www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old August 20th, 2010, 05:34   #16
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Eots; Thanks for posting the info. It sure helps keep track of things.

As for the aux. fuel pump. I have read & been told that the in-tank aux. pumps are cooled by the fuel in the tank and keeping the fuel level above 1/4 is better for the tank cooling. I am unsure of how much it actually helps i practice, but I do understand the logic of it. Yours may have just been one of those % failures. Heres hoping you get 300k out of the new pump.
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:39   #17
nhdoc
Veteran Member

How about changing the header of the post, since this apparently was NOT a HPFP failure.
nhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:59   #18
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S. View Post
Eots; Thanks for posting the info. It sure helps keep track of things.

As for the aux. fuel pump. I have read & been told that the in-tank aux. pumps are cooled by the fuel in the tank and keeping the fuel level above 1/4 is better for the tank cooling. I am unsure of how much it actually helps i practice, but I do understand the logic of it. Yours may have just been one of those % failures. Heres hoping you get 300k out of the new pump.
The Aux Fuel pump is mounted in the engine compartment, timing belt side, inches from the engine. There's no fuel to submerge it in. Just like the in tank pumps, it's cooled by fuel flowing through it.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 06:10   #19
Bob S.
Veteran Member

Opps, sorry about. Fingers engaged prior to fully thinking. That's the problem with taking things from the internet as gospel.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:54   #20
EOTS

Other than using good quality diesel from a reputable brand at a busy location, I will not change my operating and maintenance routine.

FYI, I am averaging 41.3 USMPG (5.7 L/100km) for the last 26 tanks. Best tank was 46.1 MPG (5.1 L/100km) and worse tank was 39.2 MPG (6.0 L/100km). Average tank range is 575 miles (925 km).

Oil change & filter interval is 5000 miles by VW.

Despite this "mishap", I still love my TDI.

If VW would drop the MSRP of the 2011 Touareg TDI by $10,000, I may see myself getting into one! Yes, I know I am day-dreaming.

In the meantime, happy dieseling!

EOTS
EOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:33   #21
Pelican18TQA4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOTS View Post
Other than using good quality diesel from a reputable brand at a busy location, I will not change my operating and maintenance routine.

FYI, I am averaging 41.3 USMPG (5.7 L/100km) for the last 26 tanks. Best tank was 46.1 MPG (5.1 L/100km) and worse tank was 39.2 MPG (6.0 L/100km). Average tank range is 575 miles (925 km).

Oil change & filter interval is 5000 miles by VW.

Despite this "mishap", I still love my TDI.

If VW would drop the MSRP of the 2011 Touareg TDI by $10,000, I may see myself getting into one! Yes, I know I am day-dreaming.

In the meantime, happy dieseling!

EOTS
Is the oil change interval different in Canada? I ask because the U.S. interval is 10,000 miles between oil/filter changes.
"I interviewed the late Steve Yokich, then UAW president, almost ten years ago. When I suggested that Detriot might be putting too many eggs in one basket with its utter devotion to SUVs at the expense of passenger car development and asked if the union might take a position in favor of more economical cars, he started screaming at me." -Jamie Kitman, Automobile
Pelican18TQA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:15   #22
EOTS

Actually, the recommended oil change interval are the same for both countries. The 10,000-mile oil change interval is recommended for straight highway driving. My dealer recommends changing the oil (& filter element) every 5000 miles or so due to the 25% city mileage and 75% rush hour highway distances I put on my TDI. Mind you, I have not been sticking with the 5000-mi oil change religiously, so far it has been between 5000 & 7000 miles depending on if I had gone on a long trip or just put on commuting miles.

An ex-coworker of mine drives an '03 or '04 Jetta TDI (5M) with about 120,000 miles on the clock. He gives his TDI an oil change regularly at 10,000-mile intervals with no ill-effect to the engine. The only thing that had gone wrong with his TDI was he needed to replace a glow plug at 107,000 miles. He regularly gets 750 miles to the tank.

EOTS
Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:51   #23
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, Citroen 55- 63

That aux pump is a standard-ish Bosch roller-ring pump; as used in the in-tank assemblies (and inline pumps on older German cars) in many other petrol and diesel vehicles.I'd say failure is unusual, but someone feel free to prove me wrong...
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:20   #24
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPM View Post
That aux pump is a standard-ish Bosch roller-ring pump; as used in the in-tank assemblies (and inline pumps on older German cars) in many other petrol and diesel vehicles.I'd say failure is unusual, but someone feel free to prove me wrong...
I agree that Aux Pump failures will probabky be rare. This is the first one I remember reading about since I started following the A5/6 threads after buying my '09.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:48   #25
Rod Bearing
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Several

Your dealership is taking you on a missouri boat ride if they claim you need to change your oil that often.

They're just milking you of your money and time.

Stick to 10,000 miles or more.
Rod Bearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:39   #26
nhdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Bearing View Post
Your dealership is taking you on a missouri boat ride if they claim you need to change your oil that often.

They're just milking you of your money and time.

Stick to 10,000 miles or more.
X2. (Never heard the term Missouri boat ride before but will have to remember that)

I don't think VW makes any distinction between highway and city driving. I don't even recall there being any "severe condition" change interval like there used to be, but even that wouldn't apply to normal city driving.
nhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:59   #27
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Watch "The Outlaw Josey Wales" for a Missouri boat ride definition.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:03   #28
ZiggyTheHamster
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdoc View Post
X2. (Never heard the term Missouri boat ride before but will have to remember that)

I don't think VW makes any distinction between highway and city driving. I don't even recall there being any "severe condition" change interval like there used to be, but even that wouldn't apply to normal city driving.
X3. Stick to the owner's manual. 10,000 miles. As I am all too aware (40k service was to cost nearly a thousand dollars if I hadn't decided to do it on my own!), dealers recommend unnecessary service because it gets you in there paying them $$$.
9W2 Bluetooth
ZiggyTheHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 16:44   #29
EOTS

You've got me swayed!

Any opinion on changing out the oil filter element at the 5,000-mile mark?

EOTS
Old August 23rd, 2010, 17:09   #30
amthatiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOTS View Post
You've got me swayed!

Any opinion on changing out the oil filter element at the 5,000-mile mark?

EOTS
I choose to change the oil and filter in mine every 5000 regardless of VW or other opinion, it makes me feel better. I'm an admitted dinosaur. Seems to me to be to much mileage on to small an amount of oil. Certainly can't hurt. Just my $.02 worth

Dan
amthatiam is offline   Reply With Quote