2000 golf Auto shift hesitation

Ray Whitley

TDI
2000 Golf
My 2000 Golf Auto has a very noticable hesitation when i back out of a parking place and shift from reverse to forward...it typiaclly takes from 1 to 2 seconds to shift into forward, sometimes maybe even longer.
I talked with the local VW stealership service dweeb and he says it is normal...
i don't know...this car has always done it but it, but somehow it just doesn't seem that it should act like that.
Any body out there have any experience / information on this.

Maybe my mistake was that i told the service dweeb that the car was still warranty!

Moo Car

Veteran Member
First of all asking a dealer anything is a mistake. I have seen dealer dweebage in action personally. But my 2000 Jetta auto works about the same. Takes 1-2 seconds before going into drive from reverse with a smooth shift that slides into drive without a lunge forward. I guess it's normal

Ray Whitley

TDI
2000 Golf
Moo Car...
Was afraid you were gonna say that.
I guess i'll have to live with it, but it is very annoying! It is the only thing about the car that isn't perfect
Thanks for the response...

Janusz

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000
My auto shifts very fast - the delay between Drive and Reverse is as in any good auto or even less. Certainly not in an order of two or even one second and for sure is not noticable.

I would suggest checking the fluid level.