to hear . Reassurance from somebody with a straight answer
Old January 9th, 2019, 18:46   #10
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tdiwagon View Post
Insert middle fingle imogi here "........"
If you're going to to continue to flip people off then good luck to you but you'll slowly alienate everyone here.
Old January 10th, 2019, 08:13   #11
Johhny04
Veteran Member

Quote:
Insert middle fingle imogi here "........"
No offense taken here my friend. Just trying to pass down some wisdom to you, from a member on here that has been active on this forum and community for a time, much longer then yourself.
Johhny04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 08:29   #12
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Quote:
Again if people just gave an answer would be no problems. Dont need a grammar or life talk. Most answers are usually Blaine and not informative anyways. Again i can make another profile if need be :eek.... being insulting to someone using many words is no different than me saying middle finger to you. Like the "i need pills remark" no different...... clearly if its a big question and im using caps its for a reason with some urgency. I need a answer of reassurance or clarification fast, nothing else to add stress. Which is all u did.

You must be single.

The moderators can easy track you IP and find out when you just make a new profile and try to hide.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 08:30   #13
FrankenAudi

Yes some constructive criticism was negative , and i made joking fiasco of it,, and that didn't help,, on the other hand try not to come across in a cyber dramatic way , like in caps and you need 911 help,, that's the way it came across,, And set yourself up for some imperfect human traits to transpire.
FrankenAudi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 09:52   #14
2.2TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Again if people just gave an answer would be no problems. Dont need a grammar or life talk. Most answers are usually Blaine and not informative anyways. Again i can make another profile if need be :eek.... being insulting to someone using many words is no different than me saying middle finger to you. Like the "i need pills remark" no different...... clearly if its a big question and im using caps its for a reason with some urgency. I need a answer of reassurance or clarification fast, nothing else to add stress. Which is all u did.
I didn't insult you.. if what I originally wrote is an insult, you need to check what you've written to others in the past

And I did help you afterwords but instead you decided to focus on me telling you to calm down and not write in CAPS... like I said, people here will stop helping you at some point

Anyways dude best of luck but I won't be helping you anymore
Old January 11th, 2019, 04:49   #15
McGuillicuddy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.6 L/100km

You are coming across like a teenager in a room full of men. I don't say that to insult you but to give you an honest assessment to reflect on. 2.2 was doing you a favour by giving you good advice. If you act like the sky is falling on every post then people will start to tune you out.